Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

2 different 'types' of DID???

felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

2 different 'types' of DID???

Post by felicity on 1/25/2014, 1:34 pm

Okay, anyone who knows me well knows that I am overly curious about everything. I 'need' answers and when I can't get them 'somewhere', I become frustrated.

Others know that I don't use fb much - only because I am busy here and because, it gives me a headache trying to follow any kind of substantial discussion.

So, here we go.

I accidentally find myself on a new fb group that is focused on - as far as I could tell - differentiating between 2 different types of DID, how 'support' groups somehow influence members to attack each other calling each other 'fakers', and that the second 'type' of DID folks are more likely to fake for attention, and finally, how all of this cannot be divulged as of yet, because it is in the hands of some researchers in the UK - us (in other places) not understanding - presumably.

I spent a day or so trying to clarify all of this only to be told that it CANNOT be clarified, but is a 'secret'. Accordingly, I won't be returning to that group.

Of course, I wanted clarification, because firstly, I think that the DSMV does a fine job of categorizing the symptoms for DID. I also believe that everyone is different - that there are not 2 types of DID folks - doesn't make sense to me.

I would also argue that ALL support groups cannot be said to influence people to believe they have DID when they don't - and, mostly that ALL support groups attack each other in the way explained.

Of course, I am a bit angry since we do operate this group where I have NEVER, EVER read of such an attack here. In fact, the whole discussion going on there actually did trigger me a bit. There were attacks right there on the page - where the founder explained that 'other' groups behaved horribly - hmmm.

So, I am spinning reading everything. People attacking each other - actually calling one of our members a faker - she was crushed - how very hurtful.

So, I sit here confused - and not understanding what I am reading.

I want to ask anyone out there (remember this section of the board is open - and, please respect our guidelines) - has anyone heard of any theory about two different 'types' of DID - one being 'full-blown' and the other evidently not full-blown coming out of the UK? If you have, please explain this to us. I can't stand not knowing something that is said to be 'secret' - Just being honest.

Secondly, has anyone experienced a support group where people actually attack each other in this manner? Calling each other fakers and such? I am shocked.

Finally, has anyone belonged to a group where they tried to influence others to believe they had DID when they didn't?

Sorry - but, I just need to know what the heck is going on outside the Garden -

Possibly, I should not wander from this board. I truly am shocked hearing this stuff. Please fill me in - if you can.

I am also going to write this on the private section of the board, for those who do not want to be public.

Thanks for you input.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com

Re: 2 different 'types' of DID???

Post by Guest on 1/26/2014, 12:29 am

Hi Felicity

Sorry for ignorance, but what is fb?

And also where else have you put this?

Thank you

Post by Guest on 1/26/2014, 1:24 am

Its Facebook.... looking for the group too
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 1/26/2014, 8:28 am

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com

hi felicity

Post by Guest on 1/30/2014, 2:09 pm

i am calimero and i come from holland(the netherlands)
i have been on a forum in holland once for people with Did and my experience was not that nice.they ask you how sick you are and then they have it worse. I also went to a real meeting from that forum and that was just like a movie.everybody was constanly switching.it felt like switching was a hot topic.It was realy discusting to see and be there.another member of this forum experienced the same as i did.because first i did not believe what i saw and heard.I thought if this is it i don't want anybody to know i have DID,because that is not who i am or what i stand for
it realy made me angry

calimero

Post by Guest on 1/30/2014, 2:18 pm

I write this in two pieces otherwise it won't make it to the board.
Your question about two kinds of DID i have an answer to that.
Firtst you have DID with full switches.
Than you also have DID not otherwise specified.That means you have pieces that did not grow in fully alters/persons.those pieces know they exist,have emotions,have there own knowledge and behavior but don't take over.There is no full switch.
People with that last diagnoses feel like they have no real DID and fake the full switches.Because if you don't have the DID with full switches you don't count.
So that is why they fake it.
Don't ask me how you can fake a full switch because i don't know.
Like you said everybody has it in there own way,full switches or not.that is why my mission in Holland is to let people know what DID is and how you can live with it.
I hope i answered your question.
If you have more questions please let me know

calimero
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 1/30/2014, 2:53 pm

thank you. That was great. you are so wonderful to help educate people there.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com

Post by Guest on 1/31/2014, 4:42 am

I try too ha ha

Post by Guest on 2/6/2014, 5:29 pm

Hello and thank you, specifically Calimero. I found very basic info on DID in my online research... while a lot of it rings true with my love (the reason I'm here, to learn how to help him) the "switching" isn't something I've seen in him. Being Bipolar myself, I understand how these mental disorders can present differently in each person, while still having commonalities.

I feel good that I've already learned something and I JUST joined. This site gives me hope! Thank you!
susy16
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by susy16 on 2/17/2014, 3:29 pm

I was actually trying to see if IG has fb and looked at another DID fb yesterday and was immediately turned off. First of all this is all so private to me that fb is way to open to the public at least for me. Second is seemed almost a joke to some people there and was also triggering me. As far as two types all I have ever heard is that there are those with real DID diagnosis and then some people such as criminals try to fake to get out of trouble with law or for attention.
vlynxy
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by vlynxy on 2/17/2014, 11:25 pm

Ok... First off, there are no "types" of "DID"

Stages, yes, but Types, no.

There may be people who are "faking things" for "attention" but they probably ~also~ have DID... the few that don't, do seriously have other problems that need to be addressed in an otherwise appropriate manner... so I wouldn't worry about that, in the slightest. If they end up seeking help for DID, they will eventually get the help they need, for the problems, they have.

