Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

Keywords

• Reply to topic

'Shock Event' - article shared from fb - politics -not triggering

felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

'Shock Event' - article shared from fb - politics -not triggering

Post by felicity on 1/31/2017, 3:42 pm

'Shock Event' - article shared from fb (BoyyM)  I am sharing this because it explains, better than I could, what is happening in politics today - very interesting article.  

From Heather Richardson, professor of History at Boston College:

Heather Richardson wrote:"I don't like to talk about politics on Facebook-- political history is my job, after all, and you are my friends-- but there is an important non-partisan point to make today.
What Bannon is doing, most dramatically with last night's ban on immigration from seven predominantly Muslim countries-- is creating what is known as a "shock event."
Such an event is unexpected and confusing and throws a society into chaos. People scramble to react to the event, usually along some fault line that those responsible for the event can widen by claiming that they alone know how to restore order.
When opponents speak out, the authors of the shock event call them enemies. As society reels and tempers run high, those responsible for the shock event perform a sleight of hand to achieve their real goal, a goal they know to be hugely unpopular, but from which everyone has been distracted as they fight over the initial event. There is no longer concerted opposition to the real goal; opposition divides along the partisan lines established by the shock event.
Last night's Executive Order has all the hallmarks of a shock event. It was not reviewed by any governmental agencies or lawyers before it was released, and counterterrorism experts insist they did not ask for it. People charged with enforcing it got no instructions about how to do so. Courts immediately have declared parts of it unconstitutional, but border police in some airports are refusing to stop enforcing it.
Predictably, chaos has followed and tempers are hot.
My point today is this: unless you are the person setting it up, it is in no one's interest to play the shock event game. It is designed explicitly to divide people who might otherwise come together so they cannot stand against something its authors think they won't like.
I don't know what Bannon is up to-- although I have some guesses-- but because I know Bannon's ideas well, I am positive that there is not a single person whom I consider a friend on either side of the aisle-- and my friends range pretty widely-- who will benefit from whatever it is.
If the shock event strategy works, though, many of you will blame each other, rather than Bannon, for the fallout. And the country will have been tricked into accepting their real goal.
But because shock events destabilize a society, they can also be used positively. We do not have to respond along old fault lines. We could just as easily reorganize into a different pattern that threatens the people who sparked the event.
A successful shock event depends on speed and chaos because it requires knee-jerk reactions so that people divide along established lines. This, for example, is how Confederate leaders railroaded the initial southern states out of the Union.
If people realize they are being played, though, they can reach across old lines and reorganize to challenge the leaders who are pulling the strings. This was Lincoln's strategy when he joined together Whigs, Democrats, Free-Soilers, anti-Nebraska voters, and nativists into the new Republican Party to stand against the Slave Power.
Five years before, such a coalition would have been unimaginable. Members of those groups agreed on very little other than that they wanted all Americans to have equal economic opportunity. Once they began to work together to promote a fair economic system, though, they found much common ground. They ended up rededicating the nation to a "government of the people, by the people, and for the people."
Confederate leaders and Lincoln both knew about the political potential of a shock event. As we are in the midst of one, it seems worth noting that Lincoln seemed to have the better idea about how to use it."
COPY AND PASTE. DON"T "SHARE"

Last edited by felicity on 1/31/2017, 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Re: 'Shock Event' - article shared from fb - politics -not triggering

Post by felicity on 1/31/2017, 3:53 pm

I love this article - what do you all think. To work together for the best of everyone is the only way -

"shock event."
Such an event is unexpected and confusing and throws a society into chaos. People scramble to react to the event, usually along some fault line that those responsible for the event can widen by claiming that they alone know how to restore order.
When opponents speak out, the authors of the shock event call them enemies. As society reels and tempers run high, those responsible for the shock event perform a sleight of hand to achieve their real goal, a goal they know to be hugely unpopular, but from which everyone has been distracted as they fight over the initial event. There is no longer concerted opposition to the real goal; opposition divides along the partisan lines established by the shock event.

This makes so much sense - have seen it happen - and, it does work every time - dividing people, creating hatred and dissension. I hear later (when they realize what happened), "I just got caught up in it all." Working together for a common goal stops the controlling person in their tracks.

What do you all think?

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 1/31/2017, 10:54 pm

i am still a bit shocked by the shock event.
refusing people from other countries, has the effect of making other countries hate us.
Iran will not accept Americans into their country: why?
this has to be the worst foreign policy i have ever seen in the US and we know there have been some bad ones.
I have a friend whose name is Abdul (where is "he" from?) he is gainfully employed, he is married and has kids, he went to high school and graduated here. i have heard of racial profiling, now we have religious profiling.
There is a lot of fear going on.

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, Easebeth, Petrea
Krathyn of We5:    we accept all intentions of support--

krathyn148@gmail.com
Morgan
Admin
Admin

Post by Morgan on 2/3/2017, 11:47 am

Wow! This totally makes a hell of a lot of sense! I can see what she is saying! I hope many people read this and try to understand. Morgan

I love my Family of Choice, IG
Administrator
Shirley J. Davis

felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 2/3/2017, 1:21 pm

Yes, I had to read it several times to really 'get' what she is saying.

I have a great respect for education - and, reading this is kind of like sitting in a class and learning about why and how people react to 'events' - whether 'real' or fictional - ('created' for effect).

There is actually a 'term' for this? - 'shock event' - interesting!

If people realize they are being played, though, they can reach across old lines and reorganize to challenge the leaders who are pulling the strings.

The problem that I see - thinking of smaller 'shock events' and how people react in everyday life - not politics - necessarily - is that people have a difficult time understanding 'whom' is pulling the strings - asking who they should trust.

A successful shock event depends on speed and chaos because it requires knee-jerk reactions so that people divide along established lines.

We have to ask whom 'created' the event - and, once we recognize that we are blaming each other for the fallout, we have been tricked into accepting the perpetrator's real goal - to turn people against each other - chaos - we can identify who perpetrated the event - come back together for the purpose of achieving common goals that do not divide people. When this happens, the perpetrator falls - unable to achieve their personal goal. It is not a question of loyalty at all. It is a question of being loyal to ourself - and, to move away from 'control' and into a new world of working together for a common goal - being loyal to a 'joint cause' rather than a person who pretends to be a 'leader'.

I think that people respond to these sort of events out of fear - and, fear, especially for survivors, triggers a need for protection - even if fantasy - it is a 'knee-jerk' reaction to turn on others in an effort to be on the 'right' side - following the 'right' person, etc.

So, we do see this sort of thing in everyday life - on every middle school playground, on the internet - everywhere.

Is understanding this important to everyone? YES

As this article tells about actual wars initiated because people reacted quickly and without thought that 'we' were causing the chaos - as the perpetrator perpetuates it all - enjoying watching us play into his/her plan.

I will not ever be a part of this sort of thing - though I did understand it all differently than she explains - she does give us the answer to stop it all before it gets out of hand. right? Did that make sense to you all?

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 2/3/2017, 6:27 pm

i try not to get into interactions that are not straightforward and that includes my politics/
i don't like to shock people or get shocked either.

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, Easebeth, Petrea
Krathyn of We5:    we accept all intentions of support--

krathyn148@gmail.com
Feychilde and all
Less than 100 posts
Less than 100 posts

Post by Feychilde and all on 2/9/2017, 7:29 pm

Yes, it makes complete sense to me and I am glad that you all are sharing about it here. Everything that has been going on has been very triggering for me.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 2/12/2017, 11:04 am

Hey - hi - good to see you -

I think that it is important too. ty.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 10/19/2017, 1:13 pm