Ivory Garden Dissociative Identity Disorder Group
is a private community.

Please Apply.

Visit site

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

Our Goal

OUR GOAL

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 post per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

• Reply to topic

Seattle Conference 2017

nanabanana
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Seattle Conference 2017

Post by nanabanana on 10/24/2017, 11:47 am

I've been home from Seattle since Sunday evening and have just now felt like I could organize my thoughts about my experiences at the Conference.

First, let me say to Felicity & all her Helpers, "Thank You" for all your hard work in preparing for this event.  The Speakers and topics were varied and informative on many subjects; the Exhibitors were an added source of information and exposure to things I don't often get to investigate; and the participants were a joy to talk with, share insights & personal accounts.  A Resounding Success!

I want to consult my notes & the various handouts from the talks I attended before posting those takeaways, but for now, I hope that starting this thread will encourage others who attended to share their thoughts/experiences.

I want to add that I hope Krathryn is feeling better; I was sorry to hear that I wouldn't have the chance to actually meet you.  

Happy Trails to Everyone...safely back at home!

bluedreamwoman
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

Re: Seattle Conference 2017

Post by bluedreamwoman on 10/24/2017, 9:53 pm

Thank you for starting this thread. I would love to have a continuing "conversation" about the conference. I got home Sunday mid-afternoon, and I am taking at least two days to rest and recover, since I got physically exhausted. I had a telephone therapy session today, as part of taking a rest day. We spent the 45 minute session talking about things I got out of the conference.

I LOVED the conference, and am already looking forward to the next. It was wonderful to be in a place where almost everyone knew and had an understanding of DID, a place where we shared both language and experience. Where so many therapists and survivors knew about journeys in healing from trauma. I definitely felt that at the conference, I was with my tribe.

Nanabanana, I think we talked at the conference, but I am trying to remember who you were. If you remember connecting with me, could you help me remember you?'

I am so so grateful to Felicity for working so hard to create this conference. And so grateful to the helpers who worked so hard and did so much to make the conference such a lovely experience.

Bdw & bdkids

krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 10/25/2017, 7:59 am

i am so glad the conference went well,,and looking forward to next years since i did not make it this time.

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, Easebeth, Petrea
Krathyn of We5:    we accept all intentions of support--

krathyn148@gmail.com
bluedreamwoman
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

Post by bluedreamwoman on 10/25/2017, 1:45 pm

Krathyn, we thought about you and missed you at the conference! I sincerely hope we both will be able to be there next year.... I want to meet you in person!

Bdw & Bdkids
Fighting2Thrive
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Fighting2Thrive on 10/25/2017, 6:23 pm

This was my very first conference and the first time I ventured away from home by myself in a really looong time. Like 30+ years long.
I, too, felt like I was in my element at the conference. First of all, the day I got there, I kind of accidentally met Felicity. I was outside, kind of taking in SeaTac and she came out at the same time. We started talking. She welcomed me and introduced me to several others who were enjoying coffee and lunch. I felt right at home!
The whole conference was validating to me. I don’t talk to many people about DID. Overall, until this conference, there are a total of 6-7 people who know about my DID. Mostly my two therapists and my family and maybe one or two others.
It was liberating to be able to discuss it openly and be understood, Comparing notes so to speak.
Some of the topics were more clinical than others. But of all the plenaries and workshops I went to, I really glot a lot out of them. I met a few people that I seemed to click with, immediately. I walked away with a better understanding of my insiders and me as the host. I walked away with some new friends and a great experience.
I was amazed at all that was going on and how Felicity seemed to be everywhere at once, patiently dealing with hiccups as they emerged. All of the volunteers were amazing, too!
Krathyn, I really wanted to meet you and was sad to learn that you couldn’t be there. I do hope that your recovery is going well. Maybe next year, right? You take good care of yous.
Thrive
Dymond
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Dymond on 10/27/2017, 6:12 pm

My wish is that NEXT year I manage to participate.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 10/29/2017, 9:21 pm

Well - hello - I loved meeting everyone.