Secondly... the DSM, every single version, is set up completely ~wrong~

It should be set up as a Tree structure, not a list, but with a linked list in the background... It's ok the way it is for now... but I already wrote an AI that Solves it Correctly.

This is actually something I would like to discuss with you, because you have the "paper" degrees, that I don't need, to know what I know I know =)

~Victoriah LynX MercY~
vlynxy
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by vlynxy on 2/18/2014, 8:17 am

Just re-reading over that part about folks attacking each other...

I know I have issues, and stuff slips out the wrong way sometimes... but that's just plain out abusive psychological warfare. I find it unbelievable that any true Plural person would treat another Plural person that way, outside of a misunderstanding or personal differences... so I would be suspect of that in the extreme... sounds like a set up... or a c*lt... like the way some "chr*ist**n ch**chs spread h*te instead of what they're supposed to spread... that's really scary and sad =( secrets and lies are what messed us up =/

Post by Guest on 2/20/2014, 1:10 pm

I really don't know if there are 2 kinds of DID,I see it all as the same.you are multiple or not with or without full switches.I think what does it matter as long as you get good counseling.And learn to live with yourself and the others.

For me it is important how i live with it and how i can help other people with mental diseases to live a fullfilling life.Each person is worth a lot and you dont compare illnesses with each other.That makes me sick.I mean with that how sick are you and how sick am i.
I also think that if people are faking DID that they are having some kind of mental problem.You cant do that on purpose.can you?

vlynxy
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by vlynxy on 2/20/2014, 1:52 pm

calimero wrote:
I also think that if people are faking DID that they are having some kind of mental problem.You cant do that on purpose.can you?

That's what I was thinking along the lines of.

If they're decent people doing it, then we say Cool, here's another friend with problems that can probably relate to us on some level...

If they're the mean sort... Well, Mercy would still try to engage them and try to get them to learn to be nice... but that gets tiring sometimes.

But we're pretty sure everyone has a level that they can relate, if they'd put their minds to it a bit. I can't imagine anyone getting all the way through life without ~some~ trauma, and disassociation ("can't help it" without practice/therapies/etc) and denial (willful distancing the mind from trauma) are pretty natural solutions to protect ones mind until it's strong enough to deal with those things...

It's the ones that ~intentionally~ keep being mean, that we don't like, and they seem to gather in little flocks led by little Napoleons. They don't seem to like us on their forums for very long ;-)

Everyone has issues. There's no need to be mean about it =)

That's why we like it here so much =D

MultipleMe
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by MultipleMe on 2/26/2014, 12:20 pm

Hi I am new to IG, but I've done a lot of research on my own since I was diagnosed with DID in April '13. That doesn't mean I know much, but just offering what I've learned to the discussion. I am a part of another support group for dissociative disorders. It is for all people that have been diagnosed with one of the DD. Some people have DID, some have DDNOS, some have dissociative fugue, etc. In that group, we are not allowed to disrespect another person's story by saying it isn't real. There is no judgment allowed if someone has a real dx or not. How would you be able to tell just off of what a person shares once or twice? How is that even helpful?

So, maybe the information you came across Felicity is in reference that you can have a dissociative disorder, but not necessarily DID? Also, any group that says they have "secret" research information is a red flag to me. If it's a genuine research organization, they want to share the information with the research community. They want to get credit for their research. If that research hasn't been conclusive or is still in the study stages, they wouldn't just leak it out. They would publish in journals and research publications if they were legitimate. At least from what I understand about research. Not sure of the differences though that may exist between the US and Europe.

Just my .02!
The Clowder

Post by The Clowder on 2/21/2015, 9:59 pm

Hello, we're not really the sorts who can belong to communities like forums and such, but I am interested in hearing more about the concept of full vs. non-full switches. Would you be able to tell us if a partial switch is similar to what we experience?

We have what we call a "shell alter" who is unable to go inside the system on purpose. (She has been inside by accident on a few brief occasions, and once some creepy people made her lose time while pretending to cure us.) Although she holds the body almost continually, we don't see her a real co-host because as long as someone is "behind" her, she doesn't experience her own thoughts or feelings, she just acts as a living database. With this alter "in front of" us, we can switch as often as we want while still having access to a common set of memories and mannerisms, which is invaluable for keeping a low profile. The downside is that she seems to involuntarily block almost all memories besides her own, e.g. inner world experiences and unprocessed traumas that we really need to know about. We're still looking for workarounds for that strange handicap.

Before we found out about the shell, we thought we had "dissociation, and identities, and disorder, but not dissociative identity disorder". She really changed the way we understand our system. Could some of the other people who feel like they can't fully switch have the same underlying issue?

One of our higher-up alters, the same one who snuck knowledge of the shell past the inside-outside amnesia barriers, insists that there is "a qualitative difference" between "evolved" systems and "intelligently designed" systems, not meaning a difference in innate dissociative mechanisms but rather a set of functional changes to internal geography and alter roles for reasons that benefit external creators more than the system. He has repeatedly expressed envy toward "evolved" systems and would love nothing more than to tear down the "intelligently designed" aspects of our system and be more like them. Would that distinction have anything in common with what others might call "two types of D.I.D."?
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 2/22/2015, 10:13 am

This is an older post also.

I am thinking that I now found the answer to my question in this article:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/talking-about-trauma/201405/did-drawing-the-line-between-fact-and-fiction

So, I am assuming, from that article, that the two types are DID, as in the DSM, and 'iatrogenic DID' as is coined by the False Memory Syndrome Foundation (FMSF). So - the two 'schools of thought' are that DID is a scientific reality caused by trauma - generally in early childhood and 'iatrogenic DID' not 'real' - created by therapists who convince their clients that they have it, etc. Well.... at least - that is what I concluded from the article above. The 'reality' of DID has been scientifically proven again and again - and 'iatrogenic DID' has not be proved at all. This really has nothing to do with anyone 'faking' -

Why would anyone 'fake' - or, how could anyone 'fake' the symptoms?

