Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

My Psych Diagnosed it as Depression with Psychotic Side Effects, but I don't think thats right?

My Psych Diagnosed it as Depression with Psychotic Side Effects, but I don't think thats right?

Post by Guest on 9/3/2012, 10:07 pm

As I said above, when we finally worked up the nerve to tell the new psych (the old one can't prescribe meds so my mother sent us too a new one) about us, after listening for a little bit, she diagnosed us with Depression with psychotic side effects.... but although some of us do have depression, and although I do think that has a large part to do with it, I just can't see that being right because I fit way to many of the other Dissociative symptoms. I don't remember half my life, well, the half that wasn't so fun. I don't remember hardly anything between 4th and 9th grade, it's only at about the mid 9th grade that my memory picks up again. Some of the alters remember, but I don't. And I don't want too. They tell me it was bad, and I can remember the feelings, if not memories, enough to know I don't want too. I have a lot of moments where I feel really out of it, like i'm not there... but I am... you know what I mean? It's like... well, for instance, I don't remember the circumstances, it was in 8th grade, a part of my life I don't remember, but... I remember that I was lying on the cot in the health room, and that my dad was sitting there, only, I wasn't seeing this from me... was like I was seeing it from above, outside of me. Lots of other times i've had similar experiences, only not so severe. Then there's all of us, and even though we don't exactly switch out with each other as significantly as others, we're definitely different people. We can see what the others can see, if we want, but we don't unless we consciously try. There's this own little world where we all hang out when we're not out. It's odd. Its more like putting on a new face then being a new person I guess, in some ways... Thats how it started out at least, but over the past year it has been getting progressively more like new people. Oh... how to explain this... they were always different people, I never thought they were me, that just... Is impossible, they're not. But, instead of coming out of my head and into my body, at the start it more felt like I just let them ride along, acted like they wanted me too, or something. Now it more feels like they're really there, and in control. I've tried explaining this to my psych but... as you can see, I have a lot of trouble figuring it out in my own head, let alone explaining it. I'm just really confused, I thought I had them all figured out, and we had a nice thing going. But slowly its been getting "worse"... different, really, don't know if it's any worse or better. All I know is It's been getting more like what my friends with DID talk about. Like 50% of the time, I don't remember what happened when one of the others was there with me, or, less and less with me...

I just feel like if this were just psychotic symptoms, it'd be staying in my head. If they were still just voices/people in my head like it all started out, I'd agree... It just seems like too much now though. Gah... life is so confusing...

Nicolette
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Re: My Psych Diagnosed it as Depression with Psychotic Side Effects, but I don't think thats right?

Post by Nicolette on 9/4/2012, 12:14 am

I'm sorry you're having such a time with this.....I would be cautious of anyone dx'ing me in a short period of time. It takes alot of time to earn trust and show 'true colors'.
If you dont fully agree with the dx, ask questions. Why does the doc think that way?

I'm dx'd with non-manic bipolor and major depression and ptsd...in my area no doc will come out and say DID, but they somehow worked the levels of bipolar and ptsd to include DID....
I came out and told people straight out I had DID, was a victim of programing and that my mother and r*pist set me up to be hurt and because my mother and my r*pists friends lived on the same street as me I didn't feel safe. I ended in on a 3 day hold in H. they said I 'confused' my rapid thoughts to be other personalities. Something about a psychotic break, but i'm not dx'd as psychotic.

On the other hand there was info on this site about how DID/MPD was a fad dx in the past and now most docs are reluctant to dx it...

I probably didn't help much, been real emotional and scattered lately, If anything I want you to know I care and I'm reading

Nicolette

kkruty
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

Re: My Psych Diagnosed it as Depression with Psychotic Side Effects, but I don't think thats right?

Post by kkruty on 9/4/2012, 3:11 am

The diagnosis of GIG is still some pDox won't touch. it also has insurance ramifications that's why my DX is depression and ptsd. The pdoc and I know I have DID and I am being treated for DID. But you sound confused about your diagnosis. Maybe you can ask to be tested and see what you Pdoc says. I went through a series of half day long tests before my diagnosis was finalized. Secondly I am taking an anti psychotic medication for the noise and voices. It helps keep things a little more quiet. But I'm not psychotic. Just DID.
Old Soul
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by Old Soul on 9/4/2012, 3:29 am

Can't really add much that hasn't already been said. Lots of other dx's overlap with DID too, depends on the pdoc, and the pscyologist psychiatris treating you too....

Ask lots of questions, sounds like you are already a pretty big advocate for yourself, that's good and an important first step.

OS
Izabel
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by Izabel on 9/4/2012, 4:28 am

Hi Arcticwolf

I'm really impressed with all that you wrote, you explained yourself very well. I think what you've shared here is worthy enough for a copy of it to be presented to your doctor for her consideration. If she dismisses what you've presented to her, politely ask that she place a copy of what you've written into your records/file. Additionally, if your doctor is unwilling to hear you out, then I encourage you to send a copy of what you've shared here to the insurance company covering you. Above all, I recommend that you copy what you've posted, and save it/file it away for yourself.

Post by Guest on 9/4/2012, 7:27 am

Hi Arcticwolf,

My name is AJ, and I too am new to this. Well, like you, I've known about my friends (and some not so friendly) for most my life, and recently told a therapist about it. She doesn't think it's DID because I stay present even when another alter is present.

I would be interested in sharing our journey with each other. It excited me to read your way of thinking, of feeling and I wanted to congratulate you on being so BRAVE!Continue doing what you are doing, be true to yourself above all, and I would love to be friends.
TeamMe
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

Post by TeamMe on 9/4/2012, 7:39 am

I would question that dx if the pdoc isn't knowledgable about DID.
Don't stress to much over it.
Caring
Kay

Post by Guest on 9/4/2012, 6:37 pm

Thanks for all this help guys. Nicollete and Kkruty, thank you very much for that information, I was unaware of the hesitancy to diagnose DID. Old Soul, I do want to ask questions, but, I only see her once every month of two, as she's just the psychiatrist, and I see a clinical psychologist weekly to actually talk. She just helps with medication and diagnosis stuff. Oh, I also forgot to add I've also been diagnosed with PPMD (effects my emotional stability) and GAD as well as a panic disorder unspecified that goes with the GAD. Isabel, that's a good idea, I think I will save this to a word document and add it to the other crazy explanations I have saved for various different confusing things. I type/rant/write to help think through stuff. AJYumi, yeah! Exactly! "Present even when another alter is present" ... why couldn't I word that so simply haha. Definitly, I'll let you know of anything knew she comes up with. Team Me, I'm not sure, I'd have to ask her. I think she works more with depression and anxiety then PTSD and such, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for all the replies guys, lots of good ideas.
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 6/25/2017, 10:08 pm