Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

Ever wonder how alters are formed? Read this.

Morgan
Admin
Admin

Ever wonder how alters are formed? Read this.

Post by Morgan on 5/16/2017, 9:12 am

I wrote this article and posted it on social media and my blog. I'm going to post this here and in the forum about dissociative disorders.
Ego State Formation
Shirley J. Davis
Author's Note. I am not a professional, however I do have an inquisitive and intelligent mind. I looked all this information up on the internet in order to further my understanding of Dissociative Identity Disorder, which I live with on a daily basis. I've been curious for many years how the process of a child splintering his or her personality can be accomplished, and I believe I now understand. I've written all the information I have acquired in a simple format easily understood by laymen and clinicians alike. Please read it knowing that I am not a professional researcher, just a person trying very hard to not be a mystery herself.

All humans have ego states. We begin forming them before we are born and continue doing so until we die. As infants, we learn through our five senses about our world and file these newly formed impressions as ego states using the hippocampus, a part of the primitive brain or limbic system, to file them in context.

An example might be the sound of the timer on the microwave at our home going off in the morning which tells my nephew that his oatmeal is ready. My nephew’s hippocampus has used his senses to make a subconscious relation or ego state filing the sound of the microwave timer as related to something which tastes good.

As I have stated, throughout life, humans continue to form ego states. One may be how you behave at work, while another is how you behave with your best friends. These behaviors have similar references as to some behavior, but in others they are radically different.

As humans mature, they have ego states who are protective, angry, sexual, and a myriad of other states experienced by all people. Under healthy circumstances, these ego states communicate with one another forming a running narrative of the life of a person. There are no barriers, and the memories stored in each ego state are easily accessible to the others. We refer to this state of human personality as associated.  

When there is severe, repeated trauma, however, the hippocampus becomes overwhelmed and flooded with stress hormones. This region of the brain is very susceptible to damage from these substances, and if they are constantly being secreted without being allowed to go back to base levels, the hippocampus suffers severe damage. Now the infant is no longer able to file new experiences in context.

An example might be, my nephew hearing the timer on the microwave go off while experiencing a violent trauma. In his brain, the sound of the timer becomes associated with the trauma. The trauma is so emotionally and physically painful that consciously he doesn’t remember it. Afterwards, his amygdala and hippocampal regions of his brain perceive danger and ready his body for fight, flight, and fleeing when he hears the timer, even though there is no danger.

The damage done to the hippocampus and other regions of a severely traumatized child’s brain, is permanent. The ego states that have been formed to make sense of the world cannot communicate because of amnesiac barriers erected to protect the child from the overwhelming fear they experience during extreme trauma. Because of this lack of communication, the life of the child into adulthood cannot be a running narrative. The ego states I mentioned above, protector, angry, sexual, etc. are compartmentalized and when triggered unconsciously act on their own.

This personality state is deemed dissociative.

I love my Family of Choice, IG
Administrator
Shirley J. Davis

• Reply to topic

Current date/time is 8/23/2017, 10:20 am