To: the clowder and others who have posted here who are not members of Ivory Garden and/or this forum - you can start a new thread here and are welcome to post. This is the 'open forum' on our board. This topic was also discussed on the private area of our forum - in depth.

About switching - you can copy that post and start a new topic - that is okay.

Most members of our forum members will not post in this area - simply for privacy. This area does feed to search engines and is read by many people. Therefore, many of the posts that are here are also on our private forum so everyone can participate in the discussion.

i have been on a forum in holland once for people with Did and my experience was not that nice.they ask you how sick you are and then they have it worse. I also went to a real meeting from that forum and that was just like a movie.everybody was constanly switching.it felt like switching was a hot topic.It was realy discusting to see and be there.another member of this forum experienced the same as i did.because first i did not believe what i saw and heard.I thought if this is it i don't want anybody to know i have DID,because that is not who i am or what i stand for
it realy made me angry

Our board is not what was described - as many of the other forums are into such drama. The members here are compassionate, supportive, and validating of each other. There is no drama on this board. We are interested in eduction and healing - moving forward. Posts are not 'policed' - the staff is here to support members - not police them. No one judges other members - that is not what we are about.

For those interest in joining the community, just click 'apply' at the top of the board - once you receive approval via email, you will be asked to join Ivory Garden - a charitable organization - then register. The forums are private and safe.

Those who are previous members or have not 'joined', you are welcome - simply email me - I am the president of Ivory Garden - I will help you to reinstate your membership.

Please feel welcome to post here - and to take advantage of our resources. thank you for your continued support.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
Fildragon
Fildragon
Fildragon

Post by Fildragon on 2/22/2015, 11:28 am

Sorry to have to disagree with Calimero. In my opinion there is only one type of DID, that described in the DSM. It is obviously like any illness unique to the individual. What you describe of DDNOS is not accurate. I have DDNOS. I do have the capacity to fully switch, I am no actor at all, acting just causes a heap of extra sh*t in life that one does not need. I have alters who manifest seperately, though I have 99% of the time had an alter (CPU) who has always had co-consciousness. Which is something else than acting. DDNOS is a subcategory for people who display many of the symptoms of other dissociative disorders but do not fit completely into them. My only excluding category for DID is no amnesia when switching (due to co-consciousness). DDNOS is not another form of DID, it is a different diagnosis altogether.
Fildragon
Fildragon
Fildragon

Post by Fildragon on 2/22/2015, 11:38 am

Another thing I will never understand is the childish and hurtful behavior of people. All people with whatever illness they have should be treated with respect and dignity. Whether that be DID, DDNOS, Cancer, Blindness, Anxiety, Depression. There is no one person on the planet that can truly understand anothers hell. Forums and organisations that encourage disention amongst people trying to heal should simply be banned altogether, and I honestly feel that the leaders of such groups are evil and bad people with other motives than the welfare of the people involved. Trauma and trauma recovery is hard enough as it is. Accusing members of a trauma recovery group, or group for DID that they are acting is for some people enough to push em to SU. I find it sickening and angers me tremendously. I have been told all my life by my m that I am mad, literally insane. It took me 38 years to pluck up the courage to explain my symptoms to my PDoc, and finally get my diagnosis of DDNOS confirmed. It took me 38 years to pluck up the courage to join a group like this one. I thank G*d, not that I do that much anymore, that this group is respectful and caring and supportive. That there are *ssh**es out there that victimize victims sickens me to the core. Sorry but this has gotten me a bit fuming. Two types of DID, sounds like my old faith: dissention about the smallest, most ridiculous stupid things. If someone is ill, they need support and love. Not more hurt and doubts and been told it is all in their mind when it just so damned real.
Erin
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Erin on 2/22/2015, 1:27 pm

Maybe one type is due to brain wiring, and the other is due to trauma? Just a hypothesis.

Or they could just be making up that there are two different types of DID.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 2/22/2015, 1:46 pm

I agree with Filly - I have been through enough in my long life to now have to deal with anyone who doesn't treat other people with respect and validation. I know those people are out there - we deal with them everywhere we go - but, we do not need to deal with them here - this is our safe place - we will accept none other than the simple expectation that people come here, respect our place and us as people.

Forums and organisations that encourage disention amongst people trying to heal should simply be banned altogether, and I honestly feel that the leaders of such groups are evil and bad people with other motives than the welfare of the people involved.

Thank you - I agree totally.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
Like A Pheonix
Like A Pheonix
Like A Pheonix

Post by Like A Pheonix on 2/22/2015, 4:24 pm

Personally, I've never been part of a forum that had the kind of drama you're describing. I have been part of a few others (most of which have closed), and even if there was a little drama now and then, it never got as severe as any of all that.... It may have to do with the fact that I specifically look for forums that are mostly private or completely private. I have seen FB groups for DID but have no interest in them. FB is a proving ground for trolls, bullying, and more.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 2/22/2015, 4:50 pm

