Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

Keywords

• Reply to topic

2 different 'types' of DID???

felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

2 different 'types' of DID???

Post by felicity on 1/25/2014, 1:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Okay, anyone who knows me well knows that I am overly curious about everything. I 'need' answers and when I can't get them 'somewhere', I become frustrated.

Others know that I don't use fb much - only because I am busy here and because, it gives me a headache trying to follow any kind of substantial discussion.

So, here we go.

I accidentally find myself on a new fb group that is focused on - as far as I could tell - differentiating between 2 different types of DID, how 'support' groups somehow influence members to attack each other calling each other 'fakers', and that the second 'type' of DID folks are more likely to fake for attention, and finally, how all of this cannot be divulged as of yet, because it is in the hands of some researchers in the UK - us (in other places) not understanding - presumably.

I spent a day or so trying to clarify all of this only to be told that it CANNOT be clarified, but is a 'secret'. Accordingly, I won't be returning to that group.

Of course, I wanted clarification, because firstly, I think that the DSMV does a fine job of categorizing the symptoms for DID. I also believe that everyone is different - that there are not 2 types of DID folks - doesn't make sense to me.

I would also argue that ALL support groups cannot be said to influence people to believe they have DID when they don't - and, mostly that ALL support groups attack each other in the way explained.

Of course, I am a bit angry since we do operate this group where I have NEVER, EVER read of such an attack here. In fact, the whole discussion going on there actually did trigger me a bit. There were attacks right there on the page - where the founder explained that 'other' groups behaved horribly - hmmm.

So, I am spinning reading everything. People attacking each other - actually calling one of our members a faker - she was crushed - how very hurtful.

So, I sit here confused - and not understanding what I am reading.

I want to ask anyone out there (remember this section of the board is open - and, please respect our guidelines) - has anyone heard of any theory about two different 'types' of DID - one being 'full-blown' and the other evidently not full-blown coming out of the UK? If you have, please explain this to us. I can't stand not knowing something that is said to be 'secret' - Just being honest.

Secondly, has anyone experienced a support group where people actually attack each other in this manner? Calling each other fakers and such? I am shocked.

Finally, has anyone belonged to a group where they tried to influence others to believe they had DID when they didn't?

Sorry - but, I just need to know what the heck is going on outside the Garden -

Possibly, I should not wander from this board. I truly am shocked hearing this stuff. Please fill me in - if you can.

I am also going to write this on the private section of the board, for those who do not want to be public.

Thanks for you input.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com

earheartdogs
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: 2 different 'types' of DID???

Post by earheartdogs on 8/30/2015, 12:53 pm

There can only be so much protecting, Falicity. At some point in time people have to make their own choices. Some of those choices are not for the benefit of others or themselves. Yet, if they are adults.. Then they will choose.
Sometimes no matter what barriers we put up in order to protect.. People make poor decisions. That is just life.
Some choices hurt. They hurt us.. They hurt other people. I admire your courage. All you can really do is protect yourself. You can only do so much as far as what others do.
We all learn as we go.. Whether it is forum contact or in life. Hopefully when we make mistakes or see others make them.. We are not doomed to repeat them.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 8/30/2015, 1:23 pm

Yes, that is so true. I guess, I should have said that I am protective of children - mainly, teens who don't have parents with them anymore.

I am have made some bad choices myself and learned from them - hard lessons - but, also met amazing people along the way.

But - yes - your words are correct. We all have choices and make them according to what we need and want out of life.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com

WeAreKaren
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by WeAreKaren on 1/8/2016, 8:55 am

Note: The below was posted on the survivor-only version of this thread, and so it may not entirely match what has been discussed here on the public version.

1. I agree with all who say there are not "types" of DID, two or otherwise. This is just another way to "divide and conquer".

2. I think all the reasons already stated can be reasons why people want to deny that DID is real, or claim that it is "very rare". I know of two others that seemed to be missing.
a. Many therapists believe DID is rare because that's what they were taught. My T said she was taught that DID was so rare she would never see a case of it in her career. Further, because it's supposedly so rare, they don't teach anyone about what I'll call the "everyday symptoms" of DID, such as losing track of time and frequently losing things (or having all sorts of coping mechanisms to be sure you don't lose track of time or lose things). My T had to learn about all that on her own, when she "refused to believe that a client was untreatable."

b. Some mental health care professionals retain the belief it's rare or refuse to believe it's real because *they have DID* (or related). If they were to admit it was more common / real, then they would have to see it in themselves and thus face the reality that they experienced ab*se. My Ex#2 falls squarely into this category. That's why only days after telling me how much she loved me and how happy she was with me, she left me in my current state and literally ran back to what used to be my home in another state. She, who had encouraged me to go to therapy, ran away the evening of my first day of therapy when I came home talking about having Complex PTSD and how my T had said that the lack of support of my family was the bigger trauma than being bullied in school. I'm positive that a part of Ex#2 knows she has DID and saw that I was going to expose her to all sorts of "dangerous" information and got her the hell away from me to protect her. (In hindsight, after living with her for 14 years, I certainly know she has DID.)

