Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

Debbie Nathan Sybil Exposed - Video - open for comments here.

felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Debbie Nathan Sybil Exposed - Video - open for comments here.

Post by felicity on 5/29/2012, 9:33 pm

This video was presented at the Spring 2012 series, Miscarriages of Justice and Wrongful Convictions on April 3

Please feel free to comment for the open public here - the comments section at youtube has been disabled and all comments removed - so go ahead and comment here.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com

glasscastle
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Re: Debbie Nathan Sybil Exposed - Video - open for comments here.

Post by glasscastle on 5/29/2012, 9:47 pm

Debbie Nathan does not make common sense and does not know what she is talking about. It was difficult to listen to her for almost an hour but watching the assistant was hilarious!

Post by Guest on 5/30/2012, 9:33 am

She makes generalizations about Sybil from conjecture. She makes assumptions to fit her own needs. (She says "so she probably" Shirley feels") I find it extremely annoying that she pushes Emily around to just push the ENTER button when any normal person could do on their own. She is obviously on a power trip. She has definitely got an agenda.
TeamMe
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

Post by TeamMe on 5/30/2012, 10:20 am

Someone stated that when the book and movie came out back in the 70's Debbie thought she was MPD. Then, she denied it and now is on a mission to make it completely disappear. Then, someone else said that maybe Debbie does have DID and was programmed/trained to become a journalist so she could do what she is doing now. We all know that FMS top people are abusers and are on a mission to hide SRA and other intense types of abuse.

Kay

LinkinParkChick
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

Post by LinkinParkChick on 5/30/2012, 7:47 pm

The woman is off her rocker. SRA is very real, whether it occurred pre-70's, 70's, 80's, 90's or today...... We know because it happened to us.
no amount of her ignorance is going to change what happened to us, or
the fact that we have DID. I (the core) talked with her and she tried
to convince me I was not a multiple..... in our opinion she is one fry
short of a happy meal.

We find it disturbing that so many times she stated her opinion as fact, as she did in her book. In this video she says that Dr. Wilbur signed her name using only a first initial because she wanted people to think she was a male doctor. Oh really? Did Dr. Wilbur tell Ms. Nathan this? No, because they never met. Ms. Nathan goes on to show photographs of Shirley Mason (Sybil) as a child, and photographs of Shirley's mother to somehow convince everyone that Shirley was not an abuse victim. Going as far as to say that Shirley's mother was skinny and a small woman. If 'family pictures' was indicative of what went on when the doors were closed, then most of us would never take them. When she wraps things up (not too soon, I might add) she says that Sybil was used as Shirley's name because they had to hide the fact that her story was not true. WOW. Makes a lot more sense that Shirley would be in hiding, not because they lied, but because they had the courage to expose the truth.

And we lost track of how many 'uhms' Ms. Nathan said. It was distracting. And her poor assistant. We hope she gets paid well to put up with that. That's all we've got to say.
Old Soul
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by Old Soul on 5/30/2012, 8:35 pm

How can you discredit someone around not being without providing credible yourself. All of the counter points made during her seminar can not be proved or disproved.

LinkinParkChick
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

Post by LinkinParkChick on 5/30/2012, 9:07 pm

@Old Soul wrote:How can you discredit someone around not being without providing credible yourself. All of the counter points made during her seminar can not be proved or disproved.

Hi Old Soul. :) I'm a little confused by what you are trying to say. Can you please explain a little more? Are you in agreement with Debbie Nathan? It's okay if you are, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'm just confused about what you were trying to say. Thanks!
sasha69
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by sasha69 on 5/31/2012, 8:39 pm

no matter what we no like her , she be just like the women in the groups always saying one thing and doing another.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 5/31/2012, 9:25 pm

Debbie Nathan is not credible for many reasons - for one, she uses sources in her book that backs her personal opinions about DID, she leaves out important sources that she should have to back her opinions, etc. etc. Her past books, public appearances, and affiliations have shown that she has one agenda - to disprove DID as a valid diagnosis, protect those accused of child abuse, and discredit anyone who treats or researches DID.

She, herself, has is in no way qualified to speak about anything concerning psychology. She is a journalist and openly admits that she has no education in the area of psychology - or anything but journalism, for that matter.

That said, watching her assistant is so distracting that I didn't hear most of what she had to say -

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com

Pegasusangel
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by Pegasusangel on 6/2/2012, 6:20 pm

I kindled her book because of her recent comeback. I read part of the introduction and it was very interesting, but the way she discredits everything and talks down on all three people involved really upset me. Maybe Sybil was not a true story (I don't have an opinion either way) But the people she is talking about sound totally opposite from the counterparts I read in the book. I do not think her book (Debbie's) is exactly factual. I also watched this video and she is so defensive about everything, kind of like she is hiding something. And the assistant, what a goof. lol
Sals Pals
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by Sals Pals on 7/17/2012, 11:03 am

Yeah, that assistant was distracting ok. Nathan has so little credibility i'm surprised she was able to get her book published.

If she thinks Sybil made things up she obviously doesn't know what she's talking about. Glad I didn't buy the book and borrowed it from the library.

Post by Guest on 7/21/2012, 11:30 am

"I" Ummmmmmmm.....

Pure Story Telling

First, I am furious that an educational environment would invite Nathan to speak about any psychological disorder.

Was there anything true between Nathan's repetition of - I and Ummmmm and the expectation of student Emily to push the return button for her. I had to laugh when Emily whispered to Nathan that all she had to do was push the button. Instead Nathan (until the end) insisted student Emily keep in the frame, so she could do this simple task for Nathan.

As for the content, Nathan treated history as if back then, all the knowledge of today existed and then in turn wanted today's knowledge to retreat back a dark hole.

Bottom line is that Nathan is a journalist rather than a health care professional who is trying to tell experts in trauma research what they should think.

Her explanation of dissociation is not that of pathological dissociation. In a new study (2012), researchers Nijenhuis ER, and van der Hart O. define dissociation: "Dissociation in trauma entails a division of an individual’s personality, that is, of the dynamic, biopsychosocial system as a whole that determines his or her characteristic mental and behavioral actions."

There is simply no comparison between Nathan's journalistic sensationalism and true dissociative identity disorder.

DID will be in the soon to be released DSM5 because there is no doubt in the minds of real researchers that DID is true and valid diagnosis.

One more point - if the story of Sybil was so wrong - why did C. Wilbur get so much so right when compared to what we know about DID today.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 7/21/2012, 12:19 pm

Well, that is a great point. She certainly learned a lot about DID from working with Shirley. Things that weren't available through reading back then. And, she used her knowledge to further treatment and research.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com

Post by Guest on 7/21/2012, 12:41 pm

I think she is self centered, opinionated and on an ego trip. She also seems to have a problem with us DID people being very intelligent. She states so as if that was ludicrous. She really does not have a clue and is highly insulting to any one who believes differently.

Post by Guest on 11/29/2012, 6:31 pm

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 11/24/2017, 4:21 pm