The couple that I belonged to many years ago were known for the owner/staff getting together and deciding who they did and didn't like (behind the scenes). They also made the members feel like there was nowhere else to go and/or all the other places were 'bad'. They asked that members go to other boards only to find people to invite to theirs. One - that is still running - we were expected to post a certain number of times a day, invite a certain number of people a week, etc. I remember being scared to death of the staff there. We got lots of pm's telling us how to act, what to do, when to do it. We were called names - like one staff member wrote to us and told us that we were psychopathic - that she could tell by the way we acted. Everything was done through pms'. So, if a staff person 'disappeared', all the members would write back and forth gossiping about why they left and who would replace them. We all wanted to be the one chosen - like it was some 'gift' to treasure. Even the owner got into the gossip. Lots of people talked on the phone or through - back then it was skype or something - can't remember. It sounds so silly now - there was a man - still there who got caught accessing young girls' littles - and he did spend time in jail for doing really bad stuff to girls on that board - he was let to come back and still participates there - arggg - he is all over the net - though - many here will know who he is. I actually left after he accessed one of my littles and the owner did nothing about it. I started this board. That was the worst drama and so hurtful to so many people - some 10 years ago - and, the same people are still now a part of this drama going - If you know who they are, you find them still creating problems. New ones come along periodically. When they spend time in jail and an owner lets them back on the board - well.... not much time to figure that out. Trick is to keep them away from you.

I don't get around anymore - so, I don't know about other boards. I belonged to one SRA board where they told me that I was 'possessed' and couldn't be trusted - arggg - left there right quick - they are still active too - lots of gossip about who is really SRA - who can be trusted - etc.

I know that our members who are being harassed are getting the blunt of it through email and on facebook - . I still get stuff on fb - fb can be so horrible to be people - some people actually have contests on how many 'friends' that they can collect.

It really all is so silly, but can be devastating to people who do not understand that because someone 'friends' you instantly does not mean that they don't have ulterior motives. Because you have known someone via internet for years, they are a safe person or that they are honest. There are groups of people who love to 'take someone down' by spreading horrible lies about them so that all their friends will turn on them. It is a game, but not fun to the victim -

I am sure that there are others who have their horror stories about the internet and boards that never should have been created - much less by the (someone else said it earlier) 'evil' people who run them.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
courageous
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by courageous on 2/22/2015, 5:33 pm

I know very little about the technicalities of did and diagnosing to be honest, just know that I have been living on a different plane to others.

What I can tell you though is that I think it is impossible to convince someone that they have did when they don't.

I was in group therapy for women who had all come through different things. The counsellor noticed that I loved inside my head, and asked where my awareness. I showed her with a hand gesture that my awareness was up to the right about a foot above my head.

Others in the group didn't understand this. I also spoke about various things and someone was questioning and asking if they were going through something like it, the counsellor said she didn't think so and my instinct was to tell them that no they weren't as what I was saying was confusing them too much. They couldn't make sense of what I was saying at all. They did have PTSD without a doubt, but not did..

You can't fake did although you may have ( cant think of the correct terms) disassociation - sorry have a brain block can't think of the name. But you may have depersonalisation? But not did.

I think if someone wants to have did or wants to mimic it, then that is a sure symptom of something going on within them that they are trying to figure out about themselves, trauma, mental illness depression or something else that isn't diagnosed that they are desperate to receive answers for.

Fildragon
Fildragon
Fildragon

Post by Fildragon on 2/22/2015, 10:03 pm

I find it a hurtful thing to accuse anyone who is struggling with whatever they are to say they are faking. There are disorders ranked in that area too. Still they are ill and need real help too.

I sit here in h, my PDoc knows now for like what four months about my dissociative disorder, I used to hide it so well, and my switching has always come across more as a drastic mood change, change of clothes, change of stance. It is not that noticable. Often I sit before her and wander what she is thinking these days. And last week I just decided well, this is me. I know I am not acting anything, I know what I feel, I know one day I am all dissociated adn cant even get my legs moving and the next I seem to be totally integrated. She did have a comment about my handwriting. Each alter has their own. Last week I gave her a letter, in my handwriting Felicia. And she said immediately: this is a different handwriting, who do I have in front of me? It is so wonderful to have a PDoc who at the very least accepts that my alters are real, that I am not putting up some show. If I was that talented I would be a millionaire actor in some damned good movies. I finally have someone I can talk to in real life, even be it twenty min a week or every two weeks, who seems to understand what is going on inside.

DID, DDNOS whatever illness: it is difficult and one of the main reasons I cannot function in this society at all anymore is the sort of thing described in the previous posts. The sort of people that are so nasty and evil and self seeking that they wreek havoc in the lives of those shall we say "having a more eventful life than them". They look at us like we nuts, or weak, or acting or looking for attention when in my honest opinion thye are people who have that little respect for others are all just fat spoiled brats, bullies who have absolutely no experience of life and most likely never experienced any real trauma to start off with. They are the sort that find it amuzing to torture others, let us play with these people. And often you will see irl when this sort of people finally have something tough come across their path, how they crack up and can't handle a thing. Bullies, big fat bullies.

Man this topic has gotten me angry. Felicia angry, well now that is confirmation to me of integration with CPU. A positive thing, cause Felicia could never get angry before. It was only CPU who experienced anger.
courageous
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by courageous on 2/23/2015, 3:00 am

I agree with you Filly. I have did, but I am very resistant to letting the alters out. I am the protector of our system. The odd one slips out to co exist from time to time. There is one that I call unhinged. She is unpredictable as in lives 3 feet of the ground when she is around and none of us can reach her. She doesn't know we exist. For the most part I have her on lock down.

She takes too many risks. She can appear High ' that is her natural state. A complete cut off from pain.

Didnos is as you describe. I understand what nos means not otherwise specified.

My son has adhd, my daughter autism, my grandson is being checked he may get a diagnosis of the two as doesn't fit the full criteria for both, but has many symptoms from each.

The woman that I was in therapy with was relieved when I put her mind at rest, she didn't have a traumatic childhood by her own admission. But she had escaped from an abusive marriage and has now got a diagnosis of PTSD.

