Welcome

IGDID LIVING TOGETHER WITH DISSOCIATION: A Friendly, Healing Community

I forgot my password

Welcome to IGDID

OUR GOAL:

To provide a unique environment where folks who have experienced trauma can openly and safely talk. We strive to respect, validate, and learn from each other.

ACHIEVING OUR GOAL

Achieving our goal requires cooperative collaboration amongst members and staff. Members posts remain appropriate and relevant to topics. Terms of Service are clearly posted to help members maintain the dignity of the board. Members of this group are at a stage in their healing to independently regulate their own behavior, as well as keeping themselves safe while on the forums. Staff regularly monitor posts and replies to ensure the board remains a safe and comfortable environment of learning for everyone.

As a friendly and kind community, we validate each other as equally special and significant.

These forums are active and the community not too large or too small - about 400 posts per day. There are many forums on different topics. The topics range in subject matter also. You are welcome to interact as you feel comfortable.

This is a safe place for members. We encourage building coping skills, learning from each other and material shared. We discourage sharing explicit memories of past abuse. We feel that processing memories be done with professionals. There are no practicing therapists on these forums. Therefore, topics that call for therapist type responses are discouraged.

Feel free to look around. Realize that, as a guest, your view of the forums is minimal. These forums are otherwise private to the public view and/or search engines.

We have literally hundreds of articles and provide workshops for everyone. Please feel free to email me anytime with questions. I am also providing a tutorial that should help with navigating our site.

The very best to you,
Felicity Lee
"owner"
felicity4us2@gmail.com

Staff Contacts

Administrators

Felicity
Owner

Krathyn
Executive Administrator

<>

Moderators

I,Barbara

jaded_labyrinth

OneTinyStep

Search Entire Site

Community Updates

• Reply to topic

Would like your input please

manysunshine
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Would like your input please

Post by manysunshine on 3/28/2018, 6:13 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to get the crisis line in the county I live in and the MH police to understand how to work with people with DID when they call the crisis line, or if the MH police come out to their home. I know the things I think would be helpful to me --- I've only had to deal with the crisis line a few times and the police one time because the crisis line did not understand the circumstances and DID. So, I'd like anyone -- which is why I am posting this in the open forum section for things they think would help them understand how to work with us. I'm going to try to make a presentation for both these entities.
Examples that I think would be beneficial are:
Sometimes, we say we and we do not like having to explain what "we" means and that may cause an angry teen to come out and say some not so nice things. Also, sometimes, when we are in crisis, the littles are the ones who call to get help, so although we are a much older body, they are speaking to a part who may not understand terms or questions the body's age might understand. Also, our memory is not great and time is basically non existent, so, if asked "when" something happened or any time type questions, we will probably not be able to answer but if pressed, will just make up a time to please the person asking. Another is that if a little calls, we are probably safe enough for no one to come out to our place, it means the littles just need guidance in what to do.
We are hoping you all might have more suggestions. Please respond if you do. We'd like to start this project soon, and have the name of the contact person to speak with to ask if we can give the presentation, so once we know we are on track with that, we will be making the presentation. The MH police here are one of few MH police anywhere and other counties and states are asking them to train them, so we'd like to get this going prior to them going out and teaching. Thank you so much for reading this and hopefully giving input.
Dymond
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Would like your input please

Post by Dymond on 3/28/2018, 7:16 pm

What a great project!
I've never had a situation where I have had to call a crisis line.
I am at a loss for ideas, truly.
But..gonna attempt it.
1. Education of MH Police of WHAT DID is, WHAT the causes are, and how it presents.
2. Having MH Police trained to help someone ground who is in crisis (something as simple as breathing)
3. Asking how old are you?
oh gosh...
I think this is hard because I would never want a police officer to know my condition!
Wow... I will give this more thought.
manysunshine
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by manysunshine on 3/28/2018, 8:17 pm

