Welcome to Ivory Garden DID Support Forum

Welcome Guests to Ivory Garden DID Support Forum

Come on in and take a look around.

Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Create your chat login

Please use your exact IG-DID membername so that the avatar loading will work correctly

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

Copyright, articles, and links

felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Copyright, articles, and links

Post by felicity on 1/26/2016, 9:54 am

About copyright, articles, and links to sites.

Within our Terms of Service and those you agree to when you 'accept' to join Forumotion & IG-DID Terms of Service are very strict guidelines concerning copyright, putting links on the forum, and posting articles.  

This post is simply a reminder to everyone here.  

Links: I know that our members are aware of the problem with links - youtube is fine and most sites that do not have ads.  But, please get permission before posting any link that you are not sure about.  Even images can have embedded links.  You can tell if you click on them and they take you to a site off this forum.  They are not okay - because they can feed ads and such to this server.  

Articles:  Some folks love to write articles.  If you write articles, you are responsible for correctly sourcing them - meaning to use the APA or other guidelines when writing them and before sharing them here.  If you simply state that you took information from a book or whatever to write your article, that is clear copyright infringement on someone's work.  You cannot take someone's work and spin it to argue your point - that should be general knowledge, but I understand that it may not be for everyone - so just a reminder.  Please research copyright laws before posting anything that integrates another author's work.  Also, do not post articles in complete form here without getting permission from the author.

Do not copy posts or any other information from this forum to another site or from another site to here.  That is clearly in violation of terms of service and a copyright violation.  If you do, it will be found, and that site will be reported and possibly taken down from the internet.  

Copyright infringement is a very serious violation on the internet and elsewhere.  We cannot take the chance of our site being reported because of members' posts.  Therefore, we remain strict that all members be knowledgeable about this topic.

Don't get me wrong - we love articles here, but be careful to get permission before posting, be informed and educated about the copyright laws and if in question, email a copy of the post, link, or article to me for approval.  

Take this reminder seriously and know that when you write or share, it is your responsibility to know that you have not infringed on anothers work and/or endangered our forum by putting a link on it that is not safe.

Since this post is public, I would love to hear from those who have more experience in this area and have input or suggestions.

Thank you for your continued support and understanding.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
vlynxy
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Copyright, articles, and links

Post by vlynxy on 1/28/2016, 10:31 am

Apologies for asking for a clarification that I don't think is really addressed appropriately in most articles regarding "copyrights"

I've had ideas in my mind since I was a child, and not enough understanding of "the language" to really speak my mind and point of view with clarity... and having read so many books, and having listened to so many of other peoples points of view, using my own understandings as compared to others, isn't really the same thing... very different from Plagiarism, for a specific example of what I think you mean... This sentence in particular though:

"You cannot take someone's work and spin it to argue your point - that should be general knowledge, but I understand that it may not be for everyone"

If I take My Own work, that I've been "working on" Myself, that I didn't have a way of saying in a way others could understand, but the ideas I present sound similar to something someone else has said, past or present... often enough in part because I had to try to understand someone else's point of view, before I could coherently express my own... These kinds of arguments can go on for hours in my head... and that's "just me"

It's just that as person with so much "book knowledge" in my head, (and I'm sure there's lots os us kinda folks around here) I can see myself easily quoting someone else, simply because so many people throughout human history have probably said one thing or another at some point in time, that it can be hard...

I understand "The Law"

Copyright Law is an abomination. You can't "Own" a Thought. Thoughts are meant to be freely shared, and while I of Course agree people should give credit where it's Due... "giving credit" is a way different idea than "implied ownership"

I might be able to simplify all that if I wasn't (feels in trouble), I just didn't want to add confusion to something that you were trying to keep relatively clear and simple to keep people out of trouble =/
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 1/28/2016, 1:27 pm

We can think about it this way:

There are programs that will search the internet for 'identical content' in order to see if someone has 'copied' your work and taken credit for it. Programs also search our forums for the same. If you write a post here and it is also found elsewhere on another forum - 'bam' - that forum can be removed without any warning at all - and, the same here.

Some things are okay - like if you paraphrase and give credit to the author or if you quote and source properly. If you have lots of 'book learning' and write what you 'know' - that is okay - but, don't 'copy' the author's work word for word and take credit for their work.

'Spinning' copyright protected work is like - let me give you an example. Someone, many years ago came to our board, copied a paragraph from our mission statement - and then, proceeded to use it as proof of her point of view that ppl with DID are deranged liars - so to say. I made the complaint to that server and that site was removed for copyright infringement. Sometimes, it will happen where someone will take a bit of a sentence and spin it to mean something completely different - in order to make their point. Like one of our members recently copied a bit of a post of mine where I stated that I feel triggered by reading posts with explicit content - to add evidence to her post that anyone who posted explicit details would be banned.

The main thing is that we respect others intellectual work - source it correctly, gain their permission before copying it and sharing, and there is no problem.

What doesn't work is to write an entire article that is slanted or generalized to state personal opinion with blurb at the bottom - 'unless otherwise stated, this came from this or that book'. And, when others don't agree, invalidate their feelings by again writing strong personal opinions using a prominent name with no sources as the evidence to back an opinion that is obviously not the author sourced. This is argumentative and not discussion as we encourage on our forum.

It is pretty much common sense. You don't want to go to another forum and find your post there - that someone else copied and took credit for. If you write an article based on your experience and knowledge you gained from wherever - you don't want to see it elsewhere with someone else taking credit for it. And, you don't want your name used to back some hateful person's opinion - and, see your work or posts used as their evidence.

The internet is pretty much open for anyone to say anything about anyone - true or not true. People's lives and businesses have been damaged badly because of internet trolls or hateful people writing lies and spinning truth. Many people don't realize that they should never believe what is written on the internet. But, the copyright laws do help some - your work is at least protected, and that makes it a bit harder for folks to defame other's character. What you write is yours' - who to believe is up to the reader.

At any rate - if you are unsure, just pass it by me. When I put up articles, I contact the author and ask - generally they have no problem - and I just add at the bottom where I got permission and when.

I apologize if I don't have all the facts totally correct here. This is meant to protect our forum and follow terms of service and the authors out there. I am not pretending to be an expert on copyright or copyright infringement.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
vlynxy
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by vlynxy on 1/28/2016, 2:19 pm

Thank you =) I think you re-explained what I was trying to say, much clearer than I did xD

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 5/23/2017, 5:24 pm