Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

Keywords

• Reply to topic

DID vs Personality Disorder

RocioCaro
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

DID vs Personality Disorder

Post by RocioCaro on 7/6/2013, 1:18 am

So, I was reading Shadow's DID Coping And Caring Blog http://didcoping.blogspot.com/ under the topic Depersonalization Disorder...
Depersonalization disorder is marked by periods of feeling disconnected or detached from one’s body and thoughts (depersonalization). The disorder is sometimes described as feeling like you are observing yourself from outside your body or like being in a dream. However, people with this disorder do not lose contact with reality; they realize that things are not as they appear. An episode of depersonalization can last anywhere from a few minutes to many years. Depersonalization also might be a symptom of other disorders, including brain disease and seizure disorders.
Depersonalization disorder is one of a group of conditions called dissociative disorders. Dissociative disorders are mental illnesses that involve disruptions or breakdowns of memory, consciousness or awareness, identity and/or perception—mental functions that normally operate smoothly. When one or more of these functions is disrupted, symptoms can result. These symptoms can interfere with a person’s general functioning, including social and work activities, and relationships.
... and I'm wondering. This is most often how I/we feel... but I know that there are alters involved. I feel them, see them, sometimes hear them. But I also seldom lose time (at least seldom since childhood) and when I do lose time it's more of what happened in the past, even though I'm aware of what's going on during the event itself...

Is there something where there's some sort of combination between Depersonalization Disorder and DID? Or does DID encompass Depersonalization Disorder? And if it does, what of the difference between losing time and "not losing contact with reality"? I am so confused.
Morgan
Admin
Admin

Re: DID vs Personality Disorder

Post by Morgan on 7/6/2013, 3:43 am

Depersonalization Disorder and DID go hand and hand in my case. I remember as a child telling neurologists that I felt I was in a dream and that the TV was more real than real life. I could get lost in a good movie not realizing what was going on around me. I would feel like I was growing shorter and taller. My perception of my body was and still is aloof to say the least. Yes I believe they go together. Morgan

I love my Family of Choice, IG
Administrator
Shirley J. Davis

GentleWarrior
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by GentleWarrior on 7/6/2013, 8:00 pm

only a trained professional can do a DX, but have you talked to your T about DDNOS?.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 7/6/2013, 8:13 pm

Isn't DDNOS gone from the DSMV?

Anyhow, I have not heard of it being like a dx on its own without DID, but I am not sure on that. I will ask my therapist - how's that sound - :)

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
weordmyndum
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by weordmyndum on 7/6/2013, 8:37 pm

I'm pretty sure DDNOS is still there--I think there's an NOS for every category. But the criteria for DID have, I think, been widened in the DSM-V. That means that fewer people will fall into the NOS specifier because more of them will be diagnosable with DID.

Also, PTSD now has the with dissociation/without dissociation specifier. I'm not sure when depersonalization would be classified as part of DID or PTSD with dissociation versus when it would be diagnosed on its own. I suspect most folks wouldn't diagnose it separately because it is so common with DID and PTSD.

Sara
GentleWarrior
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by GentleWarrior on 7/6/2013, 10:31 pm

DD-NOS is still there.

cause still diagnosed and people still fall into the criteria.

and since the dissociation scale is so complex, im sure a lot of people meet it and not DID, since DID is such a complex thing with very specific criteria that needs to be met.

but, as always, when in doubt, talk to a T who is trained in this area if possible to work on the process with them and get the DX that fits.

shadowboxer
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by shadowboxer on 2/6/2014, 6:48 pm

Ptsd has dissociation specifiers? I was dx'd w ptsd abt 25 years ago and never heard abt that. Huh.

Post by Guest on 4/23/2014, 9:12 pm

borderline personality disorder and in very limited ways schizoid (which i don't think is a personality disorder on its own) from what i understand are very close outward reps of DID. BPD actually mentions dissociation and identity disturbances (not confusion) as some of the traits. i have fit into many, many of the personality disorders, and have had many schizoid/schizoaffective symptoms throughout my life, and think it makes more sense to be DID instead of 14 different disorders at once. aren't personality disorders sort of like labels though? almost like a personality type as everyone may have one of these "disorders"

Post by Guest on 4/23/2014, 9:16 pm

g*d i keep doing that, i forgot you mentioned depersonalization disorder. in sorry.

depersonalization disorder i think can be a diagnosis on its own.
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 10/19/2017, 1:14 pm