I am just now recovering with some 100 plus emails to answer and still lots of work to do winding it all up.

I just found out the krathyn is back in the h with complications - I hope that she is recovering well.

The conference seems to have been a huge success with everyone out there.

I am so happy that are hard work has helped so many.

I did love the auction - fun, fun. The helpers tried to sell the lip gloss from my purse. I think that they would have auctioned me off had they gotten a chance - (kidding)

I always miss everyone when it is over - and, that is the same now - wish we all lived closer and could have like monthly get-togethers.

Yes, let's talk about it more as I recover to remember everything that happened.

You all do rock!!

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
bluedreamwoman
5,000+ Posts
5,000+ Posts

Post by bluedreamwoman on 10/30/2017, 11:49 am

Felicity,

I love the idea of monthly get-togethers! Might we meet online?

Bdw & Bdkids
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 10/30/2017, 7:18 pm

Aww, shoot - we can meet online weekly !!

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 11/10/2017, 8:26 pm

i was discharged from hospital for the second time on Halloween. It was wonderful to hear how well the conference went.
I do hope to be around for a next year's conference and meet everyone, i am sorry i did not get to meet you, Thrive, Bluedreamwoman, Nanabanana. We are planning a mini conference in Anchorage on May 5, and I have every intention of being there.
Every conference Felicity organizes gets better than the last, so I know the next one will be super.
Thank you for have thinking of me, everyone who did.

wishing you well-

krathyn148@gmail.com
nanabanana
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by nanabanana on 11/12/2017, 7:10 am

I missed not getting to meet you, too Krathryn!  I was sorry to hear you were unwell then...and now I read you've had a second hospitalization.  That is an exhausting run, I know.  Whatever the need to be in, it is also where one is not...which is at home...attending to the life in progress there.  Like a garden that needs tending, being away from home is its own downside.  I wish you a speedy return...and hope there is some silver lining at hand coming out of this difficult time.

Reading your post (above) about a mini-conference in May, in Anchorage gives me an opening to ask you about the proper place to post a sensitive subject that wasn't covered (as far as I know) at the recent Seattle conference: what happens when a 'dissociative' commits a felony.  I'll use that term, 'dissociative' to convey that there was need, created by enduring early life trauma caused by the bad behavior of others, to employ dissociation in order to cope.  

I would like to discuss this somewhere here at IG...but not sure where to post such.

As you have helped me before, I'm wondering if you could advise me again.  Whenever it's convenient.  It's something I'd like to talk about.  But even more than sharing a story about being sent to prison (the offense itself, the view by the court system, how the prison system is not set up for mental health issues and has become the largest institutional MH setting in the US), I'd like to begin a discussion about what impact a felony record has for someone already dealing with the weight of misunderstandings in society due to a psychiatric label.  I'd like to use my experience (over a decade past) to begin a discussion about Lessons Learned for both.

And because there is overlap involved in having a felony record & having a psychiatric label -  in the form of bias and prejudicial paradigms that play out in the various systems that handle medical/housing/employment/schooling - I'd like to label the topic "Systemic Hurdles to Functioning at Our Best" - with whatever subtopic you think will be inclusive of being denied various services due to carrying a psychiatric label and/or having a felony record.  

I'm thinking you are aware of the parameters that could be set so that the discussion is clarified and can proceed with the intent of developing a set of Best Practices, if you will, for handling such life challenges.

I'll await your response and be guided by your thoughts (as well as that of other staff).
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 11/13/2017, 8:20 am

I believe that Steve Frankel brought this up a bit in his presentation. I have had other attendees ask similar questions.

I think it would be best in the 'Therapy, Support, and Personal Relationships'.

