Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

Does the idea of processing trauma freak you out -article

Patchesmany
Patchesmany
Patchesmany

Does the idea of processing trauma freak you out -article

Post by Patchesmany on 4/28/2014, 8:52 am

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/after-trauma/2013/12/does-the-idea-of-processing-trauma-freak-you-out/

This article is by a social worker and has a great chart that shows how processing trauma in therapy is supposed to work. It really shows nicely in moving images what is supposed to happen.

patches

MultipleMe
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Re: Does the idea of processing trauma freak you out -article

Post by MultipleMe on 4/28/2014, 9:58 am

Wow that was interesting. Thanks for sharing - I'll have to chat with my T about it. :)
jules4002
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by jules4002 on 4/28/2014, 1:23 pm

oh i liked that and good timing thanks

rach3121
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by rach3121 on 4/28/2014, 8:59 pm

Our T regularly talks about this and is very mindful of it.
Tori
10,000+ Posts
10,000+ Posts

Post by Tori on 4/29/2014, 6:07 am

Thanks for sharing … good article.

Post by Guest on 6/8/2014, 9:18 am

Thanks for sharing. I know that it helps because I have done this just talking to friends and I feel more connected with myself and mostly integrated with one alter through doing it. I think it helps to listen to calming music when you are processing a memory. Has anyone else here tried it? I get frusterated though because I have a therapist that told me it new research suggests doing this just retramatises people and acknoledging there alters makes them worse. I have found a lot of people making this claim but no real evidence. Its completely unlogical anyways. I have also had people try to call me a demon for being an alter. I am a host alter which most people would assume is the same as the core. It is for some people not me. We have a few hosts. We switch hosts now and then. But I still feel I connect or integrate just like a core would to different alters. Anyone else go through that? Mabee our system is just confusing.
The Clowder (Smith)

Post by The Clowder (Smith) on 2/22/2015, 1:04 am

That article helps explain the unexpected results of one of my system's personal projects. We were trying to wear down the inside-outside amnesia barriers by having an alter on the inside share memories of a common internal experience with a friend holding the body...but we don't know of very many common experiences to draw from, except for all the trauma the ex-persecutor alter put us through. So we've mostly ended up sharing memories of his brutal splitting sessions. It is very upsetting to relive those memories, and it's the most bizarre mixture of emotions to relive them in his arms. Yet, the most striking end result isn't an improvement in the area of memory, it's the improvements in our emotional scars from what he put us through. We never saw that coming and didn't understand why it was occurring. It feels so paradoxical that remembering being hurt could make it feel better. But I guess this is the normal way to process trauma memories after all??

To the above guest, we also have several hosts and encourage frequent rotations to reduce stress (especially due to our lack of adults). We consider it a career more than a quality, so people may sign up or retire at any time. We're unsure what innate differences exist between a core, a host, and a plain alter, and literature that assumes the existence of a single core or host leaves us confused. We all seem capable of integration and splitting, but if we ever had to merge with The Original Person, we wouldn't know what to do.

We share the experience of being called d*mo*s as well, but our situation is more complicated. Many of us actually believe in d*mo*s, and have even asked religious authorities for help with the frequent internal kidnappings/monster attacks. Unfortunately, they ignore all the reported problems and zero in on the multiple personalities aspect instead. It's likely that most mean well, but by the time they've said, "YOU are the real person and need to stand up to these demonic impostors!" to several alters in a row, they come across sounding incompetent or maliciously insincere. It's depressing because we'd love external support if we could find any. :(

Sorry for the tangent. I hope it didn't disrupt the flow of remarks in any way.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 2/22/2015, 9:39 am

Wow - this post is over a year old. Thank you Patches - you are the best at finding and posting articles.

We are some 10 years into t and still working at "stabilization" - not too into processing or 'looking' for memories to process as of yet.

We were just thinking about writing an article on the first two - four years after being diagnosed - what we consider the 'crisis time' - when we spent most of the time in crisis: flashbacks, self-injury, eating disorder, etc. Processing memories or even having any sent us spiraling into crisis. We now understand better why that was such a difficult time. It wasn't 'desensitization' at all, but the fact that we were just visiting the same flashback over and over - no processing was happening.

We needed to bring those 'parts' into the now and out of the abusive situation that we were visiting. So, they could 'remember' rather than fall into flashbacks. We know now that 'remembering' is an entirely different experience than visiting a flashback. 'Remembering' feels as if we can relate to the experience - we feel empathy, sadness, and calm. Visiting flashbacks brings on panic, fear, and a need to run - (our experience only.)

I think that the article makes one point that many take for granted or try to 'skip over' as a 'given'. The first three years, as we are aware now, were not 'really' as much crisis as we believed at the time. All this strange stuff was happening as we were working on journaling, getting to know the alters, etc. New alters showing up - some dangerous, us falling into flashbacks, etc. New stuff we had not experienced before - and we were just plain scared. Scared of what 'we' might do, scared that we were going insane, scared that if we didn't call the t or a friend, something horrible would happen. Why? We weren't told what the jounalling might bring about, we were not taught that it was okay to be scared, we had no clue what it 'felt like' to fall into flashbacks, etc. In essence, we were not taught the necessary coping skills to ground or even what to expect once we began working with t. We learned many of the coping skills here on this forum and/or during our many hospital visits. We didn't realize that we were simply so very scared. It is difficult to learn or use coping skills once you already in crisis.

So, now our questions is "What if we didn't call the t all those times or go to the h?" Well... we would have been 'scared' - there was nothing life-threatening about our fear. Granted, we thought that there was - this part 'might' kill us or that part 'might' hurt us. We always saw ourself as strong - now we were dependent on others - hoping to find someone to 'help' us in our fear. Needy and helpless - we didn't know where to turn. And, because of all of this, we lost everything - became literally disabled. I am not saying this is 'bad' or out of the norm for us. Just saying that it, had we been told more what to expect, it may not have taken ten years to get here - to this realization. We are still strong. We never needed to be so dependent at all. T say that we need to know someone cares. Well, I did have many friends who cared, but once I began acting so 'out of it', most of them just left unable to 'be' the caregiver I guess I thought that I needed.

I am to the point now where I don't know anymore. They say it is time to begin processing memories. I wonder - if that is so - why are people processing memories like one year into therapy.

Just some questions and thoughts. The chart makes sense - of course, but at the same time - are they talking about 'memories' or just reliving the same flashbacks over and over?

We have talked about this on the forums also.

Those who are not members of the forums are only getting this one forum to read.

If you wish to join our group, you need to join Ivory Garden - a nonprofit organization by clicking 'apply' and completing the completely private form - then, we will send you information once you are approved.

If you were a member here, just email me - we have redesigned Ivory Garden, and there are changes. You are always welcome.

Also know that you only need have a dissociative disorder - to belong here. We don't judge your application based on your dx, but on whether you would feel comfortable. My email is in my signature if you have questions.

You can also just join Ivory Garden to support us - here - https://www.igdid.com/h143-join-igdid

Thank you or participating on our forums - we appreciate it.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 8/23/2017, 2:53 am