To tell anyone that they dont have did or a lesser did is very painful.

Other than the one that I told you about, none of my alters are never out. I think this is why they never shut up and I never have peace. I also have a number of alters living outside of us helping me to protect the secret. Usually make a good job of it. But I am so exhausted now.
courageous
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by courageous on 2/23/2015, 3:08 am

It is very difficult for alters to get past a strong host who is like a steel door. The feelings can be portrayed on to him/her but it is difficult to get out.

I have kind of switched here once or twice. It is so subtle that it goes unnoticed. ( I think anyway) We are always co conscious. My feelings change, I feel different. See things differently. But I still try to hide it

Processing takes forever Felicity I rarely get angry too, unless someone manages to trigger something. I am taken surprise by that. I can fall apart in an instant and have no idea why.

I blocked anger from the age of 3 as in my mind it was bad and caused pain etc..

Wow did is complicated
courageous
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by courageous on 2/23/2015, 3:10 am

Get well soon Filly
Fildragon
Fildragon
Fildragon

Post by Fildragon on 2/23/2015, 5:02 am

Thx courageous, what you explain sounds alot like how i used be. Switching was more like an emotional layer on to of CPU. Like a mood switch but much more. People see ik more like a mood switch, even got misdiagnosed bipolar and schizofrenia in the process. Right now i am stuck in my 38 body with a very young and enthousiastic Filly, who wants to ride bicycle, of all the exhausting things one could think of. And when i say ride bicycle i mean at like 30 km per hour. Puf.
courageous
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by courageous on 2/23/2015, 6:50 am

Haha Filly I love you. A child version of me comes out but my voice remains the same I think. Others notice and think I am childlike. Thankfully they find it endearing. I was decorating the ch*r*h at Christmas in my socks and was jumping off the benches when I had finished decorating each pillar. I am 48!! Haha

I thought I was schizophrenic at one time and that is the reason I held on to my secret. I was scared that I would be locked away with people. I had/ have sometimes a terrible fear of people. I am relieved to be told that it is did.
Did.

I will never understand how someone with did is nasty to a fellow sufferer of trauma. Haven't we all suffered enough? What chance have we got when victims turn on each other? We should be standing united shoulder to shoulder helping each other.

Someone I know has Bpd. It is very similar to did. Again caused by trauma.
Fildragon
Fildragon
Fildragon

Post by Fildragon on 2/23/2015, 8:25 am

Well Courageous in my lifespan I have had nigh on every diagnosis shoved down my throat EXCEPT for DDNOS and Social Anxiety Disorder. I had to study Psych at the university for ten years to finally understand what was wrong with me. I then finally went to my PDoc with the courage to finally explain what is going on inside, and a psychologist tested me for SAD and both were confirmed. I have an m who is totally convinced I am mad and she did her utmost to get me officially registered and locked away as such. Once again the victim, in what I sometimes feel is a more damaging way than the s*x Ab**se, I know this a bit off topic Felicity. But just look now at Courageous and I. Through this discussion of people being abusive to other DID people and all these forums where people are being so hurt, once again this forum has brought to me a new friend, another person I can relate to so well, Courageous. Well Courageous when Filly manifests it is like usually outdoors and she loves cycling. I am 38 and I cycle like a nutty 10 year old, Filly is so young at heart. Here is the h ward, because I so need contact with her I imagine a curtain behind the hometrainer in the passage and I let Filly cycle. And all the comments: my goodness you are fit for your age... gee you can cycle, and all that swinging with your arms and what not whats that? Music ofcourse, I mean now seriously cycling without waving your arms to the beat. And I think to myself, yeah right I was just telling Filly to PLEASE go easy on my creaking joints, lol. This morning I woke up all groggy and sleepy, and I heard her voice: I want to go cycle. And it was like urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm I want to sleeeeeeeep, no I want to cycle pleaseeeeeeeeee. urggggggg okay. And so we work together. It can be so funny. But we are both me, totally me.

courageous
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by courageous on 2/23/2015, 8:39 am

Your post has just had me giggling. Thankyou. It is easy to picture as we are the same. Still laughing!! Thankyou!

It is wonderful to share this with someone who is the same. How liberating!!

I too had to go to the doctor and finally reveal my secrets. I am too tired to deal with this on my own now. I need help with it all.

Thankyou for this site Felicity.

Filly. Thankyou. You are my first ever friend request

If we were together like this Filly, would be hilarious!! Probably playing hop scotch!!

I have a huge desire to skip down the road sometimes, used to get away with it when the children were small. Not now
ScrambledMedley
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by ScrambledMedley on 2/23/2015, 10:53 am

As far as I know we've never been to any other board so I can't give an opinion on if there is more than one type of DID. I don't understand it. I don't even understand how I operate but it's very annoying to people around me.

I did not receive the diagnosis myself but I can tell you that just by having been forced to have interactions with other people, I'm not what would be considered normal...I guess. There's always a change in me, us. I don't know. It's difficult trying to live in a world where we're looked at with suspicion and misunderstanding. Paul has found it hard living with me and he made an admission that was hurtful but true. He told me that if he'd known that he would be dealing with my changes as often as he has, he would never have married me or wanted to know me. So you know, rejection is around every corner it seems like.

I know who some of the inners are. I can't help what happens. I'm very close to a couple of them. They help when I need it.

