Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

Safety on the Internet - CDA 230 - Owner/Host Responsibilty

felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Safety on the Internet - CDA 230 - Owner/Host Responsibilty

Post by felicity on 6/1/2017, 9:30 am

Understanding CDA 230 (47 U.S.C. § 230, a Provision of the Communication Decency Act), a law that 'protects' freedom of expression and innovation on the internet, as well as understanding how the internet works, becomes a vital part of safety on the internet.  https://www.eff.org/issues/cda230

I have spent some 15 years warning people of how to keep themselves safe while enjoying the internet.  

A few warnings have included:

1)  Never share personal information unless you have information that the people 'are' who they say they are.  This is difficult since anonymous accounts are allowed as well as this law that protects owners, hosts, etc. from having ANY liability or responsibility for what anyone posting or sending mail on websites or social media.  
2)  Do not meet someone in-real-life unless you really know that the person is who they say they are.
3)  Realize that those who use anonymous profiles do so for a reason - they don't 'want' anyone to be able to track who they are - meaning that they cannot either be held responsible for their activities on the internet.  

In 1996, when this law came about, I said to myself, "Give website owners and hosts the license do to whatever they please on the internet, and some will stretch it as far as they can until it breaks."

And, this seems to have happened.  Anonymous posting is the norm.  People, who frequent the internet, seem to accept that they can trust anyone - regardless that they have no idea whom is really posting or even who owns the websites/groups where they belong.  I would think that people would realize that they would never trust anyone in-real-life who used a fake name.  But, they don't seem to be able to put this together.  

On the internet, there is total freedom of speech, and especially when people are posting anonymously.  NO ONE is held responsible for what is said or done.  Realize this fully!!  According to this law, the owner/host cannot be held responsible and/or liable for what others' say or do  - and, the others are posting anonymously.  You, and you alone, can only take responsibility for your own safety and your own behavior.  

So, I do understand this and did try to warn others, but have stopped over the past couple of years.  I know that people so badly want to make friends.  I also understand that there are really great people on the internet.  I have also witnessed some really awful things that have happened because ppl have befriended the wrong folks while posting.  The control that 'owners' of groups can take with their members cause folks to follow them into real-life - and, from there, no one really knows what happened to these people.  And, it really doesn't matter.  Regardless of what happens, no one is ever held responsible.  

I watched this movie the other night, and it brought a clear understanding of how the internet can link with crime and because of this law, owners/hosts of internet sites are cleared of any wrong doing to the point of practicing human trafficking of children on their sites.  Now, we all know that this is not the norm.  

I believe that some are not aware of how far owners/hosts can go in doing whatever they please on their sites - and, how hopeless it will be for victims to do anything about what happens to them or their families.  

So, please - take the time to watch this film.  It does not have triggering scenes of child abuse, etc., but is mostly informational.  

Please, do comment - and, we can start a discussion.  This is a controversial topic.  Clearly, those who want to keep the internet 'free' will not agree.  I have taken responsibility as - the right thing to do - when running this forum.  I use my real name and do share my personal information, keep our forums and websites safe from folks who I know are dangerous, etc.  That is every site's owners choice.  Not all agree.

Okay, so here is the documentary trailer.  I found it on Netflix and Amazon - and, it is probably available elsewhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBVrFf08vM

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
Morgan
Admin
Admin

Re: Safety on the Internet - CDA 230 - Owner/Host Responsibilty

Post by Morgan on 6/1/2017, 12:06 pm

Frightening and sick. That is all that I can call these people who pray on innocents. It is very important to heed your advice Felicity. Never, under any circumstances believe someone is who they say they are unless you have proof. Even then, use extreme caution. The internet is a wonderful tool if utilized correctly. Watch your kids. They are vulnerable. I don't care how well trained or educated they are, they are easy pickings for trolls who only want to abuse and use them. It gives me chills to think of my little nephew getting online with one of these monsters. Morgan

I love my Family of Choice, IG
Administrator
Shirley J. Davis

krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 6/1/2017, 3:09 pm

being in charge of some boards under two servers i try to be careful who i let in. Do they use pseudonyms? yes, but they have things to express they do not want to keep public-bipolar disorder and DID or that they are spouse of a person with DID. what they post is often painfully honest.
most of the posters are adults, and conduct themselves as such. Sometimes though they may be old enough to be adults but they may not conduct themselves as adults.
Horrible things have been known to happen and so it can be important to find out the actual names and sometimes addresses who the people are.
There are even reasons to charge money to make it obvious who the people are.
it can put an owner or host in a bind while trying to keeping everyone safe.

