Welcome to Ivory Garden DID Support Forum

Welcome Guests to Ivory Garden DID Support Forum

Come on in and take a look around.

Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Create your chat login

Please use your exact IG-DID membername so that the avatar loading will work correctly

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

How can psychiatric service dog help those with DID.

sasha69
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by sasha69 on 5/24/2012, 7:31 pm

To answer this question, please allow me to tell you my story. I have been dx'ed with DID for a long time and have at different times been on the road to being co-consonances. In 2007, I received my GED and was accepted into the Adult Honor Society. My goals at the time was to go to collage and spend more time with my son. But I was not able to due to the misconception of DID. During the years that fallowed, I lost all sense of safety as well as living under the weight of having my childhood trauma and current abuse used against me.

When I finely received my prescription for a service dog, it felt like I was at the end of my rope. I had been looking for a group to help me get a service dog but none was available in my state and I could not afford to get a trained one. So I went online and found out that I could train my own! That information was a life saver for me. After living all this time forced to endure abuse due to my DID. I finely was able to have a companion that could go every where with me and keep me safe from those within the community that known how to use my early childhood not only to hurt me without reciprocation and make me look like the guilty party because I could not protect my self.

Needless to say my service dog has been my life saver and my main positive influence. She accepts me no matter which alter is out and changes her task according to each alters ability and needs. I got sasha2 when she was 2 months old. She became the center of my life. With my prescription I was able to take her every where with me and start her training on the job. She learned to ride the public bus, go into stores, and therapy appointments with me.

In the last two years, that she has been with me. I have trained her in
1. The American Kennel Club (AKC) Canine Good Citizen
2. public access training
3. disability-related assistance training

The above task can be found in more detail at the below site.

http://psychdog.org/index.html

Please feel free to ask any questions, I will be doing segments on the different issues surrounding having and training your own service dog.
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Re: How can psychiatric service dog help those with DID.

Post by krathyn on 5/24/2012, 8:17 pm

Thank you for your story.. it is amazing what these dogs can do. I did not realize you got them with a prescription, I wonder if anyone else is curious about that...

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, Easebeth, Petrea
Krathyn of We5:    we accept all intentions of support--

krathyn148@gmail.com
sasha69
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by sasha69 on 5/25/2012, 9:41 am

Why get documentation? Because it is a federal crime to falsify use of a service dog.

To have a service dog with out dispute by those around you. I have found documentation is the key! When I first started researching a PSD It was more for the ability to know that no one could tell me that I could not have sasha2 with me. I found out that a doctors letter was preferable but a prescription note worked just as well for me and allowed me to keep it on sasha2 so when we had problems all I had to do was show the note.

By law you need a recorded disability and a letter or note saying that a doctor agrees that a service animal will help litigate your symptoms in public. This letter should also acknowledge that a service dog needs to be with you constantly to help cover housing issues. By law a service dog is excluded from security deposit and fees from landlords. This does not mean that you are not responsible for damages that the dog does. The landlord or even store owner can and will expect you to pay for all damages done to their property.

During owner training, the other documents that will help you to have is a letter from a vet stating that the dog appears to be calm and alert. Proof of updated vaccines required by law in you area.

When owner training it is best to start with a vest stating that the dog is in training. At this time the dog will be considered as SDiT, Service dog in training. Most dogs will not fully calm down until they get to be 2 years old. So to allow those around you to be understand to beginners mistake of your dog. It is during this time that you will be working mostly with basic skills and manners in the general public. But as the dog responds appropriately to your needs now is the time to shape the behaviors that are needed to help with your disability.

As a SDiT, the dog must learn to focus on you and be able to respond to your actions. The AKC has programs available and listing to help you find a person to help train for the Canine Good Citizen or STAR puppy if you start with a dog under a year old. When the puppy is able to do the basic then take it out in public to get used to being around people. For me, I choice to carry sasha2 out in public first to let her get use to it. Plus if you depend on public transit, this will allow the animal to adjust to the motion and help prevent motion sickness. The key is allowing the dog to be socialized enough to feel comfortable around other people and animals, yet know when to respond to them. I will go into more detail for task and work skills in next segment.

A full fledged SD, Service Dog, will act appropriately 90 % of the time. This dog will have passed the required tests with flying colors. The dog will be able to act appropriately to its surroundings and respond to the needs of its human.

The above information can be found in more detail at the fallowing sites.

http://www.militaryhomefront.dod.mil/12038/Project%20Documents/MilitaryHOMEFRONT/Troops%20and%20Families/Special%20Needs%20EFMP/Service_Dog_Law_Change_2011.pdf

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

http://psychdog.org/faq.html

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/program.cfm

krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 5/29/2012, 1:09 pm

i am so glad you are posting this here!
a friend of mine at work has a guide dog and has to make sure of the dog's care as he is in public. people often want to feed the dog while it is on duty.
how do you avoid this kind of thing in your case?