I think that it is a wonderful topic for folks to discuss - though, I think most would discuss it as 'hypothetical' to protect their privacy - and, rightly so.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 11/13/2017, 6:50 pm

unfortunately i believe the tendency is to count the actions of the alter as the actions of the whole, perhaps we will address that in a thread elsewhere too.
we are little understood in this area, and it is a good topic to bring up
Hopefully conferences such as this one will assist more people to understand tthe ramifications of what can happen.
I am making rapid progress now with feeling better and having some ability to hang on and go places again physically - have gone to church and have sat through an eye exam for example.

wishing you well-

krathyn148@gmail.com
LiLOlMe
Less than 100 posts
Less than 100 posts

Post by LiLOlMe on 11/17/2017, 7:52 pm

Good Evening!!! This is a great thread/conversation and one I hope others who attended will be able to add more to the dialogue.

I will start with saying this was my first Ivory Garden Conference but not my first conference in general. So my experiences might have been completely different if it was my “first”. I’ve also been on the board of directors for non profit that supported ‘moms’ of kids with traumatic backgrounds/adopted and bio. We hosted weekend retreats and it truly was a learning/growing experience. I am also in a DID Support Group run by my T and another T. These experiences have been life changing.

I was very up/down about coming. Financially I just wasnt sure that I could swing it. However, I wanted to take the opportunity to visit my grandparents and so it just made sense. I arrived in Seattle few days early, traveled to see them and then came back for the conference. My visit w/them was VERY stressful and so by the time I got back to Seattle/met up w/my T at the airport and then came to the hotel I was very much on edge.

I am thankful that I met Fighting2Thrive right away!! We hit it off and it was good to have someone to connect with throughout the weekend!!! We were able to exchange phone numbers and have had a little contact since returning back home. I think THIS itself is the most important part of the conference. Making connections is the single most important thing in my opinion.....not feeling so alone. I also met up with someone else that I met prior to the conference. Actually...I met 2 other people that were there I met somewhere else.

Every time I attend something like this I take away something different. My main reason for coming to this conference was to learn more about Psychiatric Service Dog Owner Training. There were other topics of interest. However, when I saw that topic I was sold. It was wonderful topic and while I know that Donovan may not have wanted to speak longer....I believe there is a WEALTH of information there and it was truly something that I really enjoyed.

For me.....I get more from workshops that are given by survivors. For me they “get it”. If they happen to be professionals even better. The workshops by professionals can be sometimes be more geared toward their colleagues and not the survivor. That is the interesting and VERY HARD aspect of mixing the two. But it is so rewarding at the same time.

But at the end of the day....I found what I took away was not feeling so alone. It was really all about connection this time. I walk away each time w/something new learned.

Every time you do it...it will get better and better. Practice makes perfect. I thought it was a great conference and I will likely attend again next fall.

I LOVE the location and how you can literally walk across the street....I WISH I KNEW THAT prior to sitting at the airport for 3-4 hrs. LOL.

I have some other thoughts but cant seem to articulate them right now and I really feel like I’m rambling. I hate reading long things and that includes my own. :)

felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 11/18/2017, 12:26 pm

We are planning one for May - which I think that I mentioned.

This will by our 6th conference that we have 'hosted'. This forum is having its 11th anniversary this month - pretty cool - yeah?

So, we have been around for over a decade. We know well how all similar conferences operate - and, we (me) have been to many also - both 'clinician' based and 'survivor'. We listen to everyone and ask - "what do you want from a conference"? Of course, everyone wants something different based on their personal needs and opinions. We do our best to accommodate everyone's needs - to stay away from seeming 'exclusive' to any group - to realize that everyone is different.

What we have learned from thousands of folks:

Survivors don't like to be excluded from 'professional conferences' - but, they are. Survivors are also very often professional folks. They are caught between being a professional as well as being a survivor. Sharing this fact with clients is not an option - ethically. They just want to go to a conference where they are not judged either way, where they can meet people - regardless.

That said, most of our speakers are also survivors. They don't advertise that fact, and we hope that attendees will not judge them either way.