I am grateful to be here; I have somewhere to go.
Christina
SoullessAndPained
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by SoullessAndPained on 3/1/2015, 12:17 am

I'm in the UK and I've never heard of 2 types or ppl doing research about 2 different types. I joined a DID group was accepted but when I went too look if it was this group I had already been removed from the group so I have no idea if it was the group you're talking about or a different group
mosaic_hearts
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by mosaic_hearts on 6/22/2015, 8:50 pm

I recall reading a journal article written by Dr. Colin Ross from the 90's proposing renaming what used to called "DDNOS with features of DID" as "DID, Partial Form" for those folks who either were always co-conscious when "alters" came out or whose alters never came out but influenced the host's behavior from inside. This used to be called Covert MPD pre-DSM 4 days. My two cents. Hope this was okay to write...

Maggie1971 et al
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 6/28/2015, 11:01 am

Always okay to write anything pertinent to the topic.

Oh, I would it if you shared that article - we love articles - I will go and look for it.

I lost track of that group - and, haven't seen this topic come up again.

I have a habit of 'running across' things on the internet, because I am always searching key words that have to do with our group and our websites - and, I am always getting alerts that these new facebook groups are starting on fb. So, I go check them out long enough to keep track of what is going on out there in the internet world.

Recently, I have been getting more interested in what our speakers are writing - which leads to more research -

Colin Ross is speaking, and I bought his books at the conference - and, I have been also going back in time - interesting to follow the history of research on DID - how things have changed over time.

I like bringing it up to others, because sometimes, I relate so differently to articles than others might. Watching them speak at the conference brought me more understanding than anything else. I felt so accepted and 'normal' - rather than trying to figure out how I was 'different' than 'normal'. hmmm -

We were doing the workshop on the book "Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation' last Sunday and read that alters can influence the alter 'in front' without ever 'switching'. (think that I got that right). I had never considered that as being DID - I was so interested in that - when I have time, I am going to go research that.

If anyone reads articles of interest, check copyright - and make sure that you can post them - and, if not - post the link - make sure that it is not carrying with it ads - if unsure just email me, and I will check it.

Thanks for posting - this is an open area - everyone out there can post or read here -just a reminder - I think it is a great area that interests people.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
mosaic_hearts
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by mosaic_hearts on 6/28/2015, 11:44 am

Dear Felicity,

Thank you for your kind reply! I will attempt to track down that article for you. I appreciate that you find the information interesting. With all the DSM changes of late, folks that would have been diagnosed as multiple in "the good old days" wouldn't today. I'm confused about my situation sometimes. Am I multiple? I'm usually aware that I'm switching (unless it's very quick, i.e., under 5-10 seconds) and sometimes but not always (depending on who's out) I'm vaguely aware (i.e., I have this "fuzzy" recollection) of who was out and what they were doing, saying, etc. So, I was diagnosed as MPD in 1991, rediagnosed in 2003, 2008, and 2012. Am I considered multiple now? Or the DSM-V equivalent of DDNOS with features of DID?I don't know...

Maggie1971
mosaic_hearts
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by mosaic_hearts on 6/28/2015, 11:55 am

P.S. This and other articles were written by Dr. Colin Ross was when he was still in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and a professor at the University of Manitoba. Unfortunately, he left the country of his birth when the Manitoba government refused to grant him the funding to start a dissociative disorders unit at St. Boniface Hospital in Winnipeg. This was in late 1991. Before he left for Texas, he attended a MPD conference where my T at the time was a co-speaker. I was fortunate to meet Dr. Ross and have my T at the time to consult with him on my situation and treatment options. It's sad that he was forced to leave Canada. I'm proud of his work in the USA, however, and is furtherance of the diagnosis, understanding, and treatment of DID and other trauma-based dissociative disorder.

Maggie1971
Like A Pheonix
Like A Pheonix
Like A Pheonix

Post by Like A Pheonix on 6/28/2015, 12:23 pm

Oh yes, the influencing without switching does happen.

It happens with us all the time. I can be fronting and suddenly have to mindset of a headmate and know it's not mine. (I didn't know this happened in the past because I didn't know about the DID). Words get spoken that I wouldn't say, moods are felt that I wouldn't have, and reactions that are completely different from mine happen.

Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes I am partially dissociative, but it happens quite a lot.

-San
mosaic_hearts
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by mosaic_hearts on 6/28/2015, 12:46 pm

Hi Felicity,

The articles in question are found on Dr. Ross's website "The Colin A. Ross Institute for Psychological Trauma" specifically the "Medical and Scientific Papers" section. They are "Problems in Diagnosing Partial Forms of Multiple Personality Disorder" in 'Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine' published in 1985; and "Differentiating Between Multiple Personality Disorder and Dissociative Disorder Not Otherwise Specified" in 'Dissociation' published in
1992. It's very interesting to note that Dr. Ross was researching very diverse areas of medicine such as cancer, organ transplantation and First Nations health before settling on Dissociative Identity Disorder (formally Multiple Personality Disorder) and other trauma-based dissociative disorders. I would have provided direct links to pdf files but wasn't certain if I could do this on Ivory Garden, hence the website references. Thank you for your patience in the reading of this long post. I hope it's helpful...