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, Easebeth, Petrea
Krathyn of We5:    we accept all intentions of support--

krathyn148@gmail.com
sasha69
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by sasha69 on 5/29/2012, 3:20 pm

how do we handle public attention towards our service dog?

For us we also had to deal with sasha2 having food allergies. So it was quite easy to say please do not feed her, she will get sick from eating the wrong foods.

But it is also a safety issue for us because we do not want her to think all people with goodies our safe either.

The area that sasha is different from a guide dog, is that she helps us by evaluting our safety level around people and places. So we do have a command that tells her to check out a person.

the differents for a guide service dog is that the dog needs to be focus on the person and where the person is going.

a PSD has to be aware of the person emotional state of mind and the people around them.

both types of service dogs have to aid their humans in the area in which they have problems being out in public. So their task and works are different to meet the needs and safety of the person that they are attached to.

we hope that answers your question and thanks for helping us, gear our post towards the areas that many are interested in.

Post by Guest on 6/14/2012, 10:32 pm

I found this to be incredibly interesting. I am interested. Can you give me a step-by-step process for acquiring this? Do I go to my doctor? I just have no clue...
sasha69
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by sasha69 on 6/15/2012, 7:27 pm

Hi Erin,

we will try but to start have you looked at the sites above in my first couple of post,

please post your question here, for personal reasons we only respond to the adminstraters here through PM's.

to start with do all those within you feel safe with a dog?

we had some that where scared because of recent abuse, so getting a puppy helped those that had issues learn to be safe with our PSD.

can u take care of the dogs needs or do u have someone that can help u when u are not able to?

In truth dogs are very forgiving, the first year we were truama switching so much that it still amazes us how calm she is in uniform. She is still a typical dog out of it.

just ask question and we will answer as best as we can as we learn your circumstances.

Post by Guest on 6/19/2012, 2:22 am

Honestly,
No, not all parts of me feel safe with a dog. I have a fear, but some of me doesn't. My husband loves dogs though and knows about the DID and is completely cool with it. Plus, I have an 11 year old, an almost 7 year old and almost 4 year old to help out. How do I get a prescription for it?
unicorn-Ann
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

service dogs

Post by unicorn-Ann on 6/21/2012, 11:06 am

Hi my name is Ann and am new to the site. I have a 'therapy dog' - Miley. I have a script from my therapist, psychiatrist and M.D. that says due to my depression she can go anywhere w/me. At the time, I did not realize I had DID. When certain alters come out, Miley does not know what to do. She has since gotten 'used' to them, but still difficult at times. When an alter has been out for a few days or even a week and then I come back, Miley acts like I abandoned her and clings to me for several days afterward. I didn't even know you could train a dog like that. Do you think Miley could be trained?

kkruty
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

Post by kkruty on 6/21/2012, 11:23 am

I have a therapy dog but I didn't know you could get your Pdoc to write a Rx to allow you to take him everywhere. Boy that would have been wonderful if I had known that 12 years ago.Leo is my therapy dog and we got him registered at the age of one year. He goes with me many places but I didn't know he could come with me every where! If I had only known.!
sasha69
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by sasha69 on 6/21/2012, 5:30 pm

erinplus, unicorn-ann, and kkruty,

Psychiatric service dogs are fairly new. By going to psychdog.org most of these questions can be answered there.

You can go to your pdoc or md doctor to get a letter from them.

To save time and to be able to answer my doctors questions I printed out all the documents off this site to give to my doctor to answer her questions.

Now you can even have one of the surport people call and talk to your doctor to help with getting the person to understand what a PSD is all about.

It took me almost a year to get my first letter for a service dog and then another year to prove that I could take care of two because my PTSD is so bad I can not funtion well without my service dog in public.

as to working with those within sasha2 does have her favorites with us too. but we all depend on her to evaluate those around us and let us know our safety level with those around us.

what we did was shape the behavior that we needed from her. so when the headmates that did not need her so much where out we still encourage what the others needed to be safe.

can you journal or ask someone to communicate what you need the other to do to help teach your dog what is needed?

like I said we did majorty of the training on our own but we had a past history of training dogs. If your dog is allready therapy trained and has passed its public access test then you are already half way there!

all you need to do is check the task and work skills on the psychdog.org page and begin training for that. The one that sasha2 has really helped us is she knows when we are switching and has helped me to stop truama switching !

during these spells we would be hurt and was not able to protect our selfs. !

check it out for us having a PSD gave us the safety and ablility to heal!
sasha69
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

why documentation is so important!

