Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

Human Trafficking: Souls for Sale - article

felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Human Trafficking: Souls for Sale - article

Post by felicity on 1/17/2017, 3:54 pm

Human Trafficking:  Souls for Sale

I am writing this article to honor all victims and survivors of human trafficking this "National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month", 2017.

Recently, and because advocates have been working to create public awareness, the term 'human trafficking' has become nearly a household term. But, how many people know the actual definition? Is the public aware that human traffic victims and survivors include nearly all abuse and trauma survivors? If you are a trauma survivor, do you know whether you are also a survivor of human trafficking? If you are a professional, are you aware of how human trafficking affects trauma survivors differently than if they were not exposed to human trafficking? Are you able to identify trafficked victims/survivors by their behavior?

Let's first take a look at the definition of 'human trafficking':

"The use of force, deception or coercion to exploit human beings as commodities. This exploitation is sometimes motivated by greed for money, and at other times it is motivated by greed of a different variety. A much more elaborate definition is given in international law, under what is known as the Palermo Protocol. What is conspicuous by its absence from the simple informal definition provided is any reference to movement. This is because trafficking does not mean movement. It means trade." (ɗค۷ٱɗ ɭѻɦคก, https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-human-trafficking-david-lohan?trk=hp-feed-article-title-share).

We can all agree that children who suffer abuse are affected throughout their life. One effect is their loss of a clear sense-of-self. Most grow up understanding that they do have value, but view themselves more as a commodity then a human being with an individual essence or 'soul'. Abusers steal this basic knowledge from their victims during abusive situations - regardless of the actual abuse. Victims learn that the abuser's motivation is what defines them as who they are in the world rather than each being special and significant as an individual.

Clearly, abusers do have motivation for hurting other people, especially children. They are always motivated by personal gain. I venture to say that most survivors of abuse are also victims of human trafficking. Understanding this concept may help many survivors, professionals, and supporters understand some of the behaviors and beliefs that victims and survivors exhibit.

For instance, I am a trauma survivor. Early in life, I learned that my value was in pleasing abusers. And, there were many abusers in my life. Each had different motives, but all used me to fulfill their needs - both financial and personal. My needs were only considered when I was compliant. If I didn't comply, I was punished, and the punishment was to deny my basic needs. I learned that my needs can only be met for a price.

Consequently, I became a 'people pleaser' knowing that I could get whatever I needed by being all that other people wanted or needed. I learned to adapt to everyone as well as my environment by changing myself to be what others expected of me - a coping skill that many abuse survivors in my position utilize, essentially hiding the fact that their sense-of-self was bought and sold by past abusers, their true self remains buried somewhere within their psyche.

Trauma survivors may recognize this lack of sense-of-self, but not realize that they are victims or survivors of human trafficking. Many remain victims throughout their life, believing that everything good comes with a price. I had not thought about this connection between human trafficking and childhood trauma until I heard Laura Brown, PhD speak about her new book, "Not the price of admission: Healthy relationships after childhood trauma" during the 2017 Trauma and Dissociation Conference. 
"Adult survivors know that being exploited, used, and sometimes abused in their connections with others feels like normal life, even if they have come to know that it’s wrong.

Not the price examines how these core beliefs were set in place, and then explores the ways in which survivors can learn how to stop paying prices. It’s my hope that it will shed light for survivors on what have felt like, but need not be, painful or futile efforts to have good-enough love and connection in their adult lives."
(http://www.drlaurabrown.com/written/not-the-price-of-admission-healthy-relationships-after-childhood-trauma/).

Upwards of 40 million survivors of sexual abuse have also endured human trafficking. Let's not forget whom the victims and survivors are and spend a moment to honor each this month.

Patricia Goodwin, MA
all rights reserved - copyright, 2017.  Do not copy or reproduce without permission from the author.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Re: Human Trafficking: Souls for Sale - article

Post by felicity on 4/13/2017, 12:52 pm

I am glad that Jerome Elam will be speaking at our conference - as well as planning a panel - I think that I might be on that panel.

What do you think about the article -

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 4/13/2017, 8:55 pm

i remember reading pieces of the book "Not the Price of Admission" during the conference last year and i am glad to hear the author is coming back. There are a lot of things we need to know about how to make healthy relationships happen, given the way we grew up.
i liked the article here. i may buy that book.

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, Easebeth, Petrea
Krathyn of We5:    we accept all intentions of support--

krathyn148@gmail.com
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 4/14/2017, 10:26 am

Oh, Laura Brown, PhD? What a fantastic speaker!! The commonsense and strength that she emanates brings a sort of understanding - I can't exactly put it into words, but I love listening to her.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 4/14/2017, 12:35 pm

looking forward to seeing her again!

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, Easebeth, Petrea