Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

Keywords

• Reply to topic

Hypnosis?

Hypnosis?

Post by Guest on 4/1/2013, 7:43 pm

I was diagnosed about a month ago with DID. I'm 36 and had severe trauma in my childhood. I've had "Memory loss" and lost time. I also know I've driven my car when I thought I was asleep in bed. I haven't met any of my "alters" but my therapist wants to try hypnosis. I'm a bit terrified of all of this. Can anyone offer any advice?

Pegasusangel
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Re: Hypnosis?

Post by Pegasusangel on 4/1/2013, 8:05 pm

Well, Hypnosis can be a good thing. My therapist reads self-hypnosis scripts to me and I use them when I am at home in order to feel a little less upset. However I knew about most of my alters before I was diagnosed. I know that in rare cases they are so locked up that the therapist has to use hypnosis, but usually it's because they are sleeping inside. I have never had a therapist use hypnosis to access my alters. Normally they just come out when they want. Hypnosis is not scary it can actually help you feel tons better. Not quite sure if this helped or not.

Post by Guest on 4/1/2013, 8:53 pm

Just my personal experience speaking here, but hypnosis can also easily re-traumatize a person-- bring up memories before you're ready to process them.

I had it done by a well-meaning therapist years ago and had flashbacks where I'd scream bloody murder several times a day as a result. This therapist lived far away from my home and it took me 15 years to find someone else that could work with my subconscious (who were really my altars) Had I been able to continue with the original therapist it might have been different but my current t. advises against it, says that DID is really a self-hypnosis thing in itself so forced hypnosis really isn't necessary or productive.

If it were me I'd be asking about a more experienced therapist, one who deals with DID all the time.
Again, just my .02
jazzie

Post by Guest on 4/1/2013, 9:22 pm

Sals Pals:
My therapist took all my symptoms into account and gave me several written tests that I scored off the chart for DID. She wants to try hypnosis to see if she can meet any other alters. I just don't know what to expect. She says I have at least one other that is cognizant and capable as I have lost times...(i.e. last week I was driving to one of my offices and blacked out for about 30 minutes...I drove about 20 miles and when I came back into reality I had put on make-up purchased breakfast, and changed to a radio station I never listen to....or sometimes my adult daughter will call and talk to me but says it's not me, and I don't recall speaking to her but my phone shows I did have a call with her at the time she told me about) My therapist says this is an alter taking over and asks if there are triggers that I'm aware of but I can't think of any.

wanderbee
Less than 100 posts
Less than 100 posts

Post by wanderbee on 4/2/2013, 8:58 am

I had a similar experience as Jazzie. I also did not have a good experience. I kept getting these "fright attacks" and needed to go back to be "dehypnotised". After that I was okay but I never tried hypnosis again. I also think it can be re-traumatising.
Sals Pals
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by Sals Pals on 4/2/2013, 9:05 am

We're just afraid of hypnosis because when in that state people are also in vulnerable position where suggestion is easy. The American Psychiatric Association has warnings about using hypnosis in therapy - is your T telling you this?

cat2579
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by cat2579 on 4/2/2013, 12:16 pm

My T does not use hypnosis for the reasons discussed above. When your alters are comfortable and trust your T they will come out. It is a long process requiring a lot of patience.
Cathy

Post by Guest on 4/2/2013, 1:22 pm

I would say be wary of a therapist that wants to use Hypnosis so soon. Relaxation techniques and such are fine, but hypnosis is a powerful tool. I took a psychology course with a professor who knew how to hypnotize people and we learned a lot about it. He always spoke very gravely about hypnosis because he's witnessed it being used badly in a "show" like setting and also causing unexpected memories to surface in people, that sort of thing. He was very against these practices. So- keep these things in mind... especially in a therapy session, you cannot be hypnotized unless you want to be and are relaxed and willing. You also have to be susceptible to hypnosis. Not everyone is. Keeping yourself grounded and aware and actively thinking against hypnosis will prevent it from happening.

Let them know that you don't feel ready for it. If they want to do it anyway, there's something wrong there. Keep in mind, It can be a very valuable tool- especially self-hypnosis. From what I've heard and seen, that can be a safer, more valuable, and most importantly, more self-empowering tool. Perhaps ask them about this instead? Also, I agree with what others have said. See if you can find someone more experienced or perhaps work on trust or other exercises that will let alters speak out naturally and come out in their own time.