Post by sasha69 on 6/21/2012, 5:58 pm

on june 20, 2012.

my service dog was attacked and injured by another dog. do to my DID alot of my abuse has been allowed and was not able to protect myself.

thanks to my records of shots and PSD letter and training I was able to prove and surport that sasha2 was not the instagater. Thanks to the other dog owner not wanting to deal with being charged by the police or having her dog locked up. She is taken the responsibility for all of sasha2 vet bills.

Because she is trained not to bite, the other dog was the only one to draw blo*d or wound. the other dog broke a bone in her back left leg and broke the skin. she has a soft brace on now but the 25th will get a walking splint.

we would not have been able to do this had we not kept a record of everything and was able to prove the other womans lies false!

so please if you do choice to train your own make sure that a part of you keeps everthing on record! It will help you when you need it the most!

unicorn-Ann
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

PSD

Post by unicorn-Ann on 7/17/2012, 11:02 am

Ty sasha69 for that site. I will check it out. I understand totally about documentation. It doesn't happen as much now as it use to, but I carry only one purse & I have key chain attached to it. If I want certain keys I take them off ring & keep i.d. & documentation in purse all the time. Sometimes alters used a different purse or just took keys & wuld drive somewhere w/o i.d. Or Miley. Now it's harder when an individual key needs to be taken off the ring. Plus, I used to just put Mileys's paperwork in purse when I only took her w/me. I don't take her therapy so I didn't use to put it in my purse. But alters used to come out after therapy go home get Miley and go somewhere w/o paperwork. Steve - the angry one - likes Miley a lot and wuld taker her w/him and someplace wuld ask for paperwork and he didn't hav it and get angry and nothing good wuld come of that. So I always keep it w/me at all times..
sasha69
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by sasha69 on 7/17/2012, 3:01 pm

Hi unicorn -ann,

sasha2 has a vest that she wears when onduty, the sad thing is we were just going for a walk in the feilds to give her down time to play when she was hurt.

she is doing better and has a vet appointment next month to make sure that all is well.

The vest was the best thing for us! we keep our wallet and papers in it so we no loose it!

she no wear it now cause of her hind leg but we hope she can wear it soon !

they do have a tag that you can put on her collor so you no have to worry about it no more.

we are looking into those soon because we now have two service dogs.

but with them the tag stays on the collor and non of us can forget it unless we change collors.

take care !
unicorn-Ann
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

service dogs

Post by unicorn-Ann on 7/28/2012, 8:09 am

Awwww sorry to hear about that Sasha69.

Speedy recovery thoughts coming your way.

I like the collar idea - never knew that. I have looked into vest tho.

Ann
Izabel
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by Izabel on 7/28/2012, 11:07 pm

Thank you for sharing about your service dog. I appreciate it.

That's a big accomplishment for you to actually train a dog to be a service dog, even though you were in need of a service dog to help you.

Service dogs for MPD/DID folks is a new concept to me. I'm interested in what a service dog is trained to do for someone with MPD/DID. Are they for MPD/DID folks who have a hard time functioning? Do they help with switching issues? Do the dogs help mostly with PTSD issues that people with MPD/DID have? I'm real curious as to what exactly service dogs do for people with DID. What's the general criteria for one to qualify or warrant the need/desire for a service dog to help someone because of their DID?
Izabel
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by Izabel on 7/28/2012, 11:11 pm

I just read your June 21st post. I guess I'll check out that site you noted there.

My Dog

Post by Guest on 8/31/2012, 8:30 am

My dog has literally saved my life (alerting someone I had overdosed). He will stop me from self harming (pushing my hand or placing his head on my body so I can't cut). He knows when something is wrong and if something is- he won't leave my side.

He definitely needs more training (obedience too) but I have always wanted to do this with him. Any advice you could offer would be great!

He is a rescued pit. I adopted him a year ago when he was 2. He was given up for not being aggressive and a "scaredy dog." He has anxiety issues and is scared of other people sometimes, but getting better. He's great with kids and we go to the dog park to work on socialization (he's improved). When he's with me I feel okay, like someone is on my side and there for me at all times.

Post by Guest on 9/15/2012, 7:04 pm

I've spent the past few months reading about psych service dogs and longing for one. I've always loved animals. We all have. Its one of the few things we have in common. Dogs aren't our very favorite, but we like them... we think it would be very useful. But i haven't been able to find out about how to get one or train one :( If you could give me tips on that it'd be great. I currently have a dog but he's going to have to be put down soon...
sasha69
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by sasha69 on 10/11/2012, 4:54 pm

Sorry everyone,

I just got moved to a new town and home. The move was great for us because we are no longer seeing the large number of people that have hurt us.