Maggie1971:)

mosaic_hearts
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by mosaic_hearts on 6/28/2015, 12:47 pm

Thank you!
mosaic_hearts
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by mosaic_hearts on 6/28/2015, 2:14 pm

Please excuse my pessimism. It doesn't really the extent of research on trauma and dissociative disorders when  many in the medical  community still believe that DID/MPD is an artifact of bad therapy and doesn't exist or that *TW* r*tu*l ab*se doesn't exist or (if they do believe) they don't want to treat DID because it's too hard or too much work or whatever. If a person can't find help and their life potential is lost because of trying to live the best they way they can with unresolved issues that interfere with ability to function, the research is meaningless and just not real. Sorry for saying this. Just in a upset place right now. We currently have a new T who charges us $175.00/hour. Having no insurance (private or from work), I can only afford to see her twice a month. No where near enough. If we're having flashbacks or abreactions, we're on our own...she tells us to go to our nearest emergency room. There are no other options such as outpatient  care as dissociative disorders do not qualify for coverage. We do the best we can. We have good days and bad. The ongoing trauma issues are defining the course of our life. We try ignoring, distraction, physical exercise, etc. Living this kind of life in itself is traumatizing. Sorry about the complaining. Research doesn't matter if it's not real...

felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 6/28/2015, 3:25 pm

Research is very much like wandering through a maze, and sometimes, like with all FMSF research - a circular trail of them sourcing each other.  With my 4 years of under-graduate studies in psychology - not social work - I have nearly read it all - theories and more theories.  We had the fun of reading research and analyzing it for validity and reliability - based on the actual study done.  

Then, there are articles that are written from the author's experience and points of view (backed by research).  If that made sense.  Points of view change as do experiences and education of the authors.  We can take or leave what we read and even analyze based on our own education and experiences.  We see this happening all the time as the public beliefs change with media, etc.  

You can see how your experiences helped mold your beliefs and - frustration - which is what motivates us to continue educating ourself.

I would like to direct your attention to our conference site - which I just updated with the speakers and their topics -igdid.org/ Alison Miller will be speaking all day Friday - and - hey, you can spend the weekend talking to Colin Ross - he loves talking to everyone - he would love to hear your thoughts.  He will be speaking all day Saturday, but keeps himself available to talk to everyone.  It is amazing to be able to talk to everyone.  Alison is from your neck of the woods - and there will be a couple other speakers from there also.  

Oh - and pdf s are always okay to post - we just are supposed to be careful of links carrying ads to be put on the board.  

You might consider joining us on Sunday in the workshop - you are always welcome - it is becoming helpful for me - we do it every Sunday at 4:00 pst https://www.igdid.com/t38455-chapter-6-invitation-and-discussion#603827

To answer your question about whether you actually have DID - I can't say even what 'it' actually is - this is my view of what DID is -

And, I made that video before the DSMV came out - it is more accurate now -

Think about coming to the conference - and, let me know if you have questions about it at all - okay?

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
mosaic_hearts
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by mosaic_hearts on 6/28/2015, 5:25 pm

Yes, we are DID. Tending towards the polyfragmented subtype because of the *TW* s*t*nic r*tu*l ab*se we endured in additional to bullying, school abuse and other incidents. Thank you for inviting us to your conference. There is no way for us to attend due to money issues and having to work. It's good that Allison Miller is one of your speakers. My T that just recently retired consulted with her regularly in my situation because of life-threatening effects of r*tu*l m*nd control and pr*cramming issues that resulted in being hospitalized for our safety. I don't mean the research isn't real. If a person can't find effectively treatment, it is useless to them. That's what I/we meant. It's a long story. But I find I can only afford treatment when I'm in crisis and then it's only short-term because of how expensive it is. Not only frustrating but demoralizing and depressing. Thank you for being tolerant of us...

Maggie1971 et al
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 6/28/2015, 6:29 pm

Oh, I am glad - sorry if I misunderstood.

You deserve better - we have the conference to hopefully help to educate more t - and so they help educate more - etc. etc - and so finding good qualified t is possible and also less expensive for folks who have DID.

Anyhow, any good articles you find, you are welcome to post - that would be helpful to everyone - *caring*

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
earheartdogs
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by earheartdogs on 8/24/2015, 4:39 am

Well.. Here it goes. I have been doing online "support groups" for a very long time. I have been a member of many.
I have been kicked, banned, called out, amount many other things. I started looking for support groups for DID in the beginning of my healing journey. Some of those did exactly as you describe. I was accused of being called a faker. I saw others get that too.
Many people said things about the dx.. Saying things like "secret" dx. This is nothing new.
It doesn't surprise me at all. I am sorry you had to endure that though. That bites.
I have learned that every one is entitled to have their own thoughts ideas and opinions about DID. They get misinformation.. Mostly from the Internet. They interpret information and pass it on to mean something else.
For example dissociative fuge (I may have spelling wrong) I have seen people confuse and meaning something entirely out of context.
As far as groups.. I am extremely careful now about what group I frequent.. What I write and what I read. I go with the understanding that these are wounded people. Wounded people lash out at others.
I mostly stay out of arguments such as that. It doesn't do any good to try to convince someone of their own opinion.
If I am continually attacked. I just leave. It's sad.. I agree...
I am sorry this happened and is still happening.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 8/27/2015, 1:47 pm

I really do not want to see it happen that support groups become places where people are hurt or invalidated - where they fear being. I think that it is worse now than ever. I remember many years ago when we could pretty much trust that support groups were made up of folks looking for support. Yes, there were some problems - mainly, owners and staff rendering their power over members, gossip, etc. But, now - we are seeing folks joining groups purposefully to cause problems in order to tear down boards such as ours'. The whole 'trust' thing is inflated to the point that one person can come into a board and 'create' the idea that no one can be trusted, but them. This is an 'idea' that plays on survivors' triggers - and there is never a 'basis' for the influence they put out there. They use survivors' 'fear' to gain their trust and turn one against the other - creating havoc and breaking down the only places where we were always free to express and just be us. Members who fall into this sort of 'notion' are actually following people who are not 'multiple', but abusers who know exactly how to gain our trust and tear down communities from the 'inside out'. This is not scary or something to fear, just a simple fact.