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, Easebeth, Petrea
Krathyn of We5:    we accept all intentions of support--

krathyn148@gmail.com
Fildragon
Fildragon
Fildragon

Post by Fildragon on 6/1/2017, 9:33 pm

On internet, I think internet is a mirror of true society. What goes on on internet goes on everywhere because internet is simply put people. It is also a lot like the real world: it has its temples, it has its universities, it has is support groups, but it also has its hovels and gettos. It has scammers and people out to profit. And unfortunately where in real life one can truly see where one is walking, on the internet it is all too easy to make a site that portrays "goodness" but is a trap even to lure innocent children into the most sickmaking things.

One needs to be careful. My approach to internet is often to imagine I am riding through one of the more dangerous neighbourhoods of South Africa while surfing, while examining new sites and people. By doing this I am wary, on my guard.

Another note: be careful with what you put in mail. What goes on internet, stays on internet and email is one place that can get hacked. I have been concerned as of late with my mails to psychiatrists and t. I put some deep personal stuff in those mails and would hate some hacker to get their hands on it.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 6/2/2017, 9:22 am

I just visited the site - backpage.com - nothing seems to stop these people from allowing these types of ads on their site. And, understandably - human trafficking is becoming the fastest growing business world-wide. If you can imagine - starting a website and simply sitting back (at home in a chair) and watching the money roll in - knowing that there is no need to hire moderators or even give a care what is posted. In fact, it is better for owners and hosts to 'not' be aware - since they cannot be held liable for the affects of what is posted by third parties. And, the more that policies/terms of service limit what posters can and can't post puts a huge damper on 'business'. Sites/groups/hosts learn quickly that the more they 'limit' members 'freedom of speech', the more often members will leave to go where they are free to do as they please. And, in order to continue doing as they please, they bash/torment/threaten whomever is trying to keep safety alive on the internet.

Few even want to really take a look at these facts and trends. Few realize that sites like even facebook are are not responsible and cannot be held liable for what is posted on their site - there is no need for moderation. And, people do post anonymously - even though their tos clearly states that is not allowed. But, there is no reason to enforce - since, again - regardless of the tos - the company is not liable for anything posted by third-parties - according to the law. This is true within every site and host. So, if human trafficking (or any illegal activity) is happening on a site - the company/owner/host CANNOT be held responsible or liable. Who can be held responsible - NO ONE -

So, if you go to say a support site - or even to facebook or other social media - and you are befriended by someone who is looking for an easy target - and, you meet them for coffee and find yourself kidnapped - if you ever get free, you can not hold that site or even its members liable for the crime - unless, of course, you know their true information - which they will never give you.

I agree that this is sort of like being 'street-smart' and also 'internet savvy' - which I contend that 99% of the people on the net and/or in-real-life are not. I don't think that people can actually comprehend what is happening - or possibly, they are in denial that it does happen so often.

Imagine that someone sees the benefit of how much money they can make trafficking children. They simply kidnap them out of shopping malls, lure them through the net, etc. They keep them somewhere and advertise them on the web. No one ever sees these criminals or is able to track them - because they use anonymous names and proxies to advertise and make their money. They don't even need to leave their house. This is just to show how simple it is to misuse the internet. And, there is a huge market for 'human merchandise'. Once a victim realizes what happened - it is too late, and there is no recourse.

In my experience, most people seem to be willing to take the chance that all who are running sites and groups are doing so with the best interest of their members. And, the more persuasive members of groups become, the more other members are to trust them. And, the more the site grows the less apt owners are to enforce safety rules - for fear of their site becoming inactive. Most who participate in groups and social media are not even aware that laws, that are enforceable in-real-life are being broken all the time on the web.

It is illegal, for instance, to practice therapy without a license - but, it happens all the time on the internet. There is a reason for this law - so that the therapy is done by professionals - . If therapy is provided by a third party, there is no recourse for the member if things go awry - which they do all of the time. This is a simple example.

Without a clear understanding of what is happening and how it happens, it is clearly impossible to remain safe. Once people take some time to understand how both real-life and internet work together, they can take precautions to remain safe.

It is possible to utilize the law to keep yourself safe. The practice of remaining anonymous works both ways - it is a good practice until you meet someone in real-life or give your personal information to an unknown person. If you are actively participating in a group or on a site where there is illegal activity - including slandering others, bashing, bullying, etc. then, you are contributing to misuse of the internet that often leads to horrible situations - including human trafficking. Give people the license to offend .........

Most owners/admins don't even know that they are not liable or responsible for third-party posts - some do - but most, not. They find out by pushing the limits and never getting in trouble - a recipe for disaster.

If you are reading this then, YOU ARE a part of the world wide web. You are responsible for what goes on - not a mere observer. Every post made by anyone is setting the 'culture' of the internet. We allow anything to go on the internet, and well..... anything can happen without any limits to what people will 'sell'. The overall internet is a huge business for anyone - and, it's consumers are us. Buying a book on Amazon becomes no different than purchasing a child or believing slander, gossip, and lies - ruining people without thought. Someone is 'selling' and others are 'buying'.