Post by Guest on 4/3/2013, 5:17 am

Thank you all for your advice... I'm way myself of being hypnotized and she hasn't given me any warnings at all
cavalry
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by cavalry on 4/3/2013, 5:38 am

I am greatly with the advise of building trust and letting naturally alters come out naturally as they feel ready because it respects your pace.
Many years ago as I knew about some of my alters but was not sure if I invented them in my imagination, a T used hypnosis with me but he didn't know about my parts. I reexperienced trauma, but from an observers point of view because it was an alter that lived it. The results were that it pushed me into strong denial that lasted for almost 20 years. Now I am back to T and we work with my parts at a slow but sure pace.

Post by Guest on 4/9/2013, 2:43 pm

As someone that has been through hypnosis, I can say that I feel that it really did help me work through some of the bad stuff. But, big BUT. The first hypnosis session was about 15 years after general psycho-therapy started.

It can be a helpful part of a treatment plan, but like all parts of any treatment plan, if done incorrectly or at the wrong time, it can be hurtful as well.

Post by Guest on 4/9/2013, 4:08 pm

Actually, thinking about self-hypnosis to relax...

Has anyone tried relaxing to the ASMR group?

There are a lot of different ASMR artists out there, and some that for some reason I feel "close" to or "safe" listening to. For example, Maria and Ilse, something about them feels nurturing and safe. I'm even Facebook friends with them now, and I get to be part of their real lives, which is nice.

ASMR is most videos with soft talking or whispers, sometimes there's roleplay, just to create a relaxed feeling. I originally started using the roleplay to get used to going to the doctor's office. Listing over and over and over again to the diagnostics, mentally preparing to have a stranger touch me to check my lungs or my tummy when I'm sick. So, I'll link Maria, Ilse and lastly, Tony , for those that would prefer a male voice/actor. Ilse's link has a short intro video that talks about ASMR.

Last edited by felicity on 4/9/2013, 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed links)
henipeni
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by henipeni on 5/19/2013, 9:44 pm

I totally agree with all that has been said here. And I want to add one huge thing. If you remember events from your past and want to seek justice at some point in the future, any details documented for the first time AFTER hypnosis cannot be used in any future legal case. It doesn't matter if you remembered them prior to the hypnosis, if they were documented after the start of hypnosis they cannot be the foundation for charges because the defence will claim that the memories were either implanted by the therapist or altered by the therapist or the hypnosis itself.
Now this may not be relevant to you today, but it could be relevant to you down the track. So bear it in mind when you make your decision to undergo therapeutic hypnosis.

Katyj
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Katyj on 9/28/2013, 12:11 pm

I tried once or twice to get a T. to inject a truth-serum drug in me to "encourage" memories to surface, as I have only a few, but enough to know I have experienced significant trauma--different kinds--by each parent separately. Both T's said it was not a good idea as I would become overwhelmed and would probably dissociate the recovered memories anyway. I wonder if memories recovered by hypnosis would have the same effect

Post by Guest on 12/28/2013, 4:23 pm

Any alters I have are out pretty often, and although I am not aware of who is taking over moment to moment, I know they are there. I watch them in my head sometimes. I saw one in the mirror. So they are present.

healinghearts
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by healinghearts on 12/28/2013, 7:53 pm

You mentioned driving while "sleeping"
do you take sleep medications
some cause dissociation like fugue states like you described.

In my opinion ... I, and all of our parts, would NOT want a T messing with our system. We will share what we want and when we want. Think hypnosis would be an invasion of a system very carefully put together to protect. So yeah ... hypnosis to flesh out alters .... sounds like a very bad idea.

Post by Guest on 1/11/2014, 6:43 am

hi

Having had hypnotherapy early in therapy, years later we needed to untangle the unintentional false memories that were assumed (suggested,) we needed to untangle the 'people pleasing' stuff that went on, years later, we are only beginning to deal with the mess.

This was with a therapist who was experienced. Maybe if it was much further in to therapy, it might have been completely different.

AlwaysUs

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 10/19/2017, 1:15 pm