3. I disagree that there is a "type" of DID called poly fragmented DID. Poly fragmentation is simply at the far end of the scale as to the number and completeness of "dissociated ego states." I don't even think that having "parts" is the primary indicator of DID. As Felicity noted, it's the tendency to dissociate and all that brings with it, along with lots of other symptoms, that truly define a DID person. Parts, or alters, are just one other symptom.

And frankly, reading a contention that because I underwent the most severe type of trauma (RA) and split into 100s of parts, many of them fragments, means that I have a "different type" of DID makes me feel even more different and isolated than I already do. I'm not saying that the person who stated that feels that way about me and people like me. I'm just saying that's how it made me *feel*. And I believe that illustrates point 1.

I have DID just like everyone else on this board. I have all the classic symptoms that come with an extreme tendency and well-developed ability to dissociate. Just because I also have hundreds of parts, many of them fragments [which likely means that I experienced the most horrible ab*use there is (RA)], doesn't mean I belong in a "different class" of people.

It's bad enough that I know of, have remembered, or have indications of ab*se by my mother, father, brother and sister. I sure wish I could believe that dealing with the four of them plus SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) is the "only" reason I'm so fragmented. Unfortunately, I've had parts come forward to tell me no, that's not all. And although I have no desire to remember any RA, it's possible I will have no choice in order to achieve my goals. I'm sure you can imagine how scared and isolated it makes me feel to be at the "extreme" end of DID. Please don't isolate me further by putting me in a different "class" of people entirely.

I came here because I wanted to find people who are like me. I have felt different for all of my life for various reasons, including being smarter than most, a feminist in a patriarchal world, a pagan in a chr*stian-dominated society, a liberal in a conservative-dominated state, an introvert in an extrovert's world, etc., etc. And now I find that I am also someone with a rare disorder that carries a stigma, as if it were *my* fault that I have the condition, instead of the fault of my ab*sers - and ultimately of my society. This happened to me because the society I live in made it possible. So of course that society doesn't want to take responsibility by admitting it's real.

Well, someday I am going to be in a condition to try to change that!!! In the meantime, I have found a group of people among whom I can finally feel that I belong. So please don't allow those who are attempting to de-realize *us* succeed by allowing them to propogate their false and unsupported contentions of "types" of DID.

4. So 3 was a bit wandering and angry and I apologize for that. I also want to re-emphasize that I'm not saying anyone here believes what I stated. I'm just expressing how it makes me *feel*.

Thank you Felicity, Krathyn, and all the others who make this board possible. I feel that I have found a home here. And I know I am going to need that in the difficult months and years to come.

Karen Rose / Red Feather / Dark Karen
The Revolving, Tripartite Host of the Karen System

Karen Rose
"Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows, lies the seed that with the sun's love in the spring becomes the Rose."

Red Feather
"Reach deep within to find your calm center."

Dark Karen
"I am woman, hear me roar..."
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 1/10/2016, 3:34 pm

Well-said. In searching out answers for the question that came up on fb so long ago, I have found answers right here - from our members. You all are amazing and brilliant and empathetic - what can I say? I am blessed to be with you all.

(For those reading, this thread is also being discussed on the private area of our forum).

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
vlynxy
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by vlynxy on 1/25/2016, 10:29 am

I'm pretty sure I've said enough about this subject that people can see how "my" system has grown and changed over time. We've been Very stable for awhile now with Mercy (Protecting) Lynx (Front) Victoriah (inside... "boss") in that sort of order, protecting insiders from the outside...

Yeah, stuff slips out, and messes up from time to time, but we keep reforming into this stable, balanced, way of Being Us =)

I would think overly fragmented, if too chaotic, might need some outside help to sort into a more stable system... but I'm pretty sure if folks, no matter how "broken"? I don't like that word... if folks who were Healing from all the Damage they've tanked, could sort themselves out just fine, if they had a place of peace to rest. The more caring, understanding and comfortable a "person"(body) can be, the faster Who they Are, can selfheal =)

manysunshine
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by manysunshine on 3/17/2016, 9:59 pm

We don't know if there are 2 different types of DID. But we do know that we have only found one other DIDer who experiences DID much like we do. We think all DIDers experience their DID differently in ways. Some have permanent hosts. Some, like us, have "slippery" hosts. Some have complete co-consciousness, while some are completely amnesiac. Some have only 1 other part and some have many other parts. Some have more control over parts coming out in public and others don't. So, we aren't clear about 2 different types of DID, but perhaps many ways of experiencing DID.
vlynxy
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by vlynxy on 3/18/2016, 11:32 am

Very much agree, manysunshine. Everyone is different, unique people with unique perspectives, even every "normal" person is an individual.