We certainly can't just make this law disappear, but as consumers, it is time that we do set limits and how and what we will 'buy' whether it be with money or our self-dignity and knowledge of right from wrong. Remember that you are not controlled by owners/hosts of sites - their rules mean nothing - they are not responsible or liable for what happens within their sites. You must learn to think for yourself and make choices based on 'real' information and research - not what you hear or come to believe. The only recourse is that you run into people who are 'real' and care enough to run their sites ethically. How you know which are 'good', 'safe' sites is not what 'you hear' - you will not hear if someone happens to die or gets kidnapped, etc. If something happens within the site, those members just kind of disappear. The only way that you can 'know' is by researching. Is there a 'real' owner - using their real name? Who is this person? What is their credentials? You should easily and quickly be able to find this information. If not, RUN - something is amiss.

Don't freak out and run from the internet to safety. The internet can be a truly safe and wonderful place to meet people - when you do so with open eyes.

Never be afraid to contact owners/admins of sites and groups. Talk to them - are they willing to give their 'real-life' information? If not - run, again. You do not need to stay somewhere that is not safe - just because your 'friends' are there. Recognize when you have become 'addicted' to a site or group - this is a clear warning sign that you are in trouble.

So now, I am going back to try to warn - I apologize. Many years ago, I decided to move out of this 'corrupted' system. I decided to use my real name, make my personal information and myself accessible just like I do in-real-life. I do not frequent unsafe groups, websites, blogs, or social media. I have never been 'safer' than now. I don't recommend that for everyone.

Safe browsing -

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
islandgirl
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by islandgirl on 6/2/2017, 12:27 pm

Oh my, yes, I agree, "Think for yourself". I never thought of trafficking?That's horrible. I would be afraid of my children being on the Internet. I'm glad they're grown, but what about people that work and leave their children at home? Is there a way for the parents to disable or block things, so their children don't become deceived? I wonder if there aren't some very powerful rich people at the top of all of that?
I don't like facebook. I have an account but don't participate. I did for awhile on individual sites regarding my faith, but when I found out that eventually, way more people would see me, I disabled the account. Not that I have anything to hide, I just don't want to be targeted.

krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 6/2/2017, 9:34 pm

many good thoughts to pursue.

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, Easebeth, Petrea
Krathyn of We5:    we accept all intentions of support--

krathyn148@gmail.com
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 6/3/2017, 9:40 am

It is more that parent need to also be more aware of their children being out at malls and such by themselves - and/or teaching people to be safe in-real-life. That means that people need to be more aware of trafficking irl AND how the internet is used to sell and abduct people. The business of trafficking is growing so quickly, because the population they can access is so huge, and there is little consequences for criminal activity on the internet.

Our world and the way we know it is changing so very quickly, everyone should be aware. And, the general population seems to be totally unaware of what is happening. I had heard of backpage.com, and knew the problem, but until I watched this documentary - I had only thought about how easy it was for anyone to exploit people through internet. I was only aware of the possibilities - not that it was already happening and to what extent. I mean, no one really 'advertises' their criminal activities to the public - they seem very well hidden, accept for advocates who have worked very hard to get the info out. The internet has always been an open avenue for criminal activity - and, now the best way for anyone to profit - regardless of the business activity. And, companies are profiting - billions of dollars being exchanged. And, to think that the sites are protected by a law that states they are not responsible or liable for 3rd party posting. That is totally scary - when you realize what is happening. I see posts on fb where people are threatening to turn ppl in to fb - really? FB CANNOT be held responsible for your well-being there - FB could never afford to hire moderators - without this law, they would be responsible - and, I can only imagine how many lawsuits they would face.

My largest fear is that 'most' sites and groups are actually run by perpetrators - anonymous - of course. They draw victims in and influence them, etc. It doesn't take too much imagination to realize how this scenario could play out. Remember that this law was put into effect in 1996 - during the time when so many have complained that someone 'do' something - no one can help when things happen - regardless of whether someone disappeared or was killed - no one can be held liable if it happened through a site. The only way is to discover 'who' the person who committed the crime was, which never happens, irl - if the person is anonymous - then, you can get police involved - irl only.

Getting rid of this law is not the answer - imo only. Knowing the internet and how it works as well as I do, I think that being aware - all of us - and, public awareness is the answer.

For instance, I was at Costco with a friend. We sat down to have a bite. A small boy was sitting there by himself. There were others around talking to him. My friend and I sat with him until his father joined us, and the boy was safe. This is something that we can all do. Keep our eyes open. Right?

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 6/26/2017, 8:22 am