Great, thank you! Yeah we’re afraid of cops and when they showed up it was scary thank you very much for your input we really hope this can help us all
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 3/28/2018, 9:33 pm

once, our landlady called the cops and six pairs of cops showed up in the dining room and six police cars parked around the yard and parking lot.
We were REALLY scared and did not learn til much later the landlady thought we were in danger because someone had been seen running down the middle of the street we lived on.
They had no idea who I was or we were. They would seem to dismiss me when i said something that sounded responsible, like i had a job training bus drivers and I liked to do trainings but when someone said how afraid they were and why were there so many of them there, they would come back and eventually they took us to 72 hour hold in a psych ward of a local general hospital.
What would have helped?
If someone could have explained who we were at different times?
Yet, if that information was too public, we might have lost the job we had then.
Written by Debby with Krathyn...

wishing you well-
Krathyn, Sebastian, Strawberry, (6 Little Kathies), kathrynmarie
Krathyn of We5:    we accept all intentions of support--

krathyn148@gmail.com
manysunshine
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by manysunshine on 3/28/2018, 9:37 pm

Omgosh that sounds sooo scary!! That 72 hour hold is what we’re trying to prevent if we can. Educate them so they understand better we are no threat. Thank you for sharing
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 3/28/2018, 9:44 pm

if we could have kept Debby out front then they may have gone home.

wishing you well-

krathyn148@gmail.com
manysunshine
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by manysunshine on 3/29/2018, 7:22 am

with that much triggering you there was probably a lot of switching. It’s not Debbie’s fault it was a hard situation for all of you.
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 3/29/2018, 9:08 am

I think that for one presentation, you are taking on too much material.

Possibly, just think about 'trauma-informed care - meaning - not necessarily about DID, but about 'traumatized - folks' that they probably deal with a lot. As a survivor, you can provide an 'inside look' at 'how' it feels to be misunderstood by untrained professionals. And, also how it feels when someone is trained to deal with traumatized folks.

For instance, when they are 'pulled into the field' or answer a crisis call, workers do not have a clue what they are stepping into. All different folks can be involved - suicidal over a situation, have a setback from meds, etc.

So, include 'empathy' - going in with an open mind - understanding the situation - how? What to look for - include research -the symptoms - how do traumatized individuals behave? What are some mis-information out there?

Then, move to how first-respondenters can/should react to the symptoms to get person stabilized before continuing doing their job.

Once they are stabilized - how to move forward without re-traumatizing. How to recognize that - and, go back again when needed.

All of these are backed by a ton of research - giving you credibility.

So, you could begin with stories like have been shared - and how practicing these things could have alleviated disastrous endings - which I think is what they want in training. They truly aren't out to hurt anyone - but to help.

Was that at all helpful? Not telling you how to do it - just imagining how first-responders could gain a clear, personal understanding of how to interact with trauma-survivors would be so appreciated by them.

You don't want to present by telling them how they have failed or done it wrong - or, present yourself as the expert - I know you wouldn't do that - still important to remember that they are there as a resource - to help folks. They remember stories about how they have saved folks lives. Maybe, include some of those also. And, they are the experts - really - and, wouldn't be attending if they weren't motivated to learn more.

If you want to tackle DID in a presentation - wow - I guess I don't understand - because DID is actually secondary to PTSD, and the techniques that they would use to stabilize someone is exactly the same. Think about MH folks trying to figure out whether a person is 'switching' or in a flashback and/or what? All of that includes them grounding the person - so, that they can talk to them - and, not doing anything to further traumatize them. One of the symptoms they would be asked to recognize is whether the person is grounded in the 'now'. Obviously, someone confused and speaking outside the 'norm' is not grounded in the 'now'. DID folks, themselves, do not understand the complex nature of flashbacks - and, many do not have the skills to ground themselves. Sometimes, that is all they need to stabilize. MH folks often do have these skills - just not fully aware of when and how to use them.

Okay - I know that you have your own ideas - just giving input - mostly based on what I would love to see in a presentation.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
krathyn
krathyn
krathyn

Post by krathyn on 3/29/2018, 12:03 pm

great point, and possibly grounding and calm atmosphere (which there was NOT)
would have made it possible for us to switch a lot less.

wishing you well-

krathyn148@gmail.com
manysunshine
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by manysunshine on 3/29/2018, 1:16 pm

Good point and believe us we WILL have plenty of emperical reaseaech and of course focus on trauma informed care..however we will include how to work with someone who has DID because that is what we’ve found where they really have no clue. Of course we will not put them down but we will try to give examples of what is more appropriate or comfortable with folks with DID so they can understand some subtleties. We will have a harder time because people with DID don’t all experience having DID exactly the same which is why we are asking for input. This way, we may be able to see what similarities come up as well as differences. Ie if all of the people who respond on here say something and one or two only say something else, we can have more of an idea along with the research of what to put in the presentation to help the responders best and the survivors best as well.
Ursus
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by Ursus on 4/9/2018, 10:51 pm

WE have done that here (other side of the world). It took much planning and talking, getting feedback from different people along the way. But here's some thoughts.

