Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

Antipsychotic Drugs Often Given to Intellectually Disabled in Absence of Mental Illness

felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Antipsychotic Drugs Often Given to Intellectually Disabled in Absence of Mental Illness

Post by felicity on 9/10/2015, 1:22 pm

This is an interesting article.

I believe that they also prescribe them when they aren't sure about dx - especially with dissociation, DID, PTSD, etc. What do you all think?

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com

Re: Antipsychotic Drugs Often Given to Intellectually Disabled in Absence of Mental Illness

Post by Guest on 9/10/2015, 1:44 pm

In the 90s, they were given out to people with DID like candy. Don't think it as common today, but can see how they can be beneficial to some people with DID to cut the edge off. Definitely a point of controversy.
hideandseek
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Re: Antipsychotic Drugs Often Given to Intellectually Disabled in Absence of Mental Illness

Post by hideandseek on 9/10/2015, 4:09 pm

I am jaded when it comes to big pharma ... all I see is a money making machine, exploiting the vulnerable.

I am angered to read that the vulnerable are begin drugged so that their behavior is more tolerable ... shouldn't we be looking at their bahaviour and discovering the true pain and fear behind it? IMO, drugs mask the pain and hidden pain leads to a lifetime of misery where healing can never take place.

I see my doc as a drug pusher ... she makes money every time she writes a prescription - she receives a commission for pushing drugs to me ... on some level she cares, but mostly she cares about her bottom line. Docs receive commissions for sales ... it is a fact and it is just unethical!

I know there are many here who benefit from meds and I am glad for them and grateful that they benefit and their lives are made easier, I am grateful they are helped and I think there is a place for meds, to help stabalise ... but it never ends there, they were supposed to stabalise me and then I was supposed to get off them ... it never happened that way ... not for me ... not for most of us here.

meds just made things worse in the long run, I glad I am off them ... glad I fired my p docs who kept pushing more and more meds with higher and higher doses ... keeping me dependent, vulnerable and disempowered ... all in an attempt to control my behaviour ... yes, control my behaviour; just as the vulnerable in this article have their behaviour controlled ... control dissociation, control flashbacks, control sleep, control nightmares, control intrusive imagery, control emotional outbursts .... make my behaviour more tolerable ... Tolerable for who? me? yes, for my spouse? ... yes ... for my T? ... yes.

I did not like being made tolerable.

Freedom from meds has brought me freedom to heal, freedom to develop skills I need to heal, freedom to be completely present, so that I can heal.

I am sure this opinion is not shared by many ... I know it is just my opinion fueled by my experience, and as I say, I acknowledge that there are those here who benefit greatly ... I am just suspicious of the money making machine which keeps us all dependent.
Nicolette
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by Nicolette on 9/20/2015, 10:13 pm

I don't agree with people being whats called in the medical field- chemically restrained- given meds to control their behavior.

I do agree that doctors nowadays are more pill pushers than problem fixers. But I also see people look for an instant easy fix ... pills can you feel better in the same day......as opposed to 3-10 years of therapy to just feel normal. The easy way out wins. Just sayin

Nicolette

ronja
Less than 100 posts
Less than 100 posts

Post by ronja on 10/27/2015, 8:00 pm

From my personal experiences back in the 1960's through to mid to late 80's the psychiatrists were trying to help me but they just did not understand what was wrong ...... nor did I! Depending upon which "me" was being assessed at the time I would be given a diagnosis followed by what they believed to be the appropriate meds to help me. Today I can imagine their dilemma when they would look at my lengthy charts and the many different diagnoses/treatments including ECT........ (depression/hysteria/borderline schizophrenia/anxiety/... to name a few) and to see in the followups that "I" was often non-compliant, arguing with them that "I knew I was crazy but their pills only made me worse" (in fact in most instances "I" became suicidal). Much of what I now know about my past mental health/treatments I have learned from reading tombes of old files including the last year before being diagnosed with DID (many reports very embarrassing I might add). Insofar as my own internal "system" is concerned I believe that the medications given were dangerous and I prefer not to elaborate on that .... one reason being that I am still not certain which part/parts of me were medicated. Hope this makes sense in re meds and DID.
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 10/27/2015, 8:51 pm

inappropriate medication is often given to DID because they do not have the diagnosis (DX) correct and sometimes since different parts show up in the psychiatrist (pdoc)'s office the needs can look very different.
I have heard that DID itself has no specific meds, and some people with DID do best on none. Many take small doses of anti -anxiety or anti-depressant medications, because it helps with the anxiety or depression the DID person has. Sometimes one of the alters in a system needs a specific medication. A common need for many DID and C-PTSD people is medication for sleep.
It would be good if pdoc's tried to get people on as little medication as possible if DID. Unfortunately that is against the way things go with the companies that make medications.

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, Easebeth, Petrea
Krathyn of We5:    we accept all intentions of support--

krathyn148@gmail.com
Beverly
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Beverly on 2/16/2016, 5:16 am

Medication thx always heats me up.
I was diagnosed Bipolar at about 23. The anti depressants make me took sad and suicidal. Anti anxiety puts me to sleep and anti psych take away my ability to think and process simple information.
I was labeled "non compliant" then mis diagnosed with several other serious mental disorders. Pcizo affective, BPD ....

When I started seeing my T and learned about DID I understood the confusion but resent the fact that I was blamed for causing my distinction.

I stopped all meds. And will never see another psychiatrist. Once I made that decision I became happier.

I use healthy eating and exercise and mindfulness now to manage my symptoms.

