Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

Some Professionals Punish DID

A7

Some Professionals Punish DID

Post by A7 on 11/23/2015, 5:42 pm

How many dissociatives in recovery have group leaders or other professionals shouting at them that being in hard therapy for years means the person is a "professional patient" and is "never going to be well"?! This happened to me today and it was someone I trusted, a very public humiliation. Why are some mental health professionals so utterly intolerant of DID?
Justiz43
Less than 100 posts
Less than 100 posts

Re: Some Professionals Punish DID

Post by Justiz43 on 11/24/2015, 10:52 am

DID remains highly controversial in the Mental Health field. Many doubt it's existence, others are oblivious, some afraid and the list goes on.

I've been in therapy for the majority of my life simply because, it helps me cope. Without it - I don't do well.

So guess what? If I had someone say that to me I would say:

Hmmm a Lifer - awesome... I am and, I am damn proud to be one!!! However, I'm curious as to why you would say something like that? You may want to think about that...

In other words, don't take their comments, etc. to heart. Although it may seem that the issue is with you it is the exact opposite. They are the ones with the problem.

We can't change others - we can only change us...

Hang in there!!

JUSTIZ43

Fildragon
Fildragon
Fildragon

Post by Fildragon on 11/24/2015, 11:21 am

I keep DID as quiet as possible, am very grateful my PDoc is accepting of it though, but for the rest no one needs know. So misunderstood. Being a minority group on so many other levels: homosexual, a foreigner, disabled, and then also DID, ach no. No one needs know irl. And yeah what if we are "lifers" we have DID we are DID, it is normal. At least for me DID is normal, been DID since I was four, just is how I am stuck together, no big deal. Someone suffering bipolar depression also needs lifetime treatment, no one frowns on that anymore, though when I was younger it was taboo like DID. Professionals can be so ignorant, stuck in their ways, stupid. Bah. Like idiot doctors who blame the ab*s*d for their ab*s*. I don't have time for that kind of people in my life and send them straight to hell.

Post by Guest on 11/24/2015, 6:59 pm

When I went to graduate school in social work. The dean of our college has a Phd in social work said she goes to therapy every week and has for years. "It is one of the most healthy things people can do for themselves."
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 11/24/2015, 11:25 pm

The first thing I learned in psychology grad school was that there is no such thing as 'normal', and the second was that going to therapy was better than a great massage - a gift we give ourself. I never learned about DID - we read "Sybil" - that was it.

I think that many professionals are ignorant about dissociative disorders. I some may be 'afraid' of their own ignorance and/or prejudiced by misinformation they acquired, but never investigated.

I find that attitude abusive and would wonder about her purpose for choosing a field that is meant to help people. Not everyone picks their fields for the 'right' reasons. Some believe that they have the answers - no one has the answers. We are all in this world together - just trying to get by best as we can and hopefully caring and respecting each other - despite what our individual opinions might be. Right? People can say hurtful things - they are about them - not you.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
lizzie-et-al
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by lizzie-et-al on 11/25/2015, 5:06 am

we had a good shrink in the last town we lived in 15 yrs ago. here we just see our primary care doc and get our psych meds from him.(we have other diognoses too) anyhow he believes us and it's on our list of illnesses. then we tried haldol and it made us suicidal. voluntarily we went inpatient. we were immediately labled something else and were seeking attention. got no help. stayed in there a few days got better just because were were someplace safe unable to harm ourselves. got out quick, back to our p.c.doc got our chart put back to order right away. those shrinks harmed me because they didn;t believe did exists. makes me mad. lizbeth of me, myselves, and us-es!
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 12/16/2017, 6:42 am