-make it about them, not about you. What do they need to be able to help you.
-Break it down into smaller chunks. Like almost everybody does know some sort of DID. FI you walk into a shop were they sell the soap your granny used. You instantly are transported back and also remember her favorite dress. Now while normal people return to the now after a short moment, we might get stuck there.
-Take them on guided-story, telling them what DID means in the now. You don't need to tell the why.
-I also made a 5 minute film, trying to translate my experiences into various immages. They thought that very emotional and impressive.
-Another DID moment almost evybody knows: The moment they drive through a trafficklight and can't remember properly if it was green, just assuming it was and the correct decission was made.
-First talk to one of them about your first ideas, get as much feedback as possible.
-Talk in a neutral place.
-Don't make it to long, 30 to 45 minutes as a max.
-Don't worry that you can't cover everything in such a period. It will be plenty enough for a first.
-Write it all down and read it. Stick to what you have written.
-Share your presentation with a friend, get support and feedback.
-Make use of immages, sounds, whatever.
-Don't get bogged down in a sub-subject
-Make it general, not personal
-Explain about language-useage
-Perhaps tell them about body-memory. How a pain in the ear might trigger a memory of someone hitting you there. (Just en example ofcourse)
-don't make it personal
-don't make it personal, but general
-keep it safe.
-ask many questions. What do they need from you?

I have now done this many times, I don't get scared anymore and know how to structure such an evening (they generally are that).

Ursus
felicity
Felicity Lee
Felicity Lee

Post by felicity on 4/10/2018, 4:33 pm

Wow, great ideas. You do a wonderful job - I have 100% faith in you.

It looks like IG is going to be looking at doing more presentations like this - because of the expense of planning and executing conferences - and, because so many want these type presentations. They are less expensive for the attendees also. Make sure that you also remind me to set you up for CEU's also.

I like that it will be 'educational' rather than well.... based on personal experience - you have the background to give a very informative presentation.

Don't miss the Ivory Garden Conference this year!!

https://igdid.org
Who is Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation?

https://ivorygardensite.com/

Contact Pat Goodwin, MA
President: Ivory Garden Nonprofit Corporation

felicity4us2@gmail.com
whisperings
1,000+ Posts
1,000+ Posts

Post by whisperings on 4/10/2018, 10:14 pm

I am glad you are tackling this. I do wish they understood better. I remember we got scared the first time they took us to a hospital and we got out of bed and huddled on the floor and when they found us there they got mad at us and threatened to strap us to the bed. We were not trying tying to be bad, but we were scared. I think it relates to our body’s age may not always match the age of who is out in the body at the time.
manysunshine
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by manysunshine on 4/26/2018, 6:52 am

@ ursus -- Thank you!! that was very helpful. Yes, we are not making it personal and are using power point since that's what we used in our Master's program for Marriage and Family Therapy --- and lots of research so they can understand this IS real and has emperical evidence and we will use "real life" examples, which is also why we wanted input. This is something general and not something that is made specific for specific countys or states or whatever. It's about treating people like people who are intelligent who are having a hard time and that is universal, it's just that with c-ptsd and DID, there are other things to consider when working with them that a lot of crisis lines and/or MH police do not know. So, Like Krathin said, we are going to be general in a sense that we all deserve respect and then a little more specific when explaining how to de-escalate someone with c-ptsd and/or DID. @ whisperings, we have had a very similar experience in gen psych h. Unfortunately, we are not doing the inservice for them, but if the inservice goes well, hopefully, the situation will be de-escalated properly which means not so many people have to go inpatient. We understand your fear from that and are sorry for you and us that we have had to go through that.
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is 10/18/2018, 4:19 pm