Ug, psych meds are a scam.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 2/16/2016, 9:59 am

It is simply amazing how many people 'trust' the pdocs - despite that many don't even 'believe' in dissociation or understand PTSD - has been my experience. If they are not familiar with the DSM5, they are not qualified to treat me or really anyone, for that matter. They can't 'make' clients any dx they want, just by being lazy and opinionated - slapping whatever convenient dx at hand - and then, prescribe medications that match. Which is what many do - I see their DSM5 up on their bookshelf buried in dust.

I mean, they are also MD's too - they should know what these drugs do to ppl physically as well as psychologically.

Back to my point - I hear people all the time telling me that they have a 'new dx' - some crap like 'avoidance personality disorder' or 'reactive attachment disorder' or 'Borderline Personality Disorder' or some sort of depressive or bipolar - really? And, clients trust these pdocs who actually spent less than 15 min coming up with dx's - are they psychic? There should be assessments and evaluations before they can make a valid dx. And, when a handful of meds don't help, rather than realize that they don't help because the client doesn't have the dx, they call them 'resistant' and advise ECT - rather than take the time to really evaluate. ECT? - which btw, is becoming more and more common. I just saw an advertisement where the hospital has the ECT equipment 'on site' - as if that were a positive and healthy perk to going there. That is truly scary.

Simple commonsense should tell clients that something is wrong with that entire program. But, most clients want to feel better so badly - and, think that a magic pill and/or ECT will help more than them getting good therapy and working through symptoms themselves - they totally believe and trust - actually, becoming angry when the dx and prescribed meds are questioned by family and friends - and, even ethical pdocs or pcp's. But, then - ppl become so drugged that thinking clearly is no longer an option for them. Suddenly, physical symptoms become evident - which are the actual side-effects of all the meds - some having long-term physical effects - including ECT. Does anyone read the 'book' of side-effects that come in a little bag with each of these meds? No - most don't.

I know this is over-generalized. There are some amazing pdoc's out there - and, even pharmacists who are wonderful at explaining what you are taking and the effects. Those ethical pdoc's will always explain that unless absolutely necessary, meds like anti-psychotics are very powerful and should not be taken unless absolutely necessary - if you are psychotic and absolutely cannot function without them (for instance). The same with anti-seizure meds - they help? Why - do you have Epilepsy - I can hear the arguments now - "they help other things too..." Okay, well to each their own - right? I agree to disagree -

Then, of course there is the idea that many have realized that meds are so over-prescribed that selling street drugs is not longer needed - most street drugs are now pharmaceuticals. We call these 'dealers' - 'farmers' - aptly named. Just head down to your local dealer - if you need meds - cheaper than paying a pdoc and the pharmacy. Everyone can 'drug away' their symptoms - either way - with the excuse that they have some dx from their pdoc who saw them 15 minutes.

Everyone is responsible for their own health and well-being. We have the right to 'turn down' taking meds - you don't 'have' to listen to every pdoc you see. It is too late once you find yourself tied down to an ECT machine - or you are coming out of it with no memory of how to tie your shoes.

I have been in that cycle - they mis-dx'd me so many times - actually, I don't have any of those dx's - but, they are on my record - even worse. I didn't begin to show signs of any symptoms until my body and brain began trying to adapt to nearly 12 different meds a day - including antipsychotics. I could barely pour myself a cup of coffee in the morning - much less think about my day. When I complained, pdoc said, "Don't you want to get better? If you don't, we will have to use ECT." - A threat? I don't even remember those two years - lost my job, and everything in my life.

Finally, a neurologist took me off all of the meds. I had to be in hospital in order for them to watch for seizures - and other withdrawal symptoms.

"I" did that to myself by listening to and trusting pdocs to 'save me' with the magic pills.

No meds for me since then - some 8 years now. Finally, I became functional and able to work through symptoms with a good therapist. I could not have moved forward to functionality while taking those meds. Once you are reliant on any medication, it is impossible for professionals to properly diagnose anything but addiction. Of course, you are 'resistant' - these type drugs are powerful with powerful effects - physically and psychologically - often with side-effects that cause depression, suicidal ideation, etc. etc. So, now you are dx with depression - really? Because you have suicidal ideation - I have been there - done that. It is a long road to disaster. Everyone reacts to the side-effects of these meds - you can't just avoid them by taking another med. Now, anti-depressants - which again have side-effects - then, bi-polar - another med - and on and on. Sleep problems? Answer - another anti-psychotic. Anxiety? Answer - another anti-seizure med. One to counteract the other.

Whew - no - this is no answer to health and functionality.

I am glad to hear that others have also come to that realization. there is so much controversy right now about the pharmaceutical industry and the amount of money they make. Sometimes, I do wonder if clients are being dx, medicated, and addicted in order to finance these companies. Do pdoc's get a 'kickback'? I don't know. I can only take care of me - and, know that none of these drugs did anything, but make me a big mess. I will never take them again, and don't encourage anyone to take meds unless they are needed and to make sure that the side-effect are worth the positive effects.

Well... there is my take on the whole thing. Just my opinion based on my experience. I can 'be' sick if I want to - and, use that as an excuse for taking drugs or be strong and know that I don't need to be addicted in order to get through each day. I am strong and intelligent - I'd like to stay that way.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
Beverly
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Beverly on 2/17/2016, 4:33 am

This is Boom. I'm a nice guy. I came to say how safe I feel in this group. For years I've been fighting with docs about the harm of meds.
We just started seeing a nutritionist but we missed a few appointment ops.
Anyway, this is the first time I've heard others agree and I'm really happy about that.

Bye. Boom
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 2/17/2016, 10:25 am

Hi Boom
This is Kathrynmarie
We have 2 meds
The lithium is bad for
Our Kidneys and the Abilify is too expensive so we won't be on them much longer
We do ok when we miss them

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, Easebeth, Petrea
Krathyn of We5:    we accept all intentions of support--

krathyn148@gmail.com
  • Reply to topic