Welcome to Ivory Garden DID Support Forum

Welcome Guests to Ivory Garden DID Support Forum

Come on in and take a look around.

Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Create your chat login

Please use your exact IG-DID membername so that the avatar loading will work correctly

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

Being a Discerning Reader

nanabanana
Less than 100 posts
Less than 100 posts

Being a Discerning Reader

Post by nanabanana on 4/27/2017, 11:45 am

I recently read an article written by someone with lived experience posted on LinkedIn.  I don't deem it relative to mention the author; I won't be quoting or borrowing intellectual product.  And though I thought about composing a critique (to post elsewhere), I realized what bothered me amounted to my own lack of discernment.  Allow me to explain.

The article centered on Self-Care with an adjuration to employ compassion.  Well I certainly agreed with that tenet!  But I overlooked an important caveat in the first sentence of the first paragraph that altered the premise being set forth: that what was to follow was true for mental illness of all forms.

I was distracted by ensuing statements I found myself agreeing with; admiring how well certain ideas were stated.  As I continued to read, I notice a disquieting effect begin to take root.  Could I agree with a conclusion if I was taking issue with the predicates for it?  What was happening?  Why was I experiencing such a strong aversion to the use of a specific noun or verb?

Then it hit me - the writer had said what was to follow was applicable to ALL mental illnesses.  This wasn't an article published in a journal.  But it was an author whose words and ideas had implicit authority.  Or had I simply assigned authority based on my own determination of what constitutes a certain level of knowledge?

Once again, I'm reminded that there is much that is written about mental illness - whether the topic is as bland as 'self-care' or as universal as the need to employ 'compassion' in seeing to self-care - that doesn't apply to those of us who live with the effects of employing dissociation as the main coping mechanism.

I was reminded, yet again and for the umpteenth time, of what I learned when I was first diagnosed with DID: never (underscore, never) give up the Driver's Seat.  Meaning never supplant another's' authority for my/our own!

I invite discussion and welcome comments.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Re: Being a Discerning Reader

Post by felicity on 4/27/2017, 4:16 pm

You can put the link to the article here - that works.

I know that articles are posted on the net all the time. It is the simple chore of writing an article and posting it. So, I have written several article and certainly don't expect ppl to take them to heart simply because I wrote them

I take everything that I read with a very small grain of salt. Sometimes, articles that I read cause me to think - that would be a well-written article. And, I have read some very questionable stuff on the net - written by some well-known ppl - doesn't mean that what they write is true - by any means. Some, I might agree with and some are simply bs - but still worth the time to see what others believe or come up with.

I watch people actually 'follow' ppl, because they wrote a book and/or write or share articles - totally giving them authority that most never did anything to warrant - but, live and learn - right. I know one person right now writing several 'articles' a day(more like crazy rants than articles) who has many followers - actually believing every word he writes.

Learning to discern who is worthy of authority is a skill that takes time. Just because someone writes something on the internet does not mean that it has any basis in truth - obviously.

I am glad that you take the time to critique these article - nice to do it with books also.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 4/27/2017, 8:58 pm

sometimes an article seems too broad or makes me somewhat uncomfortable and it may be time to post back diligently, and other times it may be time not to answer or to see what others say first.
"All" mental illness may not be alike, that is a pretty broad brush.
If something is true of "All mental illness" it may well be true of "all people."
it would be interesting to see the article.

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, Easebeth, Petrea
Krathyn of We5:    we accept all intentions of support--

krathyn148@gmail.com
Morgan
Admin
Admin

Post by Morgan Today at 7:40 am

Yes. To say that anything is for all is foolishness. Sometimes I use this phrase, I'm going to have to not do that. I didn't realize how disquieting this statement can be. One must always remember to read anything, especially on the web, with discernment and care. I never believe something I read just because someone said it. I always double check the facts and see for myself. That's the only sane way to behave. Morgan

I love my Family of Choice, IG
Administrator
Shirley J. Davis

nanabanana
Less than 100 posts
Less than 100 posts

Post by nanabanana Today at 3:34 pm

Seeing the recent post today, I thought I'd add this:  I wish I had posted the article I was referring to - so that other's could read it for themselves.  But since I was, in effect, using the article to chide myself for failing to be as discerning as I felt I should have been, I don't think it fair to post it now.  It would seem too critical to the author - who was doing a good job of making her point (the need for compassion/self-care).  It was the matter of being applicable to "all mental illnesses" that I felt was not supported/supportable.  Calling attention to the need for critical thinking when reading was my focus.

Would like to add that I thought the comments posted very thoughtful.  That's the kind of discourse I enjoy.  Reading other people's take on an issue enriches my experience of a topic.
nanabanana
Less than 100 posts
Less than 100 posts

Post by nanabanana Today at 3:43 pm

Seeing the recent post today, I thought I'd add this:  I wish I had posted the article I was referring to - so that other's could read it for themselves.  But since I was, in effect, using the article to chide myself for failing to be as discerning as I felt I should have been, I don't think it fair to post it now.  It would seem too critical to the author - who was making her point (compassion/self-care).  It was the matter of being applicable to "all mental illnesses" that was not supported.  Calling attention to the need for critical thinking when reading was my focus.

Would like to add that I thought the comments posted very thoughtful.  That's the kind of discourse I enjoy.  Reading other people's take on an issue enriches my experience of a topic.

Last edited by nanabanana on 5/23/2017, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : duplicated posting)
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 5/23/2017, 5:29 pm