I have been threatened, had folks turn others against me, influencing my friends whom I trusted, lied about, called names, etc. for many years. And, I have slowly come forward by sharing my real information - even my phone number for anyone to check me out. The sky has not fallen. In fact, the more I give of myself, the more I prove to myself that there is really nothing to fear. I have my real address all over the net - no one has come near me at all - not saying everyone should do that, but I wanted to prove to me that this 'idea' had no basis in truth - and for others to see that I am still here - healthy and wise - and, I am a survivor of SRA/MC and all. Yes, it does hurt to be lied about, have those who I believed to be friends turn against me - but, I know who to trust now - they are here helping me keep this board safe. Those out to hurt people are only dangers to us, because we believe them and feel comfortable - rather than ask why they want us to follow them rather than our own sense of what is 'truth'.

Truth is that what we write is not in danger, at least not here - or elsewhere from what I have experienced. The danger comes from how others 'might' react to what we write. Or our fear of what they 'might' write. Or, will we get in trouble for what we might write? So, we are ultimately silenced out of our own fear - based on 'nothing'. No one actually has that sort of power over any of us. The internet is a free place where everyone has 'freedom of speech'.

Survivors actually have so very much power that most don't realize. Healthy communities that are based on freedom of speech and support that encourages strength to get through each day and each crisis - to be there for each other - are being ripped apart by those who do not wish for survivors to know their own strength, wisdom, or skills. The members are being made to feel weak, dependent on others, and silenced on the boards. It seems to be a new trend out there these days.

We have set up this board so that we protect members as best we can with out knowledge of who are trouble-makers and also, that every member here is actually a member of Ivory Garden Nonprofit Organization. You all have a say in how the forum is run - we don't have actual administrators who run the forum - the forum is run by the organization through votes of the Board of Directors (who are not all survivors and mostly, who do not interact on the forums). The forum has few 'rules' or guidelines - the terms of service and privacy policy which is agreed upon when anyone joins are agreed to and upheld. They are legal documents which protect members from being accessed through their private information and/or treated unfairly - based on the law. This puts a stop to what is happening on other support forums. We don't view this as a game where we feel like we can do whatever we want just because we started a board. This is everyone's community, and it is protected, not by 'control' of one or two people, but by very clear documents that are standard to all companies.

We have been around for some 10 years, and I have come to be able to identify when support forums have come to control members creating a kind of 'crowd control' problem where everyone 'follows the abuser' to turn on the board and staff effectively tearing the community apart. This only happens because of the way the boards are designed - to give everyone a place to come with few or no procedures for sign-up. It is difficult for staff, because no one wants to turn away people who need help. And, most online communities view 'success' as by how many members they can get - rather than attending to how members interact with each other.

So, safety 'is' so important to everyone - but 'trust' and 'loyalty' is a misnomer within online groups. To feel loyalty/trust is to 'give up' your own strength and independence to another/group -

These 'survivor' conferences are also in question right now. One conference being held for the past several years in Florida has had some very 'loyal' members/followers report that they have been encouraged to trust clinicians and/or speakers who were not safe, and they did so without question and without checking them out first.

I have been kicked, banned, called out, amount many other things. I started looking for support groups for DID in the beginning of my healing journey. Some of those did exactly as you describe. I was accused of being called a faker. I saw others get that too.

I have seen this happen, but also notice that certain members are affected (attacked or accessed depending) - telling me that these folks doing this 'know' who to access, who to attack, and when.

My answer to all of this is for survivors to stand together as 'who we are' - strong and competent. That groups work together for the purpose that we are created - to support each other as independent and empathetic. Otherwise, these groups are rendered unsafe - and, until they are able to restructure - people go where they please, realizing that not all groups are created equally or for the same purposes.

I am sorry that some groups will begin falling now - I want survivors to have safe places, safe therapists, and safe people running safe conferences - it saddens me when I hear that groups are using survivors for their own benefit. Everyone deserves to be treated well - and, that is the case here. I am always available - even by phone if someone wants to talk.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
Feychilde and all
Less than 100 posts
Less than 100 posts

Post by Feychilde and all on 8/27/2015, 8:19 pm

You are so brave, Felicity. All that you have written about.....those are many of my reasons for coming and going from survivor boards. I see how people get attacked and I have even had people I did not know try to set off programming. That was many years ago, and was NEVER here. But, those experiences have made it hard for me to reach out on a consistent basis. Those, plus the experiences of SRA/MC. It hurts because it sometimes feels like I cannot trust other survivors and that there is no safe place. You have been brave and you have been public. I deeply respect you, for, I could not do what you have done.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 8/27/2015, 10:40 pm

Hello, my friend. You have always been brave also for you have stood close to my side as have others. I am not so brave - maybe, really, really stubborn and very protective of other survivors. I have learned much from all of my experiences with this community. It is safe here and always has been - as I have never walked away from anyone - no matter what. I made a promise that I would always be here - and, as long as I can be - I will be. I am here for everyone to contact me anytime -

It is good to see you, and I hope that you are doing well. We have missed you, but never stop thinking of you

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
earheartdogs
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by earheartdogs on 8/30/2015, 12:53 pm

There can only be so much protecting, Falicity. At some point in time people have to make their own choices. Some of those choices are not for the benefit of others or themselves. Yet, if they are adults.. Then they will choose.
Sometimes no matter what barriers we put up in order to protect.. People make poor decisions. That is just life.
Some choices hurt. They hurt us.. They hurt other people. I admire your courage. All you can really do is protect yourself. You can only do so much as far as what others do.
We all learn as we go.. Whether it is forum contact or in life. Hopefully when we make mistakes or see others make them.. We are not doomed to repeat them.
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 6/25/2017, 10:10 pm