Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

Dissociation and Dissociative Disorders: Challenging Conventional Wisdom, an article - Is DID a form of mass hysteria?

sasha69
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Dissociation and Dissociative Disorders: Challenging Conventional Wisdom, an article - Is DID a form of mass hysteria?

Post by sasha69 on 5/27/2012, 2:29 pm

debbie nathen showed up today and responed to this article.

wanted to let others have the same chance.

you have to sign up to be able to respond but you do not have to use it. we are doing it with an option of being emailed if others respond to it.

http://astridvanwoerkom.wordpress.com/2012/02/23/is-dissociative-identity-disorder-a-form-of-mass-hysteria/

mochabear
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Dissociation and Dissociative Disorders: Challenging Conventional Wisdom, an article - Is DID a form of mass hysteria?

Post by mochabear on 5/29/2012, 6:56 am

Thanks for posting. I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Re: Dissociation and Dissociative Disorders: Challenging Conventional Wisdom, an article - Is DID a form of mass hysteria?

Post by felicity on 5/29/2012, 8:04 am

Thanks for that - the actual article can be read here:

http://www.psy.nl/fileadmin/files/Psyarchief/Files_2012/Lynn_et_al.pdf

This was my comment:

Well, before putting any stock into the reliability or validity of this article - we again, as with the book "Sybil Exposed", need to take a look at whether this research is subjective or even 'scientific'. Or is it again more rhetoric based on sources that are even more rhetoric coming from the False Memory Syndrome Foundation (please review their record of publishing anything that will discredit the validity of any therapist who treats dissociative identity disorder, the reality of and/or any survivor's memory of abuse, and the validity of DID in general). We should see several articles much like this one, the book "Sybil Exposed", etc. as the nearing of the release of the DSMV - which will further validate the diagnosis of DID with 'scientific evidence'. Their only hope is that 'someone' out there will take them seriously and remove the dx from the DSMV - fat chance.

It only takes a quick look and scan of this article to see that it is written and published by the False Memory Syndrome Foundation folks. Elizabeth Loftus is the president of the Assoc of Psychological Science where this article is published. She is also on the board of the FMSF. Most every source is someone who is a member of or affiliated with the FMS also. Those who study DID, recovered memories, child abuse, etc. should become more familiar with the common names of those who belong to this group - as their research, books, etc. are agenda driven and not subjective. And, there is Debbie Nathan as a source in this article - surprise, surprise.

So, I feel that in order to comment here, I should actually 'have' to read this and respond to the actual article.

Okay, so the article follows as everything else published by them - prove their point that DID is not 'valid' as presented by 'scientific evidence' with their own articles and books as sources that were mere rhetoric with no scientific merit at all - mere opinions based on more opinions - (I have read Piper's and other of the books - what a joke).

And, of course, this article does mention the DSMV -

"The data we have summarized have received only scant
attention in the clinical literature. Nevertheless, they have the
potential to reshape the conceptualization and operationalization
of dissociative disorders in the upcoming edition of the
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSMV,
publication scheduled in 2013). In particular, they suggest
that sleep disturbances, as well as sociocultural and psychotherapeutic
influences, merit greater attention in the conceptualization
and perhaps classification of dissociative disorders
(Lynn et al., in press). From this perspective, the hypothesis
that dissociative disorders can be triggered by (a) a labile sleep
cycle that impairs cognitive functioning, combined with
(b) highly suggestive psychotherapeutic techniques, warrants
empirical investigation. More broadly, the data reviewed point
to fruitful directions for our thinking and research regarding
dissociation and dissociative disorders in years to come."

I think that if any of this were truly pertinent, empirical testing would have already been considered - the FMS should feel lucky that their data has received even scant attention. If they wanted to receive 'more' attention or even be taken seriously, perhaps they could have, by now, done their own empirical studies and presented them as such. Difficult, I would say to provide empirical evidence that psychotherapeutic techniques and lack of sleep 'cause' DID - ridiculous notion, in fact - isn't it? Even common sense tells us that, though in a few cases these facts might 'contribute' to DID or dissociation - they are not the 'cause'.

So, we see at the bottom of the this article:

"Declaration of Conflicting Interests The authors declared that they had no conflicts of interest with respect to their authorship or the publication of this article."

Really? Why did the FMS folks find it necessary to include this statement? Conflict of Interest? With whom - there is no conflict of interest relevant to this article. Dissociative Identity Disorder is a valid diagnosis as is evident in the DSMIV and as we will see, in the DSMV.

Btw, I declare that I have no conflicts of interest with respect to my authorship of this comment."

Please, do not consider this article having any merit at all - it is mere 'opinion' based on the FMSF's on-going and antiquated propaganda to discredit the validity of DID, child abuse in general, therapist who treat survivors of child abuse, and to protect those accused of child abuse.

If you read all of that - thank you for listening.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com

Whole>parts
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Whole>parts on 11/26/2013, 9:56 am

Shame on them.
purple lotus
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by purple lotus on 11/26/2013, 10:58 am

omg, are they serious? I had denial about my diagnosis. It came later in life and I saw 2 different psychiatrists and, then therapists before I accepted what I already knew. I've had the others manifest early on in life and then throughout my life. This article made me so mad I could just spit. 
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 8/23/2017, 2:44 am