We may share things in common, and have things we can relate to each other with, but we're all our own person(s) unlike any other =)
SoullessAndPained
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by SoullessAndPained on 4/7/2016, 12:34 am

I haven't been on here for donkey ages but i got a notice to my e-mail some months ago and only signed into my e-mail today. I lost the page when all my favs and tool bar was erased.
I can only comment on what docs have told me here in the UK. I was told unless I openly switched for my Psych to see (plus 2 other random ppl in the room) that they can not fully say I have D.I.D any more although they " noticed my different behaviours and personalities" they wanted to see me switch. Everything in my body and my alters were screaming No. I got angry, triggered, cried, then asked to leave.

Frankly I still believe the people in that group were out to start trouble and trouble only. At the end of the day there aren't different types. There are those who outwardly display and it is more noticeable and those who outwardly display but it is less noticeable. that's my own opinion any way (shrug)
anthology
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

Post by anthology on 4/7/2016, 7:28 am

I think that everyone experiences DID differently. Some people switch a lot with amnesia, others are co-con, others barely switch at all. Diagnoses tend to be more about finding the word that fits best than trying to force someone to match a definition.

Back when we switched more, we were pretty co-con. I could feel a switch coming, and would encourage it, in hopes of giving everyone time out to do what they wanted. I wouldn't remember much from switches. Only brief snapshots of what happened while I was gone. We switched in front of people a lot, but tried to hide it unless we were around people we really trusted. In front of our roommates, we'd switch openly, but at school we'd hide. Things like that. We weren't really able to control our switching, but I was able to sort of encourage a switch if I wanted to. However, if someone was coming out and I didn't want them to, I had no control over it.

That's the kind of DID I experienced. I'm sure everyone feels it differently
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 4/7/2016, 9:05 am

I may have said this already, but lots of time has gone since I started this post - and, that group had so much trouble - evidently- they are no longer there.

And, it did come from a UK source - you are probably more familiar with how they do things.

So, great to see you - Soulless - we have missed you. I just put up a good article about DID and the new DSMV criteria - which no longer includes that much about 'parts', but more about dissociation and such. Here is the link https://www.igdid.com/t41251-dissociative-identity-disorder-definition-sypmptoms-dsm5-great-article

Lots of reading, but I thought clarified it all.

We have never 'allowed' anyone to 'see us switch' - we are very aware, from our past abuse, that once someone has contact with our littles or other vulnerable parts, they have executive control over us. 'They' called that 'called parts out' - and, we do not ever let it happen. If an alter inside is warning - listen and heed that warning - the person is dangerous and has no business getting that close - or thinking that they can. That is like someone asking you to bear your deepest secrets in order to give you therapy.

As far as criteria of DID, no one can really tell if someone is DID unless they give all of the assessments - and, then they can't be sure. And, who cares anyhow - it is the 'symptoms' that they are there to help with - not the dx. You know that, and I know that - it is the clinicians that need to start doing their jobs. If you have an ED, they should be treating that - not sitting around judging and making us feel like crap. Right?

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
anthology
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

Post by anthology on 4/7/2016, 10:20 am

Yeah, doctors should treat the appearing symptoms before worrying about anything else
vlynxy
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by vlynxy on 4/16/2016, 11:55 am

felicity wrote:
We have never 'allowed' anyone to 'see us switch' - we are very aware, from our past abuse, that once someone has contact with our littles or other vulnerable parts, they have executive control over us.

We allow people to see us switch. We very much understand that Executive Control bit you mention, and we found the ways it's worked in us, and made changes. Lots of things like that, so lots of changes needed to be made... Also had to dive deep into old memories, to find those littles, and the "switches" so they couldn't be manipulated that way anymore.

They flip my switches, they're gonna get a Dragon instead of a little girl.

Recently, as we mentioned elsewhere, a shrink tried to put us on anti-psychotics because we admitted to "hearing voices (which we do sometimes (schizo), and talk out loud to ourselves, etc) but we told him we Like our voices, and he could piss off. All we needed was an anti-Anxiety, and we can manage the rest, ourselves. Her voice comes out very deep and gravelly at times...

He didn't even argue. Just wrote the script, and left with his little nurse person in tow...

Guess he didn't like the way Mercy spoke to him ;-)

And then we went right back to being pleasant and nice with the clinician who we had the appointment with =)
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 4/16/2016, 5:57 pm

What a great idea - flip the switches - I love it.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
vlynxy
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by vlynxy on 4/17/2016, 5:26 am

Well, we probably shouldn't be so blithe about it. It's not like we go lookin' for trouble xD It does tend to find us at times, which is how we've found so many of the gorram things in the first place -_-

Lynx always pokin around in stuff, tryin' to "figure things out" and can't just let things be things.

Cats. ~sighs~
Willow
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by Willow on 4/17/2016, 2:58 pm

There is some recently published stuff in the UK where they are referring to DID and Active DID - the only difference being that "active did" refers to people with DID who are still being "accessed" or abused. (Generally linked with RA).
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 4/18/2016, 2:41 pm

hmm - that is interesting - isn't it?

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 10/19/2017, 1:09 pm