Clinicians who are not survivors - treat survivors. They want education on how to better treat them - because of their compassion, etc. They are also often advocates for survivors.

That said, our purpose as a nonprofit is to provide education and awareness for EVERYONE interested in learning how trauma affects folks - as well as providing supportive environments for everyone. That has been our purpose for well over a decade. And, this done with respect and inclusion of everyone.

With that idea in hand, we can understand why few people 'met each other' or take away lots of friends with similar experiences. If we look for only folks who 'fit into' each of our ideas of 'survivors', we never get to meet all the amazing folks who 'don't fit' to our idea - right?

So, there were approximately 100 survivors at the conference and some 90 clinicians (who I am aware were also survivors). Most of our speakers are also survivors. How many have DID? I have no idea - I don't ask. Not my business. About 55 attendees are members of this forum. We don't ask that any identify themselves.

So, we did sell out with about 230 attending.

When asked what ppl want in a conference:

Most of the attendees want to learn more about how trauma affects them/others, but also want to meet ppl.

They would like:

about 75% education - and 25% social.
professional speakers - research based information
professional books and speaker-availability
fun workshops - about 10%
10% 'survivor stories' - professionally presented
Affordable - for everyone.

This is overall - some survivors don't want therapists there - and some clinicians don't want survivors there - so there are other conferences to accommodate those needs that are clearly exclusive.

One can think and realize that clinicians have no need in hearing 'survivor stories' - they hear them day in and day out - right? And, some survivors don't need to hear them either - they have their own to tell. So, why would they travel anywhere to hear more?

Everyone wants to meet other folks - but, most not on terms of them passing a 'survival-criteria' or 'professional-criteria'.

The more you attend IG conference, the more you begin to understand that these conferences are literally 'planned' to be just as you experienced and purposefully different than any other that may seem similar. And, this happens because our Board of Directors is not made up of 'survivors', but people from all different walks of life - and, professional as well, but all with a drive to educate, provide support, and accommodate ALL who are interested in how trauma effects folks.

You cannot 'compare' IG hosted conferences with any other. Just saying. Because, our purpose is different from other conferences and nonprofit organizations.

The topic of trauma is huge with all different aspects - and all sorts of people involved.

For instance, I for one, am a survivors of severe abuse, but I am also a professional who has worked with traumatized children (in education) and clients (as a social worker) for decades. I am not as interested in hearing survivor stories as I am interested in hearing experts on the subject. I want to know the latest research and how to best help others recover and deal with and treat trauma survivors. I totally understand survivors ideas that they have all the answers - I have my own experiences and answers/opinions, but as I have learned - I certainly can learn more about myself and others from experts in the field - including the struggles that professionals experience in their practice.

I spent years trying to 'find' myself - at first, putting myself out there as a survivor - and, later as a professional. It is difficult to do both - as I will attest. But, important to be careful of excluding people based on our personal experience. All who are contending with 'trauma' should be able to find a place where everyone's needs are explored and met. And, that's what we attempt to do at the conferences.

And, so you will find all sorts of people attending - and, I do love meeting everyone - from all over the world with one interest - how trauma affects folks - period. And, everyone can find respect as credible and worthwhile.

So, you can find a variety of experiences at our conferences and no IG-driven agenda. I don't speak and none of our board directors do either. We find folks who are actual 'experts' in the field. And, those experts do volunteer, because they have a similar purpose as ours'. We don't 'make money' or attempt to 'exploit' survivors for our benefit - financial or otherwise. In fact, we never have made a profit, but barely break even financially - go figure. We provide services for the purpose of educating, bringing awareness, and providing support - just like our purpose states.

We have thought about doing an event for survivors only - problem being that does not fit within our 'purpose' - in fact, it goes against it. The same thing with trying to do one for clinicians only. Right? Doing something like that would mean that we 'are' like other similar conferences.

