Welcome to Ivory Garden DID Support Forum

Welcome Guests to Ivory Garden DID Support Forum

Come on in and take a look around.

Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Create your chat login

Please use your exact IG-DID membername so that the avatar loading will work correctly

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

Unique Trauma-Informed Care Conference

felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 7/9/2016, 3:54 pm

Every year, a nonprofit, charitable organization hosts a conference near Seattle.  The organization is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation.  As unique as the conference itself, this group promotes education and awareness for virtually anyone interested in childhood trauma and how it affects people.  Survivors of abuse, professionals, and similar nonprofit organizations will again gather this year in Seattle to hear world-renowned speakers, authors, and researchers who volunteer their time to help fulfill the purpose of educating and raising awareness of childhood trauma, treatments that benefit folks struggling with symptoms of trauma, and how survivors of trauma can best cope.
Dr. Loewenstein presentation 2015 Trauma and Dissociation Conference
This year the theme of the conference is:
“Perspectives on Trauma-Informed Care”
Attendees will be able to:
1. Describe the components of trauma-informed care, and how they differ from standard care.
2. Describe the basic physiology of the trauma response in mammals.
3. Describe the concept of complex PTSD and the symptoms it includes.
4. Describe the role of trauma in psychosis and depression.
5. Describe the core features of a teaching program for trauma-informed care.
This may sound like any other conference or seminar where professionals go to get their credit hours fulfilled.   After all, 17 CEU’s with certificates are available with certificate to Licensed Social Workers, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists and Licensed Mental Health Counselors (Provider number#1975-362) through NASW.
What makes this conference so unique?
Colin Ross, M.D. 2015 Trauma and Dissociation Plenary
Firstly, Ivory Garden has no personal agenda in hosting the conference.  The event is a fundraiser, the speakers and sponsors do not represent any one organization, and many points of view and paradigms are presented to a diverse audience: teachers, students, clinicians, therapists, nurses, doctors, supporters of abuse survivors, social workers, abuse survivors, and even the general public.  The term ‘perspectives’ creates the feel for the conference; many perspectives will be explored.
Secondly, the conference is professionally planned with seemingly every effort made to create a special weekend for all.  Conference planners take into account everyone’s needs, including offering food for those who can’t afford all of the expenses, providing entertainment in the evening, a warm venue, discounted rooms, and tables for sponsors at no expense to them.  Even the registration donation for three full days filled with activities, educational workshops, and plenaries is well below what similar conferences would cost.
Dr. Loewenstein and Kate White Entertainment 2015 Trauma and Dissociation Conference
Thirdly and most importantly is their belief that everyone can come together for one purpose: education.  They put this ideal into motion by pulling together clinicians, survivors, supporters, and other professionals for one unique weekend.  All interact on the same level – as peers.  Everyone benefits and understands that all are significant; whether a PhD or a housekeeper, all are welcome to attend the same workshops and lectures.  Within this environment where stigma, opinion, and prejudice is left outside the door, people feel free and open to acceptance and respect.  Survivors are empowered to learn from the best speakers in the world.  This does not happen at similar conferences that exclude survivors/clients from the very education that is most important to their healing and journey out of the past abuse that has affected their lives.

Interestingly, this nonprofit organization has spent a decade raising awareness of Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), a common effect of early childhood trauma, yet still controversial today.  Though some fifty of the attendees who attend are survivors of abuse and diagnosed with DID, they do not fit the notion of how people with DID should behave.  This is clearly an anomaly within the mental health community as well as validating to those survivors.  They are as able to learn, relate, and participate in PhD level workshops and presentations for three full days. Despite popular opinion, this demonstrates that survivors who have DID are as capable and intelligent as anyone else.  In fact, no one is designated by their status during the conference.  Unlike other conferences, no one knows who is who.  Attendees decide what to put on their name tags and most people who attend this conference choose to only display a first name.  This is clearly an intriguing event.   Since about 80% of the guests come from all over the world, they stay at the hotel throughout the weekend.  No telling who you might meet during this conference.
In keeping with the spirit, the controversy surrounding different types of abuse, including Satanic Ritual Abuse, human trafficking, and Mind Control, is ignored and discussed in workshops and plenaries openly and accepted as they are – one more type of childhood trauma.  All workshops and lectures are presented by experts in their field.
I highly recommend this conference.  It certainly is not simply about fulfilling your continuing education hours or meeting up with peers, but more about experiencing something that has been and remains a unique human experience.
UBH in Denton – Sponsor 2015 Trauma and Dissociation Conference
When asked what he thought of the first conference, one attendee, responded:
“Overall the conference was a success. The accommodations were fantastic for the price. I felt honored to hear all of the speakers and learned so much. The energy around the conference area and during presentation was amazing – supportive, accepting, and loving. I can’t wait to go next year.”
We asked a clinician her thoughts:
“This was such an honor to be a part of and I can’t believe I was able to go! The community aspect, the variety of sessions, etc. made this a fun experience and life-changing too.”
During the second conference, one survivor/clinician stated:
“Two years ago Ivory Gardens had their 1st Conference in Seattle, Washington.  I was so excited to meet the people who had shared so much with me.  I wasn’t sure what to expect from the conference being the first one and being a small non-profit.  I must tell you I was simply amazed!  The speakers were authors, doctors, clinicians, and survivors; folks that lecture all over the world!  Plus they went to all the trouble to get Continuing Education Units for nurses and clinicians.  Really top-notch conference!  The 2nd year was bigger than the first year with a live
Dr. Loewenstein and conference guest.
band in the evening, which was a lot of fun!  So many volunteers, doctors, nurses, and clinicians that were truly passionate about doing this very difficult work.  Family members, friends, and survivors are looking for ways to build knowledge and feel empowered to continue their journey with grace, it was truly awesome!  The volunteers had a spark in their eye and offered hope to those who were struggling.”
Regardless of where you live, if you have an interest in early childhood trauma, human trafficking, or child abuse today, don’t miss this unique chance to let your hair down and enjoy a weekend that you will not soon forget.
If you are interested in finding about more, visit 2016 Trauma and Dissociation Conference.
Ivory Garden Banner 2015 Trauma and Dissociation Conference

taken from http://dreamernews.org/unique-trauma-informed-care-conference/ - with permission

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Re: Unique Trauma-Informed Care Conference

Post by felicity on 7/9/2016, 3:59 pm

This is an amazing article. 

Please like and share the article - it is on the link a the bottom or you can click the share button at the top right of the article here.

Wow - I am so excited.  The hotel is nearly full and everything is going smoothly - I can't wait to do this again.  

Thanks to all of you have been helping out and who have volunteered to help at the conference - you are all amazing

And thank you for the support - this article, NAMI, SIDRAN, Ross Institute, Sheppard Pratt - and so many, many more - you are all the best!  

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 5/23/2017, 5:25 pm