In the new place there are still people that we feel uncomfortable with but sasha and shadow seem to be aware of who to trust and who not to.

As to getting a service dog for DID, the basic service is for PSTD and self harm.

For me, they let me know when we are switching from truama and pull us to safety when we are near someone that appears to be harmful.

Due to the fact that the local mential health decided that my being abuse was only in my mind and the police would not help us find safety. We lost all sense of safety and ability to know who to trust and not to trust.

the mential health had all my so called friends believing that we did not know what we were talking about. the sad part is the ones that treated us with kindness we also lost faith in them because they would not stop the others from hurting us or give us safety.

we not only lost faith in ourselfs but those that we thought that cared about us.

sasha and shadow are not fooled by false words or actions they see the truth in people that do not want to be seen. In all of my years I have always trusted dogs before a human.

when you talk with your pdoc about a service dog go to sites at the begining and download the tasks and work that a service dog can do for you. That is how I did it.

Sasha is healing fine from her injury and shadow is learning on the job.

hope to come back soon to tell smoe more of my tale!

How has it helped though?

Post by Guest on 10/14/2012, 3:11 pm

What benefits has it done? Did you have to pay for it? Can medicaid pay?
sasha69
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by sasha69 on 10/14/2012, 8:01 pm

sorry, erickpluse,

but for now the cost and upkeep of a service dog is not surported by anything that I am aware of.

I cover the cost and have been lucky to have the emergancy bill covered by the people that own the dog that hurt sasha and my son has helped too.

as to the benifits of a service dog the list is long for me!

1. a dog can go into a place with me even on an airplane!

2. a dog can calm us and evaluate the people around me

(this is big we were so scared at times we no act well)

3. a dog can check out a room or scan the area if we no feel safe!

we had to learn to trust her cause she reacted to people we did not know about till later in our healing.

4. with safety we be able to eat, sleep, and talk with those that no judge us for being different.

if you go to the phsicdog. site in the first post it has a page of list of that a service dog can do for you and help you train one or find one that is.

Post by Guest on 10/15/2012, 2:25 pm

Oh Sasha69 that is so wonderful that you have a service dog and you were able to train her yourself. They are such a good companion and help in every way. I have a neighbor that has a service dog for his bipolor and yes he does have to have documentation with him at all times. His dog is so cute too, it is a little datson that he trained. Goes everywhere with him and is so well behaved and trained. Keeps him safe. I use to have a guide dog but he was more for my lack of vision, he was my eyes. Most people did not ask for documentation from me when I was out in public areas such as the bus and stores but I did carry it anyhow. I had to retire him due to the dog having his own mental issues. What I found out was that he had more than six puppy raisers when he was being trained as a guide dog and he had some severe seperation issues. I loved him very much though.

clmcol
sasha69
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by sasha69 on 12/27/2012, 8:13 pm

Hi Clmol,

we just got back online!

and that is so true!

I am just now starting to take one dog out at a time. and both of them miss the other when we do this.

in truth I and the littles feel safer with both of them !

Its going to take a lot of time before I will feel safe without them so I know that is also a factor to how they act when we do the rotation between them.

A service dog is only as good when they are able to go and be with you!
mystory
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by mystory on 10/21/2013, 8:07 am

Hi sasha69
I just noticed this thread and will read it all later. Thanks for it!
mystory
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by mystory on 10/28/2013, 11:10 pm

Sasha69 this is so great! What an amazing 2 years with finding the safety you were looking for with your doggies and the safety you deserve. Thank you for telling us about the way you reached for and received this level of safety. Hope you will always keep feeling safe to be able to write to us about the companionship and safety you have entered into. 

Post by Guest on 12/28/2013, 4:19 pm

I would love to have a dog to help. I would love to have one as a pet but in my situation, it is just not possible. But I can see how it could help. A dog might protect you from possible harm, or stop people from using intimidation to get their way.
BoyyM
boyym
boyym

Post by BoyyM on 1/5/2014, 8:00 pm

Thank you Sasha for the great blog on service dogs. For those interested we have a service dog section in the main forum that goes into the information of owner training and program dogs.

This may be the most awesome thing EVER

Post by Guest on 4/18/2014, 6:57 am

I just read ya'lls comments and proceeded to cry my eyes out! I have raised dogs most of my life and had know idea i could train them for such things i guess i never really thought about it. In recent months my symptoms have been so bad i havent even been able to be around my children. Could this help? Is this my Hope? I am going to look into this immediately thank you all so much for resources and comments. REALLY thank you!
whitetiger
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

Post by whitetiger on 4/29/2014, 1:12 pm

Thank you soooo much for sharing this!!! Need to remember to come back and read through everything later today.

Caring
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 5/27/2017, 8:35 am