But, like you said, these conferences have been very successful - every year, they are getting better - this last one, an overwhelming successful. We also bring tons of professional background in planning events, etc. I

And, I am fairly certain that we will not be repeating it - at least not as we have in the past. We will let you know.

I am glad that everyone did enjoy it - again.

As I have stated - it is impossible to 'compare' IG conferences to others by simply being an attendee - for reasons stated above. There is so much that goes into planning - But, we do consider everyone's input.

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
LiLOlMe
Less than 100 posts
Less than 100 posts

Post by LiLOlMe on 11/18/2017, 12:53 pm

Sooo much goes into it every step of planning.

Last weekend retreat we planned we had 5-6 different locations. Our theme was self care and when the weekend was over I realized that ‘I’ was not doing myself self care by the amount of stress that went into it. There was a big take away for me bc I struggle with being able to remember I deserve it. Yet, I miss them so much.

The one thing I love is idea of mixing both worlds - survivor and professional.

I would love to make it in May. Just not sure I can swing that. But I will definitely be talking to my husband and see how that will work for us.

After I posted last I was thinking about another thing that I really loved...the small intimate nature of the conference. It wasn’t overwhelming in idea of there were too many people. It was just right for me.

Thanks again for all the hard work that goes on. I know it’s truly a huge undertaking.

krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 11/20/2017, 6:54 pm

some of the things presented at conferences are different and more detailed than what can be written in a forum
I am a major fan of forums and the interactions we can have but i can learn more at some conferences that are not so constricted.

wishing you well-

krathyn148@gmail.com
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 11/21/2017, 11:37 am

We are going through a lot to plan for May.

I am hoping that it will be much more affordable for everyone.

The venue is much different. It will be held at the 'Center' in Anchorage - a community center - nonprofit - facility. It is a beautiful facility with lots of room. We also rented the kitchen area - and, there is no problem with providing snacks, lunches, etc. for everyone. That should be real plus for affordability. The venue is comfortable and friendly. I think that everyone will really enjoy it. You can find it online.

We are also looking at different hotel options and have found different locations at a variety of prices - from about $60.00 a night (with continental breakfast). And, we are making sure that they provide transportation from airport and to the conference.

This said, the expense will be dramatically less for us - and thus, the registration less for everyone.

We have decided to also book the venue for Friday the 4th of May, because of the interest and time to give all of the presenters plenty of time.

We are looking for speakers to present on human trafficking and how early childhood trauma affects victims, etc. - particularly from the Anchorage area. The speakers that we have now are - Colin Ross, Joshua Moore, Kate White, and Jerome Elam.

Also, we have checked airfare, and it seems not any more expensive than to Seattle. And, Seattle is very expensive compared to eating or shopping in Anchorage.

I will be going there for 2 weeks in Dec to continue planning for it all. I go to Anchorage generally twice a year every year. I do love Anchorage - it is a wonderful and friendly city. In May, it should be good weather and light out until about 11:00 p.m.

I am getting very excited about this conference. There is still a lot of planning to do to ensure that we provide for everyone.

I agree - it is stressful planning and such. But, having the 'hotel' contract out of the way should make it much more fun for me. (For those unaware, when we contract with a hotel, we are on the line for literally thousands of dollars - about $40,000 this last year).

We have no idea how many people will be attending right now - so, we don't have a budget yet.

I am glad that you enjoyed it. I am hoping that we can do more conferences in different areas in the future. This is our first try doing one in Anchorage. I love them - and, love seeing and meeting everyone.

As usual, anyone interested in learning more about trauma will be invited. We will also have CEU's available. I know that, for us, the hotel expense was the largest expense. The hotel that we are looking at does not have a restriction for extra ppl in a room - so, two people would be $30.00 a night - nice!!

Anyhow, back to planning. And, I do so appreciate those helping out - and, those planning to attend, and speak/support - sponsor -

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA

felicity4us2@gmail.com
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 11/24/2017, 4:15 pm